• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I really don't like collapsible sticks. I learned how to shoot using old-fashioned fixed stock rifle in boy Scouts. I used an M16A1 in the Army. I find that collapsible stocks wobble. The cheek weld is marginal.

Then someone (DaemonAssassin) suggested the Magpul UBR. I now have a stock that is adjustable and reasonably light weight. I also like the cheek weld much better than the standard collapsible stock. I have it on an 18" 6.5 Grendel build.

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
      DSC_0045.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 2,243

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I put them on Dad's M6A2 and R.E.P.R , it tightened up his groups for him and he likes the little bit of added weight to the rear of the rifle .

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Nice stocks, I have the Gen. 1 version on an optics service rifle build I am putting together.
    If anyone is interested, White Oak Arms still had Gen. 1 stocks available last time I checked.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I might have to consider this for my build.

What stock was on this rifle before? A2 or some sort of collapsible stock? Did you have to change your scope position?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

What stock was on this rifle before? A2 or some sort of collapsible stock? Did you have to change your scope position?

This upper use to share a fixed A2 stock lower from another AR. I built the lower in the photo dedicated to this upper. I did not have to change the scope position.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I put them on Dad's M6A2 and R.E.P.R , it tightened up his groups for him and he likes the little bit of added weight to the rear of the rifle .

That's another good point; the collapsible stocks are light; perhaps too light depending on the build. The UBR might provide a better distribution of weight.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Generally speaking, if you are average in height, most scopes gain proper eye relief when the ocular ends even with the end of the upper receiver as shown in dread's pic.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Generally speaking, if you are average in height, most scopes gain proper eye relief when the ocular ends even with the end of the upper receiver as shown in dread's pic.

If you are a position shooter, the scope would need to be farther forward for most people. Think highpower competition, where most index with their nose touching the charging handle. The adjustments of the UBR stock coupled with an extended scope mount work well in that application. Shortening the stock for offhand and extending it for sitting or prone allows the proper eye relief for each position.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    From an installation standpoint, I like that there is no castle nut per se. You thread the buffer tube until it stops and it fits perfectly over the buffer spring retainer. Then there is a nut that goes on the very end of the buffer tube. You don't need to stake it, just tighten down with an armorer's wrench to 25 foot pounds (or until it feels snug). I think it's a cleaner installation IMHO.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I thought the UBR was the heaviest magpul. Swapping mine for a minimalist to see the difference on paper , and steel
    Glad you like it dread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The PRS is a good aid for some of those nose heavy rifles. Only drawback is their inherent long LOP. I've got a 71"+ reach and have my butt pad cranked all the way in.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    That's another good point; the collapsible stocks are light; perhaps too light depending on the build. The UBR might provide a better distribution of weight.

I love the UBR too. I ordered a little triangular weight from WOA that goes into the little compartment. It does help balance out my 18” barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom