• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    If someone was shooting at me, I think I'd rather have 10 rds of the pu$$y round vs 5 of the manly round. :lol2:

MG_42

You lose..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_42#/media/File:MG42-1.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'll never forget some old black and white newsreel footage from the 1950s I once saw. It was filmed on a Royal Navy ship in the North Atlantic. Her decks were stacked high with crates and crates and crates and crates and crates of .303, all surplus from the war.

There on deck a crew of Jolly Limejuice Sailors were passing the crates along from the stack, man to man until... fling! ... splash! ... into the wave-tossed North Atlantic, all that lovely .303...

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I was actually talking about a head to head with bolt action rifles, hence the 10 rds vs 5 reference

True, that has more to do with the gun and not the round. Nothing wrong with them but the 8mm is closer to the 06 which to "me" is the perfect round. Meaning ass vs. recoil. :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll go out on a limb, I put forth that 8x57 , .303, .30-06, and 7.62x54R all round off as equivalent rounds . ( And in the old doesn't mean ineffective department , .30-40 will do 97% of anything a .30cal Mil round round need to do .)

Yeah , MG-42 were fine weapons . But BREN and Lewis guns also have admirable real world track records .

And along Todbiker's line of discussion -

The M98 Mauser was foundational to virtually all subsequent bolt actions( meaning the actual actions .)

The SMLE was the epitome of bolt action rifles ( meaning the complete rifle) for actual combat .

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I'll go out on a limb, I put forth that 8x57 , .303, .30-06, and 7.62x54R all round off as equivalent rounds . ( And in the old doesn't mean ineffective department , .30-40 will do 97% of anything a .30cal Mil round round need to do .)

Yeah , MG-42 were fine weapons . But BREN and Lewis guns also have admirable real world track records .

And along Todbiker's line of discussion -

The M98 Mauser was foundational to virtually all subsequent bolt actions( meaning the actual actions .)

The SMLE was the epitome of bolt action rifles ( meaning the complete rifle) for actual combat .

Compared to the K98 or 03 Springfield it lacked strength so I wouldn't call it the epitome. You, like me, are biased, just on opposite sides. :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've heard it said that the Mauser was the best hunting rifle, the Springfield was the best target rifle, and the Lee Enfield was the best combat rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    SMLE was exactly as strong as it needed to be, with the benefit of smoother, with higher rate of fire .

I agree the Mauser, and Springfield are stronger, easier to scope, and better suited for dedicated target/ sniping rifle . From our modern day perspective those are important qualities, again agreement . Our counter viewpoint is those qualities aren't defining for a general issue infantry rifle .

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    SMLE was exactly as strong as it needed to be, with the benefit of smoother, with higher rate of fire .

I agree the Mauser, and Springfield are stronger, easier to scope, and better suited for dedicated target/ sniping rifle . From our modern day perspective those are important qualities, again agreement . Our counter viewpoint is those qualities aren't defining for a general issue infantry rifle .

People love it, I understand... I'm just not one of them. :cool: Not a fan of the Russian either even though I own one and it too does everything it's supposed to do.

Getting back to my original curiosity, why would the Germans manufacture this particle batch to what looks to be milspec????

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    People love it, I understand... I'm just not one of them. :cool: Not a fan of the Russian either even though I own one and it too does everything it's supposed to do.

Getting back to my original curiosity, why would the Germans manufacture this particle batch to what looks to be milspec????

I don't know for certain, but I suspect it has/had something to do with British occupying forces in Germany and Berlin after the war. As well as Cold War policies throughout Europe and a desire to be prepared for a need to have plenty of ammo nearby. Other areas of the world needed .303 for their rifles as well and they could find a use for most of it. As well, there were a bunch of full auto weapons using the round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom