• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I was looking at reviews on You tube and one of the well known gun pundits had a rather favorable review of the Mini 14 emphasizing how reliable it is. Then the same guy does a separate review on the Mini 30 and rips it for being very unreliable. Really?? Are they not the same freaking design?? Anyone ever owned a Mini 30? Are they really that bad compared top the Mini 14? This is news to me.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a mini 14 I bought from Lou. When I told him I was considering a mini 30 he strongly advised against it.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    From my understanding, the main problem with the Mini 30 is that it fails to ignite ammo with harder primers way more often than it should. Because most people want a 7.62x39 rifle to shoot cheap ammo (i.e., steel cased with harder primers), it creates a scenario where a lot of people end up hating the 30 due to regular failures.

You can find quite a few videos out there on youtube with constant failure to fire failures; I'm talking multiple failures per magazine. Those problems seem to go away with american made brass cased ammo. No point to most people in getting a 7.62x39 rifle that costs as much to feed as a .308.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is or why Ruger hasnt addressed it. One would think that if it's something as simple as a more powerful hammer spring that Ruger would have fixed it by now.

That's about all I know... I personally have no use/desire for the Mini platform because I see literally no advantage that it has over even an entry level AR-15.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    My Mini 14 (580 series) eats any ammo I have fed it, and throws the brass exuberantly across the range.
    Not the most accurate bullet launcher, but has never faltered.
    Mini14 1.JPG

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In fairness to the mini-14, I have seen some bad/cheap AR builds fail epically at the range.

Also, the mini-14 comes in wood. We all know wood furniture is much safer than scary black furniture with the folding thingie that goes up.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    My Mini 14 (580 series) eats any ammo I have fed it, and throws the brass exuberantly across the range.
    Not the most accurate bullet launcher, but has never faltered.
    View attachment 214165

:lol: Mine too! That's my favorite thing about it... throws brass WAY forward of the firing line, and not on folks to my right.

Mine (Ranch Rifle) is also stone cold reliable with factory ammo, but I've never tried steel cased stuff, nor will I. Brass works just fine, thanks very much.

It's not a tack driver, but I have other toys for that. Consistent 3-4" groups at 100 yards is enough to make me happy with this platform.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You guys with your Mini 14-not-tack-driver stories...

Isn't like having a ugly girlfriend hogging the covers?

You know, what's the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom