• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Folks on MDS seem to know things before the media, so I'm wondering what anyone has heard regarding stores in the Owings Mills mall site that is demolished.

I have heard Costco, Trader Joe's, and Chick-fil-A, though with a CFA going in at Foundry Row and also up by Franklin High School that seems unlikely.

Any info/scuttlebutt?

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Metro, it was great for the mall. Did do nuffins just get on da train, steal stuff and take da train back to da hood. Yo. Your tax dollars at work!

That's what happened at the Owings mills mall. My wife worked there for a while and the dindoos would come in en mass distract the help and steal them blind. It was more profitable to close the store. This is why the new outdoor mall will fail unless they build a wall. Why would any business want to be there?

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Metro, it was great for the mall. Did do nuffins just get on da train, steal stuff and take da train back to da hood. Yo. Your tax dollars at work!

Take da train back to da hood? Sheeet, just steal a car and ride in style. Owings Mills Mall used to lead BC for car thefts.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Being reported that many self-robbing stores will be built.

The idea is to decrease dangerous interaction between thug and worker.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    The only way these stores are going to be able to operate is if their respective corporate headquarters are willing to spend the money on both plainclothes loss prevention and an armed guard. Loss prevention catches the thieves and the armed guard prevents robberies and assists the loss prevention if they get attacked. It's the only approach that works when you're dealing with Baltimore City criminals. The problem is that this type of approach costs about $100k per year, per store. Quality armed security doesn't come cheap. If these stores don't have a store detective and an armed guard on duty at all times they will eventually be forced to close due to rampant theft, multiple robberies and, eventually, the murder of one or more employees.

The question then becomes, why open a store at all in one of these locations with all the additional overhead on account of crime? Owings Mills is a dump. I used to live close by. Never again.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I dunno, the way brick and mortar retail is going I wouldn't invest in a new, old-school mall of any sort.

Hunt Valley is doing OK and that's their model--so maybe it'll have legs. I hope they are also building mixed-use to include housing and office space to hedge their bets.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I dunno, the way brick and mortar retail is going I wouldn't invest in a new, old-school mall of any sort.

Hunt Valley is doing OK and that's their model--so maybe it'll have legs. I hope they are also building mixed-use to include housing and office space to hedge their bets.

Malls are dead.

Shopping 'villages' are the thing.

Each store is responsible for its own problems, redevelopment is possible at any time, and multiple use (including residential) can bolster the viability of the project.

Now, in OM, I would call the area overdeveloped, what with Foundry Row and Wegman's, etc. on 140, and what already exists on Liberty Road.

But, Commienuts and the County Council (as is the norm in most areas) will push for a tax base, rather than look out for the safety of a community.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

This pretty much sums it up. There is,a glut of empty retail space and it is going to get worse.

The group trying to develop the mall tried to get Wegmans. They lost. They filed suit against the developers of Foundry Row, they lost. I doubt it will be retail, more likely mixed use with industrial and service companies. Basically, they lost.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    It undoubtably end up looking like Grand Central Ave in Owings Mills, The Crown in Gaithersburg, etc.

There is a rumor floating around that a similar plan is in the works for the Westminster Mall...

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    It undoubtably end up looking like Grand Central Ave in Owings Mills, The Crown in Gaithersburg, etc.

There is a rumor floating around that a similar plan is in the works for the Westminster Mall...

Westminster has a mall? Who knew?

Oh, you mean that empty building attached to Dick's. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom