• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Easy answer, 147gr HSTs, they expand more than most, while penetrating well, usually top of the charts in performance, but they are also one of the most practical. 147 standard pressure has the smallest powder charge, simply takes less powder to reach pressure, so they also have the least flash/blast, and tend to run efficiently in short barrels and recoilis mild. Only downside is some pistols don't feed them well, and they may hit high. HSTs are extremely popular with LEO agencies, and easy to find in inexpensive 50rd boxes compared to 20rd civvie packaged ammo for basically the same price.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    hmm, as per the thread title, "BEST 9mm carry ammo?", um, :smoke: lots of really good suggestions here, but my question is, ever consider carrying a .45? :shrug: the FEDERAL, 124 or 147 grain HST in 9 mil has some pretty impressive reports/analysis. there again, there are too many variables to say what IS the best carry ammo. go .45 ACP and be done with the questions. :popcorn:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    hmm, as per the thread title, "BEST 9mm carry ammo?", um, :smoke: lots of really good suggestions here, but my question is, ever consider carrying a .45? :shrug: the FEDERAL, 124 or 147 grain HST in 9 mil has some pretty impressive reports/analysis. there again, there are too many variables to say what IS the best carry ammo. go .45 ACP and be done with the questions. :popcorn:

Well, he didn't mention wanting to kill the soul, so ....

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Easy answer, 147gr HSTs, they expand more than most, while penetrating well, usually top of the charts in performance, but they are also one of the most practical. 147 standard pressure has the smallest powder charge, simply takes less powder to reach pressure, so they also have the least flash/blast, and tend to run efficiently in short barrels and recoilis mild. Only downside is some pistols don't feed them well, and they may hit high. HSTs are extremely popular with LEO agencies, and easy to find in inexpensive 50rd boxes compared to 20rd civvie packaged ammo for basically the same price.

The reoccurring theme seems to be HST and Gold Dot.

I ended up ordering a 50 round box of standard pressure Federal HST 147gr 9mm ammo from Lucky Gunner. I will take it to the range and see how it shoots through my pistol.

I very much appropriate and value all the opinions I receive from this forum. I am still open for any other opinions if anyone else wants to chime in.

LOL, funny you should say that. My regular carry gun is a .45 Warthog. Guess I am from the old school too where I figure if John Browning designed a bullet to stop a charging horse with ball ammo, how could you pick a bad defensive round, right?

In the interest of full disclosure, I bought the little Sig for my wife.

This may sound lazy, but I found it a lot easier to just grab the Sig when I was picking up my wallet and keys. It may not look like it in the picture but the Warthog has some pretty good mass to deal with. The Sig P938 would fit nice and convenient in my pocket. I didn't have to take the time to belt up a holster. I know, lazy. I thought if I was going to start carrying a little 9mm, I had better get some good ammo.

Thanks again fellas.

Attachments

• 20161120_221009.1.jpg
      20161120_221009.1.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 239

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

Great article. Instead of taking a fanboy approach, it provides enough information to make an educated decision. I carry a .380 ACP. The size of the gun (a Beretta Pico) fits the recoil of the round. I am accurate with either hand to 10 yards, and at 6+1-capacity, it gives me what I need to feel safe. Your choice might be different. If it works for you, then that's what matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I guess that you watched a different video than I did.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 11.42.12.jpg

this is from the video you posted. You can see that the trochars struggle to penetrate past 4" in gel (4" in gel is not the same as 4" in a human), with the only thing penetrating sufficiently being the unexpanded base. The base penetrating to 12" is better than nothing, but doesn't even beat the performance of a decent .380 load. They continue on shooting melons and ham, proving they don't reallllllly know much about terminal ballistics. Compared to most any modern hollowpoint, the RIP is craptastic.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    A testimony directly from an ER surgeon stated that dealing with seven wound channels (6 trocars and the base) would be nearly impossible and that the person who was shot would likely bleed out before getting to the ER. At the end of the day, we each trust what we choose.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A testimony directly from an ER surgeon stated that dealing with seven wound channels (6 trocars and the base) would be nearly impossible and that the person who was shot would likely bleed out before getting to the ER. At the end of the day, we each trust what we choose.

Yep, his opinion was any 2 was better than any one, regardless of what the one was or the two.

No more exotic priced ammo for me, I'll just practice my controlled pairs thank you.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    The reoccurring theme seems to be HST and Gold Dot.

I ended up ordering a 50 round box of standard pressure Federal HST 147gr 9mm ammo from Lucky Gunner. I will take it to the range and see how it shoots through my pistol.

I very much appropriate and value all the opinions I receive from this forum. I am still open for any other opinions if anyone else wants to chime in.

LOL, funny you should say that. My regular carry gun is a .45 Warthog. Guess I am from the old school too where I figure if John Browning designed a bullet to stop a charging horse with ball ammo, how could you pick a bad defensive round, right?

In the interest of full disclosure, I bought the little Sig for my wife.

This may sound lazy, but I found it a lot easier to just grab the Sig when I was picking up my wallet and keys. It may not look like it in the picture but the Warthog has some pretty good mass to deal with. The Sig P938 would fit nice and convenient in my pocket. I didn't have to take the time to belt up a holster. I know, lazy. I thought if I was going to start carrying a little 9mm, I had better get some good ammo.

Thanks again fellas.

As long as it feeds in YOUR gun and is reasonably accurate, you're good to go. The HST bullet itself is golden. You made a solid choice. Target Sports USA, Bone Frog, and SGAmmo are your friends.

My 9mms like the 147 HSTs.
    My .45s like the 230 +p HSTs.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Yep, his opinion was any 2 was better than any one, regardless of what the one was or the two.

No more exotic priced ammo for me, I'll just practice my controlled pairs thank you.

I can't disagree. At the end of the day, even quality ball ammo with good placement will get the job done.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    View attachment 191326

this is from the video you posted. You can see that the trochars struggle to penetrate past 4" in gel (4" in gel is not the same as 4" in a human), with the only thing penetrating sufficiently being the unexpanded base. The base penetrating to 12" is better than nothing, but doesn't even beat the performance of a decent .380 load. They continue on shooting melons and ham, proving they don't reallllllly know much about terminal ballistics. Compared to most any modern hollowpoint, the RIP is craptastic.

Supposedly Cliff Brown and co originally intended to patent and produce a machined projectile that expanded conventionally. The long skinny triangular petals would open up and cut a nice deep and large wound channel, but they kept breaking off. They scored the outside of the ogive radially to try to encourage them to fold back instead of breaking, but it didn't work, tougher alloys could have run into trouble with an AP designation. Running out of money they marketed the failure as a "feature" and sold what they had. Their failure coupled with gullible gun folk and some smart marketing apparently did help them solve the problems to some degree and produce a working design. Still outrageously expensive with unknown reliability and no 3rd party test data, the data they do have shows less than 10" penetration. The company also had a recall for over-pressure ammo, they blamed it on GLOCKs, not sure if it was due to excess resistance due to a hard bullet without relief grooves, or just an overloaded charge. Meanwhile HSTs and Gold dots dominate every test, every agency order, and every performance review. So carry what you want.

Attachments

• G2_civic_duty_featured-670x446.jpg
      G2_civic_duty_featured-670x446.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 132
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger