• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Anyone building loads for a Recon? My Remington 700 5R loves 175gr SMK with just about any type of powder I have tried. I have a lot loaded up with 4064 and CCI BR Primers. I bought some tipped SMK bullets (also 175gr) but have never got to the range to test them. I was think I would start with the TSMK for my Recon. I also bought a few different bullets to load for hunting whitetail deer.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I haven't spent the time to reload for mine yet, but mine seemed to like the heavier factory rounds better (180gr fusion).

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Months old thread but, I gotta ask y'all: WHAT MAGS are you having feed-and-function success with? My GII MOE came with a MagPul Gen3 mag and I am aware of the DIY mod to those specific Gen3 MagPul 308 mag followers to correct (and achieve) bolt hold open after last round; HOWEVER: I am experiencing Failure(s) to Feed (specifically, bolt "ride-over") even with steel LR/SR mags . Ejection, etc. and PARTICULARLY ACCURACY all 100% Thanks in advance … (All's I've shot (brand new rifle) are 40 rds Federal GM 168g HPBT Match … w 3 bolt ride-overs and FTFeed :-(

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I have been running Pmags, LR Pmags, and the DPMS Steel 20rnds and I have not had a problem in mine with Mag Length Rounds. The only time I have a failure is when my Brass catcher gets in the way lol.

Just curious did you clean the gun first before shooting it?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Thanks guys and oh yes, I gave the rifle a thorough cleaning and re- lubrication (field strip incl. disassembly and clean/lube bolt assembly, etc.)

It’s kind of ironic (to me) that DPMS tells customers calling “buy our (DPMS G-II) mags - they’re on th website” ($45 a pop!) and yet, everyone I know who has purchased a G-II new it came with a MagPul mag.

WTF is up with that?! :sad20:

Thanks again and good shootin’!

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    My G2 Hunter came with a 4 round DPMS mag. I just tracked down a 20 round a couple months ago for $30.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Mine came with metal 10rnd mags. I bought both 20rnd and 25rnd Pmags and even the LR Pmags and runs them all. I also have the 10rnd Pmags feed with no issue. Have you tried another type of Ammo maybe? To see what happens some cheap stuff.

Last edited:

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    The First String was only 5rnds I was unable to get setup in time. I also was unable to reset between strings to the get the SD and ES numbers as well. This is without the suppressor, no keyholing at 100yards the 10.6 and 10.3 grouped the best all within 1.5 inches for me.

Gun: DPMS GII Recon 16inch Factory Barrel
    Hornady Brass TTL. 2.005
    Flash Hole Resized
    Pockets Uniformed
    FL Resized and Neck Resized to: .332
    COAL 2.790
    178grn Hornady ELX Match
    CCI Large Rifle Primer
    Measure 10ft From Barrel to Chrono

Temp: 83
    1022.5 Baro Pressure
    27.4 Wet Bulb
    26.9 DP
    88.5 Rel Humidity
    -245ft Altitude

10.6grain Trail Boss

Avg Velocity: 1053

10.3grn Trail Boss
    Avg: 1053

Avg: 1055

10.0grain Trail Boss
    Avg: 1020

Avg: 1018

9.7grains Trail Boss
    Avg: 988

Avg: 991

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Just coming back to follow up on my question, “What mags work? (Because the mags which DPMS currently ships their GII’s with new certainly do not!):

I picked a couple Lancer .308 mags and I am ecstatic to report now at 100% feed and function! (Still using Federal Gold Match 168g HPBT)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Just coming back to follow up on my question, “What mags work? (Because the mags which DPMS currently ships their GII’s with new certainly do not!):

I picked a couple Lancer .308 mags and I am ecstatic to report now at 100% feed and function! (Still using Federal Gold Match 168g HPBT)

Magpul SR-25/AR-10 mags work.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD

I tracked down genuine DPMS 20 round 308 mags for mine. I like OEM mags for everything except ARs.

I went to the Nations Gun show in Chantilly last year twice, 4 weeks apart, and walked the entire thing 2-3 times each time I went and NEVER found one authentic DPMS mag. They're out there though

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Magpul SR-25/AR-10 mags work.

Um, not so much. Those are what DPMS is shipping their new GII’s with and bolt over-ride and failure to lock slide open after last shot appear to be the order of the day (internet fraught with vids, etc. on how to modify the follower to alleviate the latter but, as I mention, had I been able to even get to empty a mag, I probably could have lived with that). (Or, Google, “dpms 308 failure with magpul magazines” — MagPuls not working in more rifles than my own is how I found out about the Lancers. Lancers do work.)

Let me put it this way: anyone who has a GII in which MagPul mags work is fortunate and has my envy; I and the several local shooters (who confirmed for me the Lancers work before I threw money at ‘em) cannot use either the MagPuls or all steel, either 20 or 25 round capacity.

But, here’s the real question: it’s obvious DPMS makes 308 mags that feed and function in these rifles so ... why wouldn’t DPMS ship their rifles with the DPMS-made mags made to function in those same rifles?

I tracked down genuine DPMS 20 round 308 mags for mine. I like OEM mags for everything except ARs.

I went to the Nations Gun show in Chantilly last year twice, 4 weeks apart, and walked the entire thing 2-3 times each time I went and NEVER found one authentic DPMS mag. They're out there though

I’m with ya on the OEM consistency and, I am curious why DPMS 308 mags are so scarce ...

Til that changes, I’m ecstatic my gun is running 100% - with Lancer mags

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Um, not so much. Those are what DPMS is shipping their new GII’s with and bolt over-ride and failure to lock slide open after last shot appear to be the order of the day (internet fraught with vids, etc. on how to modify the follower to alleviate the latter but, as I mention, had I been able to even get to empty a mag, I probably could have lived with that). (Or, Google, “dpms 308 failure with magpul magazines” — MagPuls not working in more rifles than my own is how I found out about the Lancers. Lancers do work.)

Let me put it this way: anyone who has a GII in which MagPul mags work is fortunate and has my envy; I and the several local shooters (who confirmed for me the Lancers work before I threw money at ‘em) cannot use either the MagPuls or all steel, either 20 or 25 round capacity.

But, here’s the real question: it’s obvious DPMS makes 308 mags that feed and function in these rifles so ... why wouldn’t DPMS ship their rifles with the DPMS-made mags made to function in those same rifles?

I’m with ya on the OEM consistency and, I am curious why DPMS 308 mags are so scarce ...

Til that changes, I’m ecstatic my gun is running 100% - with Lancer mags
    Don't know what to tell you then. I assembled a DPMS pattern Aero M5 for a family friend that functions flawlessly with Magpul SR-25/AR-10 mags.

Mind sending me the link for some of the Lancer mags?

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Don't know what to tell you then. I assembled a DPMS pattern Aero M5 for a family friend that functions flawlessly with Magpul SR-25/AR-10 mags.

Mind sending me the link for some of the Lancer mags?

That's not a G2... that's a different gun that what's being discussed. They're not the same hence why the mags work in yours but the not OPs.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    That is the same thing with DPMS pattern AR-10 platforms. So I really don't see how it is a different animal, considering the G2 is based on the DPMS pattern.

Mags that work with regular DPMS AR10s don't work on the GII's. That's one way they're different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom