Post-Ban HBAR for the 1 MOA All-Day Challenge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    White Oak. Make it easy on yourself. Plenty of people use their uppers in competition, at distance - for score.

WOA, Engage built a nice upper for me with one of their barrels. If the idiot involved does his part, MOA easily with right load.

+1 for WOA. My national match is a .75 MOA rifle with Black Hills Match.

Whatever barrel and clambering you decide on, make sure you get the appropriate twist rate. 1/7 for the heavier bullets

I've been looking at some WOA barrels. I shot in the fleet matches years ago with a guy using a WOA-barreled rifle and he seemed to like it.

Any particular model you guys like? They don't make many in 16", and the SDM is sold out at the moment...
    https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/16-sdm-barrel-1-7-twist.html

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Check out faxon.
    I ran across them when I was looking for the lightest HBAR I could find at a reasonable price.
    They state the weight is only 1.71 pounds.

I cant speak from personal experience with this barrel, but I'm planning on this one for my next build sometime this year.

http://faxonfirearms.com/match-seri...ngth-416r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension/

If you end up getting one, I would be interested in knowing how well it works out for you.

I'm going to point out that that's a "heavy fluted" barrel, not a "heavy barrel" that's fluted. Someone here asked Faxon about it and posted in a different thread.

Interesting

I saw NathanFaxon mention on a different forum they specifically market it as heavy for MD's hbar law back in may.

Wonder what caused them to change their stance.

Referenced Thread:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?196402-Maryland-legal-ar15-help&p=2493436#post2493436

Some on this forum are Nervous Nellys that is all.

Faxton says "heavy fluted" barrel. How can the fluting of the barrel be heavy if the barrel is not heavy? Heavy fluting in a light barrel creates holes!! Of course, heavy fluting in a heavy barrel makes the barrel light(er).
    I read the entire Faxon thread. I'm gonna pass on those. Nothing appears to meet my specs. In this case, I actually want heavy; not just HINO. Accuracy with a suppressor hanging off of it will need the mass.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Call Engage or Precision , and tell them how much you are willing to spend .

WOA is starting point , up to custom turned Hart or Schielen .

Factory ammo will be your bottleneck .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's going to be a free-floated upper, using predominately a magnified optic. But the front BUIS will be in the forward well forward of an A2 upper.

What advantages does the rifle-length gas give me that the midlength or intermediate doesn't?

I don't think carbine vs intermediate gas tubes makes much of a difference. The Windham dissi upper uses a carbine length gas block under the hand guards. The front sight is not connected. Having the fake front sight out further gives you a longer sight radius if you use irons.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here is my AR with a Windham heavy profile dissi upper.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
      DSC_0001.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 280

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    See, now that is a reasonable, believable group. About 2" or so at 50yds? So 4-5" at 100yds, which I believe is the original military specification for precision from a rack-grade M16A2 with green tip.

You probably shot to the maximum mechanical precision of that rifle. :thumbsup:

That’s the minimum acceptable for M855 IIRC. IMI M855 can shoot sub MOA 5 shot groups for me. It tends to have 1 in 7 fliers. So it is more like 1.5MOA 10 shot groups.

M193 IMI doesn’t shoot nearly as well. A little under .75MOA with PPU 75gr.

Stoner (Midway USA) 20” Barrel. Not 16” though. Most match ammo runs from .9-1.2MOA 5 shot groups. Mid weight stuff is around 1.5MOA (hunting 62-64gr stuff and some of the M855 loadings) and most of the cheap stuff in 55-62gr weights is 2-3MOA.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I don't think carbine vs intermediate gas tubes makes much of a difference. The Windham dissi upper uses a carbine length gas block under the hand guards. The front sight is not connected. Having the fake front sight out further gives you a longer sight radius if you use irons.

Clandestine could better comment on this, but in general I would agree. It wasn't the length of gas tube I was referring to in regards to it's effect on accuracy or reliability, but more that the length of gas tube typically determines where the front site block is. Using other options instead of a pinned front site gas block to get the front site post further out towards the muzzle would work to increase the site radius.

Something to consider if you're going the BUIS on top of your rail route...if you sling up the pressure on the tube will move the tube and thus the site. My national match has a free float tube, but a pinned front site block for that reason. No amount of sling pressure will move that front site post.

Given that you've stated you'll primarily be using optics...probably not a concern.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another for White Oak.

I picked up a White Oak upper for my original HBAR Match Sporter.

Call them, they can work out what you need and supply or built it.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Something to consider if you're going the BUIS on top of your rail route...if you sling up the pressure on the tube will move the tube and thus the site. My national match has a free float tube, but a pinned front site block for that reason. No amount of sling pressure will move that front site post.

Given that you've stated you'll primarily be using optics...probably not a concern.
    I have a RRA NM A2 rifle I bought through club sales in 2003. 1994 AWB-era crowned barrel and everything, no muzzle device. It has the A2 concealed free float tube.

This project is a completely different animal. I won’t be wearing a coat that looks like it’s made out of a bowling ball bag (or 3 sweatshirts; I never had the coat!) and the sling point will have a BFG VCAS sling on pushbutton QDs. I can see maybe looping my arm in there as a hasty sling, but not locking in tight. This rifle will be shot prone or maybe off a bench, with a bipod or pack rest. And yes, the BUIS will probably be polymer Magpul MBUS, and honestly mostly for show.

USPS just delivered one of these:
    Geissele Super Modular Rail MK4 M-LOK

Attachments

• Mk4_15.jpg
      Mk4_15.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 208

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Looking on WOA I'm not seeing any 16" HBAR marked barrels or advertised as heavy.
    There might be Nervous Nellies here, but you're a shit-stirrer. ;)

The WOA barrel is described as "light weight, stainless steel" - sounds like the steel must be lightweight. :rolleyes:

But Brownells lists it as heavy...

Attachments

• WOA SDM.jpg
      WOA SDM.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 203

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC