• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    Anyone ever done the Springfield XDM .40cal to 9mm conversion? I believe all it takes is a 9mm barrel and 9mm mags. Is this correct?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    there are aftermarket barrels that can do it, but I'm not sure about just sticking a factory 9mm barrel into a .40 slide and calling it good as the OD might be different.

However, the .45 and 9mm XDs are exchangeable this way, just swap the barrel and mag and you're gtg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The outside diameter should be the same, but the breechface is wider on the 40, so the factory 9mm barrel will have a gap on either side in the breech, and more slop than a 40-9 conversion barrel. 9mm mags run better, but sometimes 40mags will even work. There may be a few hiccups from the extractor/ejector given the different case dimentions, might have to play with spring rates, but most will run fine with the barrel and mag alone.

Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    Feb 2, 2012
    Southern MD
    I'm no expert but I was told it has to be the conversion barrel specifically. There is just slightly more material where it needs to be to match the .40's dimensions. I got the Storm lake conversion barrel from Midway and have swapped calibers with ease and have had no problems

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I'm no expert but I was told it has to be the conversion barrel specifically. There is just slightly more material where it needs to be to match the .40's dimensions. I got the Storm lake conversion barrel from Midway and have swapped calibers with ease and have had no problems

This! I was told the slides are different from 9mm to 40. My Storm Lake conversion barrel has worked flawlessly with 9mm mags.

Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    there are aftermarket barrels that can do it, but I'm not sure about just sticking a factory 9mm barrel into a .40 slide and calling it good as the OD might be different.

However, the .45 and 9mm XDs are exchangeable this way, just swap the barrel and mag and you're gtg

If I have a 9mm XD I can swap the .45 barrel and mags into it?

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Yep. Storm lake's conversion barrel is drop in and 9mm mag converts the XDM .40 to 9, no issues.

This! I was told the slides are different from 9mm to 40. My Storm Lake conversion barrel has worked flawlessly with 9mm mags.

No changes to spring/recoil rod, etc. Received the barrel from Midway swappers and gtg.

Thanks again. Ordered this (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GNS-836) this morning. Had thought about getting one when I had picked up the XDm a few years ago so that the wife could "ease" into handgun shooting. Just forgot about it until this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom