• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You do know there are probably more newbie, inexperienced seasonal cops with their .38s on duty than there are full time on any given shift, right? I don't expect too many people with a 4 week familiarization academy knows enough to be aggressive.

When we went a couple weekends ago, I saw a newbie with a revolver on his right hip pointed completely back behind him, bore parallel to the ground and butt of the grip up(So he wasn't even running cross-draw). He'd have to essentially take a bow first to get the gun out of the holster, it was incredible.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    In some make you "feel good" news OC has enlisted outside PD "backup" for the weekend.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/07...ide-agencies-for-weekends-unsanctioned-event/

“We’re going to receive assistance from the Maryland State Police, the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office and the Maryland Transportation Authority police department,” he said. “Collectively, with the OCPD we will have a full complement of law enforcement officers in town this weekend. Our citizenry, including our visitors and our residents, will see a high visibility of law enforcement officers throughout the weekend,” he said.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I'd apply except they can't carry Billy Clubs any more...cuz they were too intimidating... :mad54:

I'd gladly be the Wood Shampoo apply-er.... :innocent0

Oh, you want to be a hard head??? CRACKKKKKKK...... :party29:

Don't ever recall any loud mouth a-holes messing with an old school city cop who was standing there twirling his nightstick... ya know, before they started calling them a "baton"...

Watched Police Officers do that when I was a kid and was impressed.

Years ago I knew a guy who was of all things a court clerk in Balto City. He told me that when he was young and a hooligan BC Officers would whip him with that leather strap when they caught him doing something wrong. Apparently that is how the officers dealt with juveniles. Must have straightened him out as he went into the Army and got a good job as an adult. Never heard of that from anyone else before or after.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    It was like walking through west baltimore. I've never felt uneasy on the boardwalk...but i was constantly scanning all around to keep from being robbed.

Wow, sounds rough.

What a shame. We used to have a lot of fun at OC when I was a kid. Now I don't even want to take my kid there.

-John

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    We just got back Sunday after spending 10 days down there. We were staying just across the Delaware line. I did not notice anything different and it even seemed less crowded traffic wise. We never hit the boardwalk anymore and in fact we did not venture much further south of 94th St. this trip.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Wow, sounds rough.

What a shame. We used to have a lot of fun at OC when I was a kid. Now I don't even want to take my kid there.

-John

Yup. I came across this today.

Five Held After Gunpoint Robbery
    Shawn J. Soper
    Managing Editor
    OCEAN CITY -- Five Washington, D.C. area residents were arrested on first-degree assault and other serious charges early Monday morning after a verbal altercation downtown turned physical and resulted in at least one victim being “pistol whipped” and robbed at gunpoint.
    Around 2:40 a.m. on Monday, Ocean City Police Department (OCPD) officers were dispatched to the area of 2nd Street and St. Louis Avenue for a reported assault. The investigation revealed two groups of people had been involved in a verbal altercation that escalated into a physical altercation. Members of one group assaulted a victim and stole their cell phone, while another victim was struck in the head with a handgun.
    The assaulting group then left the area in a vehicle. Through the investigation, OCPD officers were able to locate the vehicle and it was stopped on Route 50 near the Wal-Mart shopping complex. During a search of the vehicle, officers located the stolen cell phone and a 9mm handgun.
    Five individuals were arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault, having a handgun in a vehicle and the use of a handgun in the commission of a felony. Among those arrested were Monae Harrington, 20, of Waldorf; Novio Smallwood, 16, of Capitol Heights; Jayvonta Thomas, 22, of Hyattsville; Tijay Thomas, 19, of Hyattsville; Joquan Vinson, 16, of Capitol Heights; and Quincy Whitman, 22, of Suitland.
    Each was transferred to the Worcester County Jail and held without bond. More details will be provided as they become available.
    Last weekend the OCPD partnered with a number of law enforcement agencies to step up patrols and visibility as a result of a College Beach Weekend event that has caused trouble in Ocean City and other resort destinations in recent years.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I just got off the OC boardwalk. Took the wife and kids. (Wife and I havent been to OC boardwalk in over 15 years) I thought the boardwalk was great. We had a wonderful time. Granted we were there from noon to 2 pm. I will not go there at night.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Was downy oshun on Sunday. At the boardwalk with the fam at night. Left about 10pm. No issues at all. Had a great time at sportland arcade.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I just got back after having gone down there Sunday morning. We stayed at a hotel on 6th street and as I was taking out luggage in, I noticed a police SUV sitting behind the building with the officer using his phone. When I was upstairs putting stuff away, I saw that there were about a half dozen officers on the boardwalk beside my hotel. They were talking to a group of people. I also noticed that there were a police van and a couple other cars in the alley beside the hotel. In the end, I only saw one guy get walked off. He wasn't in cuffs, but one officer had each arm in a death grip. Later, they asked another group sitting in front of the hotel to move along. Not sure what was up with that. Monday greeted us with an ambulance and 2 other fire vehicles parked outside. They never put anyone in the ambulance but a guy did bring back one of the red things that life guards carry. All in all, the biggest problem was on Sunday when it seemed that part of the boardwalk was taken over by people who did not know how to pull up their pants. On the plus side, if they did rob you, they couldn't run fast.

This is the beach I go to.
    First one to ID it gets a beer...

Attachments

• Ocracoke-Village.jpg
      Ocracoke-Village.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 258

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I really like fishing off the Route 50 bridge after midnight but I hate the idea of worrying about getting held up by the Suitland mafia.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I really like fishing off the Route 50 bridge after midnight but I hate the idea of worrying about getting held up by the Suitland mafia.

You and me both. I used to enjoy it, now I have decided it may not be worth it. My best friend got hit with a salt shaker thrown from a car. That could have been much worse if it was a beer bottle or something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom