• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

I'm buying a .22 rifle for the granddaughter, age 8, and I'm thinking of a Henry. I've looked for an old marlin, but they are scarce and I've been told the Henry's are a nice rifle.

Anyone here have any real life experience with the Henry Brand? How easy are they to clean/strip? I like to clean from the breach end.

Thanks.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Henry's are great all around. 5 screws and the receiver cover is off for cleaning. I suppose you could clean from the breach end if you wanted to. I have not.

They shoot great. Lever is the smoothest you will feel on a factory rifle. And mine eats anything including shorts without any issues.

My 6 year old cannot old mine up very well. Not sure about an 8 year old. They also make standard models in carbine and youth models. I'd give that a try.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Henry’s work well. Cost effective and a lever gun is a great way to train patience and regiment compared to a semi

cb51

What about the zamack receiver? I always associated that material with cheap Raven .25's and disposable RG .22 revolvers. I may have been spoiled by my Marlin 39TD, but I can't find a used marlin anywhere around here.

The thing that drew me to Henry was it is very similar in operation to my Marlin, and Bree really liked the lever action. My Marlin is going to be hers' when I go, but I ain't dead yet so I'm looking for a rifle for her until then. Henry does make a little 16 inch barrel like my 39TD. But I worry about the Henry being not so good construction.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    We shoot ours probably 3 or more times a month and I'll bet over 15,000 rounds through it... no wear that I can see and never had a functional problem with it. Minimal maintenance. I shoot a blast of solvent down the barrel after every session and then a good cleaning of the action and barrel every third or forth outing. Ours appears to be very well made. Your mileage may vary :-)

cb51

We shoot ours probably 3 or more times a month and I'll bet over 15,000 rounds through it... no wear that I can see and never had a functional problem with it. Minimal maintenance. I shoot a blast of solvent down the barrel after every session and then a good cleaning of the action and barrel every third or forth outing. Ours appears to be very well made. Your mileage may vary :-)

That's my question; how easy is it to strip down the action for cleaning?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have a Henry Evil Roy in .22. The action is very smooth but might be a bit heavy for an 8 year old as it's got an octagon barrel and oversize lever.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    What about the zamack receiver? I always associated that material with cheap Raven .25's and disposable RG .22 revolvers. I may have been spoiled by my Marlin 39TD, but I can't find a used marlin anywhere around here.

The thing that drew me to Henry was it is very similar in operation to my Marlin, and Bree really liked the lever action. My Marlin is going to be hers' when I go, but I ain't dead yet so I'm looking for a rifle for her until then. Henry does make a little 16 inch barrel like my 39TD. But I worry about the Henry being not so good construction.

That always bothered me too but it’s also a $230 gun and probablyly fine for a .22. Not sure if the Evil Roy’s or silver boys have a different metal.

Warwolvesinspace

Hoarder of Shinies
    Oct 2, 2016
    I can't recommend the Browning BL-22 enough. The shorter lever throw is nice. Also have a Marlin Cherokee Strip. I'd still pick the browning.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I can't recommend the Browning BL-22 enough. The shorter lever throw is nice. Also have a Marlin Cherokee Strip. I'd still pick the browning.
    The Browning also has a steel receiver, in case this matters. Browning also has a smaller version of the BL-22 called the BL-22 Micro Midas. Same quality components, short throw action, etc, but shorter barrel and length of pull. It's also typically $100 less than the standard BL-22.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Had a Henry, cheap compared to counterparts. Browning, Marlin 39 or Winchester 9422 more expensive but much better quality. Painted receiver, CHEAP follower that broke and jammed rifle to the point of damaged rifle to clear. Pretty and smooth until problems arise. I think mine was a H0001 or something like that.

I think they came up with a thicker better follower later in life so look for that. They sent me another free so obviously I'm not the only one.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    Love my Frontier model, but might be a bit heavy for an 8 yr old. As far as cleaning, I think they actually recommend not stripping it all the way down...from the owners manual:

"HOW TO CLEAN YOUR HENRY LEVER RIFLE...The balance of the bolt assembly and action are maintenance free.
    IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE THAT IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO TAKE YOUR HENRY LEVER ACTION APART TO KEEP IT CLEAN."

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    That always bothered me too but it’s also a $230 gun and probablyly fine for a .22. Not sure if the Evil Roy’s or silver boys have a different metal.

Here's a write-up on the .22 Evil Roy. It looked like a cut above the standard Henry's and I NEEDED a lever action as I didn't have any.*
    So I started with this one.
    " What looks like brushed stainless is an alloy. "
    REF:
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/henry-frontier-carbine-evil-roy-edition/

*I need MANY MANY more lever action rifles.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    Concur with TargetGrade assessment. But one thing that separates the Henry is the great customer service. For example, I ordered one on line (small game rifle). Gun came in and the stock was much darker than the forearm. Completely mismatched. One call to Henry and three days later a new stock arrived at the house. I don't know if you would get that type of response from out of production models from other manufacturers. Just something to consider as you contemplate a purchase. Of course, the prettiest .22 I ever handled was a 39A. Should have bought that one!

cb51

After watching that video, I wouldn't have a Browning lever action on a bet! Jeez, my Marlin 39 takes about 5 seconds to strip and about the same to put back together. I can't even imagine trying to clean that Browning out someplace.

I think I'll keep looking for a used Marlin 39 or a bolt action something. Even the video I saw on youtube on taking down the Henry wasn't near that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom