• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Is it possible Merrick Garland learned his lesson?

His anti-2A view cost him a seat at the Supreme Court.

I think the difference is that unlike places like CA and NY etc., where permits are restricted but judges and connected people can still get them, DC restricts permits to only those carrying large sums of money, valuables and caring for a disabled person, period. Above all else the DCC judges still live in this area and work in DC so they experience a non-elitist viewpoint just like most of the population.

Often times the leftists can be so ravenous that they become a detriment to themselves.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think the difference is that unlike places like CA and NY etc., where permits are restricted but judges and connected people can still get them, DC restricts permits to only those carrying large sums of money, valuables and caring for a disabled person, period. Above all else the DCC judges still live in this area and work in DC so they experience a non-elitist viewpoint just like most of the population.

Often times the leftists can be so ravenous that they become a detriment to themselves.

Didn’t stop the 4th Circuit from ruling against us in Woollard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Can’t help but wonder if the Democrats plus Henderson strategy is to give this case a comparatively quick trip to the Supreme Court while their views still have a substantial chance to prevail. At any rate, it is doubtful that this denial is on the merits as perceived by Henderson and the Democrat appointees, or so it seems to me.

Regards
    Jack

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    Hi all,

Please accept my apologies if I sound dense. I understand the wording in the ruling, I understand the overall outcome. But, what kind of timeline does this give us MD'ers? The court system usually takes what seems like a long time, especially in a case like this. Are we looking at years for MD to become a shall issue?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I think we knew it was going this way back on Sept. 16th. The fix was in. Evident by the Smiles on the faces of the Patriot Picket after speaking with Dick Heller.
    bebaba4d07e5c8f6229df2238eee4d21.jpg
    e501ce4b85a2efe75b4314471cfd109b.jpg

Sent from the 3rd Rock

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine said in a statement that police can continue to enforce the "good reason" requirement until the appeals court issues what's called a mandate in about a week. Racine said he's reviewing options for how to proceed. The city could decide to ask the Supreme Court to hear the case.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hi all,

Please accept my apologies if I sound dense. I understand the wording in the ruling, I understand the overall outcome. But, what kind of timeline does this give us MD'ers? The court system usually takes what seems like a long time, especially in a case like this. Are we looking at years for MD to become a shall issue?

As of right now, there is no time line.

DC has to petition the Supreme Court for their to be a timeline that will affect Maryland.
    "If" DC petitions the court and cert is granted, the case will normally be heard this session, and an opinion rendered before the summer break (July 2018).

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    As of right now, there is no time line.

DC has to petition the Supreme Court for their to be a timeline that will affect Maryland.
    "If" DC petitions the court and cert is granted, the case will normally be heard this session, and an opinion rendered before the summer break (July 2018).

That depends upon conference dates. That briefing schedule might be VERY tight.

Cert Petition due in what? 30 days, extensions[From esq MSI writeup] "DC has 90 days in which to file a petition for certiorari, plus extensions" and unmentioned stay requests.

Conference might not even happen until 1/1/18 won't happen until late in the 17/18 term (essentially).

Probably the Fall term of 2018 for oral arguments w/ a 6/30/2019 ruling.

IF DC files for SCOTUS review. We are 20 months from anything that may impact MD.

Last edited:

stm

Mar 9, 2012
    This is really wonderful news but we all know the fight is far from over. DC will take this to SCOTUS and i fully expect us to win.... then DC will really turn the screws. Preposterous training requirements, super short renewal requirements, astronomical fees, etc. There will be further legal wrangling on this for the foreseeable future.

One positive for us in the Capital Region is that the DC permit is sure to be one of if not the most stringent in the nation so a DC license will have reciprocity everywhere even if we never see a national conceal carry reciprocity bill hit the floor.
    Sounds like you've been to Illinois! No permit is more expensive or requires more training than Illinois' CCL. With 23 categories of prohibited areas, I'm not sure if there are any more restrictive "shall-issue" permits out there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That depends upon conference dates. That briefing schedule might be VERY tight.

Cert Petition due in what? 30 days, extensions, stay requests

Conference might not even happen until 1/1/18 (essentially).

Probably the fall term of 2018 for arguments w/ a 6/30/2019 ruling.

IF DC files for SCOTUS review. We are 20 months from anything that may impact MD.

ESQ said 90 days to apply for CERT

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am hoping there is no stay pending review. That would force DC to file at a faster pace.

The longer they have to issue permits, without blood in the streets. The harder their argument will be to support.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This is really wonderful news but we all know the fight is far from over. DC will take this to SCOTUS and i fully expect us to win.... then DC will really turn the screws. Preposterous training requirements, super short renewal requirements, astronomical fees, etc. There will be further legal wrangling on this for the foreseeable future.

One positive for us in the Capital Region is that the DC permit is sure to be one of if not the most stringent in the nation so a DC license will have reciprocity everywhere even if we never see a national conceal carry reciprocity bill hit the floor.

Don't count on it, after all, MD doesn't have reciprocity with anyone.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'm not really thrilled with this going to SCOTUS unless the President can get one more appointment to the court. I simply don't trust them to do the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom