Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old October 18th, 2017, 08:08 PM #1

HBAR.....Why?

So I'll admit, knowing that there is likely a 99.442% probability this issue has been discussed somewhere on this forum, I did not preform a solid level of research or due diligence before giving up. But I did search a little, for like 5 minutes, and therefore ask that you humor me as newb who just didn't know any better. Thanks!

The question: I can't imagine that Maryland's AR HBAR requirements are justified by anything even close to being valid or logical. So I'm not sure why I'm asking, but I just gotta know. Is it because they feel the rifles will be safer if heavier (using gun control logic here!), longer, or thicker? Did I miss the point? Have they ever provided a justification, just for funsies?

Thanks!
BigNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:14 PM #2

Laws have to be justified by anything? Apparently not.
gwchem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:16 PM #3
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

An HBAR is a target rifle.
Target shooting is a sport.

Target rifles and assault rifles are two different things, one is good and one is bad.
Bad guns have a mind of their own and must be banned by important people in Annapolis who wear suits and eat lunch with other important people who wear suits.
Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

Ask me why an 11 round magazine is more dangerous than a 10 round magazine.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: It’s the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a person’s heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:20 PM #4

And why is the AR-15 more so dangerous as the AR 10?

“By the way I call it "moral obedience" rather than "civil disobedience" because compiling with God's law can never be "disobedient". Those who try to promote un-natural laws on us are committing moral disobedience. It is our duty to resist immoral laws and actions.” By Richard Fry.
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:25 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
An HBAR is a target rifle.
Target shooting is a sport.

Target rifles and assault rifles are two different things, one is good and one is bad.
Bad guns have a mind of their own and must be banned by important people in Annapolis who wear suits and eat lunch with other important people who wear suits.
Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

Ask me why an 11 round magazine is more dangerous than a 10 round magazine.
OK why is 11 rounds more dangerous then 10
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:41 PM #6
Crna Ovca

Crna Ovca

Just because
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man...2017?is Maryland shall issue yet!!!
thomfantomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:51 PM #7
East of Wonder Woman

East of Wonder Woman

I though the requirement was so you couldn't attach the M203 Grenade Launcher. Or so I was told. Libtards don't make sense 'cause they're Libtards.
K-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:02 PM #8
97% Deplorable

97% Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellsfurn View Post
OK why is 11 rounds more dangerous then 10
The MD General Assembly watched "This Is Spinal Tap" and decided 11 was far too powerful for amateurs.
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:04 PM #9

You did not miss the point. Maryland is stupid. Very stupid.
5.56blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM #10
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

The ban is based on Dianne Feinstein's old Assault Weapons List from about 1988-1989.

That list was the basis for Clinton's AWB of 1994-2004. It was used by Maryland when so-called "Assault Weapons" were Regulated (Form 77r and 7 day wait), and used for the ban of 2013.

The List is used by other states, but I don't know if other states versions include the HBAR exemption.

The List was created by a pair of Dianne Feinstein's staffers, who said they went down to the newstand at lunch time and bought a copy of Gun Digest. They went through the catalog section in the back and listed every long gun that looked scary, or unsuited for wabbit hunting. Seriously.

Because the List was created in 1988, it is full of odd guns few have ever heard of, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster. (The latter was NOT an AR, but rather an odd combination of AK and AR features, never produced in large numbers. Years later, after the Bushmaster rifle failed, the company turned to making ARs.) Except for a few revisions (I think) in 1994, the List has never been updated, which is why it does not include rifles like the SCAR and Tavor.

Anyway, in 1988 ARs were not being made by dozens of companies. If you wanted an AR, you pretty much chose among the Colts: the rifle or the carbine. They also had a target version- the Colt HBAR Sporter. This was coming into favor with serious High Power competitors for bullseye competition.

When legislation is proposed, there is always dealing and hoss trading and compromising. The argument was made that AR15s were increasingly used by serious target shooters. Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Further, with the AR15 being added to Maryland's Regulated list, it was pointed out that Junior Competitors between the ages of 18 and 20 would be unable to possess the increasingly favored target rifle of choice. Thus the HBAR exemption.

By the way, I'm always a little annoyed when I read well-meaning rants about how stupid the HBAR exemption is. What do the ranters expect, that the Slavering Gun Grabbers will suddenly see the light, and revoke all restrictions on gun ownership? Just repeal all the anti gun laws? I do not think they will.

Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles