• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The CMMG 9mm now has a 3rd BCG and it's still not running right for stuff it used to work with. One interesting development, I fired three different loads out of it, but instead of using the optic, I used the attached laser to aim so I could watch what was going on. With 115gr Federal aluminum case, the rounds were dribbling out of the gun and brass was caught in the ejection port. I had a neat pile of brass on the table right next to the rifle :confused: With 124gr Sig brass cased, ejection was brisk and it worked fine. With Sig 147gr, the brass was once again dribbling out of the port and I was getting brass stuck in the port. This on top of the gas key in my Spike's (which was working fine until this week) snapped off. Spike's only uses one screw to hold the gas key on. I will call them up on Monday to see if I can get a replacement under warranty or not. :sad20: So I was forced to shoot Steel Challenge with a pistol today.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    That sucks. Glad I didn’t spend all the coin on one of them...my $400 Delta team tactical build has ran everything I’ve fed it flawlessly. Hope ya get it figured out.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I took her out again with a new bolt carrier set up from Taccom. Still not ejecting properly. I decided to bend the ejector inward. Success! So now I'm trying to figure out why it works with one BCG and not the other four? The other BCG still has a broken key.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am confused by the statement "the gas key in my Spike's (which was working fine until this week) snapped off." The gas "key" in mine is solid and does not come off (because mine is blowback)

PCCs are blowback operated, not gas operated - I thought this was the norm? Or is this a gas operated PCC?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am confused by the statement "the gas key in my Spike's (which was working fine until this week) snapped off." The gas "key" in mine is solid and does not come off (because mine is blowback)

PCCs are blowback operated, not gas operated - I thought this was the norm? Or is this a gas operated PCC?

I have an older Spike's with a screw on key. The screw broke. All of my 9mm PCCs are blowback.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I took her out again with a new bolt carrier set up from Taccom. Still not ejecting properly. I decided to bend the ejector inward. Success! So now I'm trying to figure out why it works with one BCG and not the other four? The other BCG still has a broken key.

I had the same problem with my CMMG 9mm PCC. Chad straightened out the ejector and also put a little green lock tite on it to hold it in place. It ejects every time now

That is one of my favorite guns to shoot, but it was a real pain in the ass to get running properly.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Time to get a PCC that works, such as an MPX/MP5 or upgrade to the guard rotating bolt system. Also those aluminum cases arent recommended for blowback guns.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I did not notice the "aluminum" part earlier but I have indeed had a lot of problems with alum cased 9mm. Not just in my PCC, but all my 9mm. Brass works fine in all. Alum 9mm tends to jam all my guns and fails to eject, more so when dirty. I suspect that the case is soft and expands too much. On one gun RSO and I had to hammer the action open to eject the spent cartridge. Never a single problem with brass or steel no matter how dirty. Some (not all) of the problems could be due to alum cased 9mm. I would stop using it personally and diagnose one problem at a time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The CMMG carbine worked fine until around the 2500th round. No idea how many rounds before I bought it (used). The "Spike's" was fine until the key broke. Both ran brass, steel, and aluminum case just fine. I'm wondering if the extractors need replacement after however many rounds.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    But youve had problems with 4 different BCGs as I read your OP. Maybe the first one needed the extractor replaced due to wear, I'd buy that, but all of them? Bending the ejector worked on one, so maybe its a design flaw. But again, on all of them? If this was a typical quality control issue or design flaw, CMMG you would think would have improved the design ("Gen 2" lol) or had a recall or something.

Or maybe you are just unlucky and had 4 different problems. In which case, you got it working, you will never figure out what was wrong with the others. Like I said though, i have had a lot of problems with aluminum case.

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    The CMMG 9mm now has a 3rd BCG and it's still not running right for stuff it used to work with. One interesting development, I fired three different loads out of it, but instead of using the optic, I used the attached laser to aim so I could watch what was going on. With 115gr Federal aluminum case, the rounds were dribbling out of the gun and brass was caught in the ejection port. I had a neat pile of brass on the table right next to the rifle :confused: With 124gr Sig brass cased, ejection was brisk and it worked fine. With Sig 147gr, the brass was once again dribbling out of the port and I was getting brass stuck in the port. This on top of the gas key in my Spike's (which was working fine until this week) snapped off. Spike's only uses one screw to hold the gas key on. I will call them up on Monday to see if I can get a replacement under warranty or not. :sad20: So I was forced to shoot Steel Challenge with a pistol today.

Had the same problem. Tried EVERYTHING and spent hundreds throughout a year. Finally got CMMG to put me on the line with their R&D devision and they immediately had an answer for a common issue. Your ejector needs to be bent inward about 6° using a deadblow hammer.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I’ve been using Auminum exclusively in my AR9. Put 500 through it Friday without a problem. CMMG BCG, FTM buffer system, and ballistic advantage barrel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The CMMG is working, but still not 100%. I got the Spike's BCG back from my smith, and it's working great now. Going to have to get a new optic for it, since I moved the Eotech to the Ruger PCC. Now I need to get classified in USPSA with one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom