Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old October 21st, 2017, 10:39 AM #1

Question Hi cap mag legality question

So heres the problem: I was trying to find some more mags for my VZ and all I can find are 30 rders. Then I got to thinking about the law. As it says:

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable
magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

But what if they were dissembled, then they become componets. And components aren't regulated as far as I know. You have them shipped to you as parts then assemble them together. So here the question, does assembly mean the same as manufacturing? I mean you aren't really crafting the parts, just putting them together. I have talked to multiple Leos' that didn't know and even called the ATF but received no response. So I thought I'd ask the experts instead.
Mr.Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:42 AM #2
boundlessdyad

boundlessdyad

You hit 50 posts now and can view the water cooler so please search as this has been addressed numerous times.
boundlessdyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:43 AM #3

Just drive to a neighboring state and buy them if you can find them. No gray area. I wouldn't want to try to argue that I didn't "manufacture" but just "assembled".

The ability to express yourself freely is so uniquely tied to the ability to defend yourself freely.

--Richard "Mack" Machowicz

NRA Member
MSI Member
SAF Member
jonnyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:53 AM #4

Having all the parts together could be construed as constructive intent. It's kinda like having an Uzi carbine with a 16" barrel...legally owned before the ban...and buying an Uzi submachine gun barrel. Just by having both in the same place can be construed as constructive intent to make a short barreled rifle. It doesn't matter whether you had no intent to do so...mere possession is enough. Whether actual charges could be brought is another matter...but it could cause you trouble and confiscation of the materials as contraband, get your name in the newspaper and give a gun unfriendly state's attorney face time on the television news to enhance his next election chances.
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:53 AM #5
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

I believe a new company was founded recently... High Capacity Magazine Kits-R-Us or High Capacity Magazine Kits Depot. Or something like that.

Buts it's probably easier and much more legal to just purchase them pre-assembled from a dealer in Free America.
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:55 AM #6

Maryland is not so big a state you can't drive a reasonable distance to VA, PA or DE and buy what you want.
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:08 AM #7
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Short trip QA to DE and avoid breaking the law. "Assembling" is sure to be the same as "manufacturing" in the eyes of a prosecutor with an anti-2A state of mind. Pretty sure ATF has no concern about MD magazine cap laws, likewise local LEO's are not MD firearm law experts either. In QA they are more likely to be familiar with the legality of a loaded shotgun in a vehicle or leaning against the bumper or tailgate of a pickup truck. Feel free to be the test case if you can afford the jail time and attorney's fees to prove otherwise.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:17 AM #8
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smalls View Post
So heres the problem: I was trying to find some more mags for my VZ and all I can find are 30 rders. Then I got to thinking about the law. As it says:

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable
magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

But what if they were dissembled, then they become componets. And components aren't regulated as far as I know. You have them shipped to you as parts then assemble them together. So here the question, does assembly mean the same as manufacturing? I mean you aren't really crafting the parts, just putting them together. I have talked to multiple Leos' that didn't know and even called the ATF but received no response. So I thought I'd ask the experts instead.
Take a trip to Delaware and save the sales tax to boot.

Many manufacturers simply assemble parts that other companies "craft".
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:05 PM #9
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smalls View Post
Yes, absolutely. Further, it implies a conscious attempt to subvert the purpose of the law. As others've already (correctly) suggested, just take a joy-trip to another state, buy whatever mags you need/want and carry them home. According to the MD Asst State Attorney General, this is perfectly legal.

Fortunately, although Maryland's legislatures ARE babies with plump Pampers, they aren't Californians....yet. Thank you lucky stars for that, son.
fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:15 PM #10

Order on line, shipping to a address out of MD. and pick them up at ,the friend or relative on the next visit,
jollymon is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues