Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 17th, 2018, 07:40 AM #11

Have fairly large hands and own a 21SF...

One of my favorites, and the ONLY Glock I have bought (out of 5), that I didn't dislike & get rid of, nor ever plan to.

If you're ever in the Freestate range area on a weekday, shoot me a PM, and I'd gladly let you shoot mine.
71Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:48 AM #12
For great Justice

For great Justice

The "short frame" designation is not entirely accurate, the tiny difference in trigger reach is probably less than a thin pair of shooting gloves would make. The big difference is in the backstrap shape/swell, it is reduced on the SF/gen4, and seems to reduce the grip angle a bit, putting it right around a doublestack 1911's 18 degrees, and more familiar for those of us that started out on other pistols. For me personally, all gen3 and non-SF pistols point high, and take more work to keep good grip alignment, so every GLOCK I own is a gen3SF or a gen4. The gen 4s do have some worthwhile improvements, mainly the mag release and recoil spring setup. The coax recoil spring on the 4s is really nice, gives a consistent feel across a wide range of power levels, runs light 185s reliably, but also handles 230+p just fine also. My 3rd gen pistols took a heavier spring to cut down on some of the "slap" with really hot loads. The grip texture is much improved also, the 3rd gens are kinda slippery on the sides, but have edges that can chew your wands on the front/backstraps, 4th gen are rough enough to get a decent grip, but not uncomfortable. You can add backstraps to get 3rd gen or beavertail grip shapes if you like, but I prefer it without. Trade-in on older models, especially non-SF is kinda poor, so if you like it, and shoot it well, I would keep it, and if you want something a bit different get a 4th gen in another configuration. Would probably end up costing you $300+ just to swap out for a newer pistol, that more than pays for sending it out for grip work if it was that bad.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:42 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
Have fairly large hands and own a 21SF...

One of my favorites, and the ONLY Glock I have bought (out of 5), that I didn't dislike & get rid of, nor ever plan to.

If you're ever in the Freestate range area on a weekday, shoot me a PM, and I'd gladly let you shoot mine.

A Big THANKS for the offer, but I can't remember the last time I was up that way. Your Chevelle is one of the cars in my dream garage, btw. A fried had one in high school...good times!

Alucard0822, thanks for the additional info. I had read the biggest size difference was towards the pinky, where the hump is. My HK USP45 has the double recoil springs, and a much thinner grip due to the fact the mags aren't plastic covered, but I shoot the G21 as good as the USP45. I also prefer the arched mainspring housing of the 1911A1. The G21 grip does fit and allows me to control the pistol. I just want to see whether the SF or Gen4 (now that I know I can use my mags) feel better, because in a double-stack .45, even a small change could make a big difference. If they don't feel any better, I'll be even happier with the G21. If they feel noticeably better, then I'll make the swap, regardless of price, or just hold onto both.

As for my smaller framed Gen3s, they're not going anywhere any time soon. I appreciate all the feedback on the grip sizes, but I don't compete, or carry, so grip muscle memory is not that crucial to me, especially since I want to continue enjoying other handguns that are even less ergonomic than the G21. I have shot alongside people who will not hold or grip handguns that are not theirs for fear of messing up their muscle memory; I'm not that kind of shooter.

My two favorite, off the shelf, centerfire, auto-loader "grips", or better said "ergonomics," are that of the CZ75 (original or B, hard plastic. I'd love to find a hard plastic or G10 grip with the shape of their factory rubber grips) and SigSauer P220 .45 (hard plastic, with a preference for the checkered), followed closely by a SigSauer P226 (either texture, hard plastic).

I hope everyone has a great week!
Old September 19th, 2018, 01:31 PM #14

I have XXXL hands . A standard G20 is shootable , but feels mehh . The SF actually fits medium- good . ( 10mm & .45acp same frame sizes .)

The CZ-75 does have a nice grip , almost as good as the Browning Hi Power grips from which the Czech's blatantly and admittedly tried to copy .

And the best grip shape of the traditional SIGs is the P225 .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns