• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a RIA 1911 Government model in .45 ACP and wanted to replace the stock 18# recoil spring with a lighter one since I plan to shoot light loads. I bought a Wilson 13# spring and was surprised to find it longer than the stock spring, by 1/2". Has anyone who's installed a lighter Wilson spring know if the Wilson spring is installed as-is or should it be cut down to the same length as the current stock spring? I would think that with the 1/2" extra length, there would be more preload with the slide fully forward, more than with the stock spring, and countering the effort to reduce the recoil spring force. I also worry about the slide not recoiling fully back when the spring is fully compressed and hitting it's solid length.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Springs typically take a set in use so that is what you are observing.

Typically the Gov't length guns have 29 - 33 coils depending on force and spring wire gauge. Here is what you should do to ensure the spring is not too long or damaging coil bind (spring stack) will occur.
    - Remove mag and ensure unloaded pistol.
    - Remove the recoil spring and plug. Leave the rest of the pistol assembled.
    - Pull the slide back to full recoil position.
    - Place the edge of a piece of tape on the frame dust cover even with the front edge of the slide. You could use a pencil or marker to do the same thing.
    - Push the slide fully forward into full battery position.
    - Install new recoil spring and plug, closed end on guide rod.
    - Pull the slide back to full recoil position. Observe alignment of the front edge of slide with edge of tape.
    - IF the two align, shoot and enjoy. IF the front edge of the slide is forward of the tape edge, the spring is too long and the coils are touching each other - bad juju. Clip one coil at a time off the open end of the recoil spring until the marks align. I typically cut an additional 1/2 to 1 coil off to prevent marginal coil bind (spring stack).

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Wilson has been making 1911 gear and customized target 1911s since the 1970s. Their reputation is sound and their spring has worked just fine in tens of thousands of pistols.
    More coils and/or longer can be much softer. It all depends upon the material, diameter of the wire, treatment, etc.

Try it. If you can push the slide back all the way with it installed, you're good to go. There's probably still room for a Wilson buffer in there too.

I use Wolff springs too and find some of their lighter springs are also longer than a stock one.
    I just put a Wolf spring in a TT33 and it was 1" longer, but weaker.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Try it. If you can push the slide back all the way with it installed, you're good to go. There's probably still room for a Wilson buffer in there too.

What is wrong with using a sensible approach? If the spring is a little too long and goes into coil bind and isn't readily apparent, he can break a bushing, spring plug and/or hammer the bushing lug cutout in the slide until the bushing does break. OP asked how to determine if this, and essentially any other spring, is the correct length. I personally have encountered two recoil springs which needed to be trimmed because this check revealed a coil bind condition.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    There are springs and then there are Wolff springs. They are the industry's standard and most other manufacturers' springs are either Wolff's, reversed engineered from Wolff's or are QC tested to compare to Wolffs

They other cheap crap is just that, crap.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Springs typically take a set in use so that is what you are observing.

Typically the Gov't length guns have 29 - 33 coils depending on force and spring wire gauge. Here is what you should do to ensure the spring is not too long or damaging coil bind (spring stack) will occur.
    - Remove mag and ensure unloaded pistol.
    - Remove the recoil spring and plug. Leave the rest of the pistol assembled.
    - Pull the slide back to full recoil position.
    - Place the edge of a piece of tape on the frame dust cover even with the front edge of the slide. You could use a pencil or marker to do the same thing.
    - Push the slide fully forward into full battery position.
    - Install new recoil spring and plug, closed end on guide rod.
    - Pull the slide back to full recoil position. Observe alignment of the front edge of slide with edge of tape.
    - IF the two align, shoot and enjoy. IF the front edge of the slide is forward of the tape edge, the spring is too long and the coils are touching each other - bad juju. Clip one coil at a time off the open end of the recoil spring until the marks align. I typically cut an additional 1/2 to 1 coil off to prevent marginal coil bind (spring stack).

Thanks, I'll do this check. I knew the stock spring has compressed a bit since it's been in the gun a few years but didn't know how much.

There are springs and then there are Wolff springs. They are the industry's standard and most other manufacturers' springs are either Wolff's, reversed engineered from Wolff's or are QC tested to compare to Wolffs

They other cheap crap is just that, crap.
    I'm sorry I bought a piece of crap, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. The results are what I care about, not the brand name.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Virgin springs will be longer than used springs . A .5 in difference I wouldn't have given a second thought .

But my question is how light are you talking for light loads? 13Lb is really freaking light ( for .45acp). Like for a long slide, or compensator or pingun.

Used with conventional 5in bbl and slide, a JMB/ circa 1911 US Army spec spring, of about 16lb by modern measure , is quite forgiving of light-ish loads.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Virgin springs will be longer than used springs . A .5 in difference I wouldn't have given a second thought .

But my question is how light are you talking for light loads? 13Lb is really freaking light ( for .45acp). Like for a long slide, or compensator or pingun.

Used with conventional 5in bbl and slide, a JMB/ circa 1911 US Army spec spring, of about 16lb by modern measure , is quite forgiving of light-ish loads.

13 pound spring may be used even with 230 ball and not harm the pistol as long as the 23 pound mainspring is retained. Pin and USPSA guys do this regularly to keep the front sight from dipping. I used as low as 12 pounds on mine without issue, peening or fuction, the load being 230 FMJ at 895 fps. A square bottom firing pin stop helps. The original spring for the 1911 was rated somewhere around 14.5 pounds.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    RIA said their stock spring is 18#, and this is my first attempt at changing the recoil characteristics of the gun. I selected the lightest spring I thought would work, 13#, and will likely settle for something in between stock and 13. I plan to switch to single stack next year and am starting to get my gun, ammo, and magazines ready.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG

What is wrong with using a sensible approach? If the spring is a little too long and goes into coil bind and isn't readily apparent, he can break a bushing, spring plug and/or hammer the bushing lug cutout in the slide until the bushing does break. OP asked how to determine if this, and essentially any other spring, is the correct length. I personally have encountered two recoil springs which needed to be trimmed because this check revealed a coil bind condition.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I figured the OP would understand he has to mark where "all the way back" is as you outlined.
    I should have just said "follow Magnumite's directions.
    I would think, however, that if he got a Wilson spring that is too long for the model he ordered it to fit then they owe him a correct spring.

This is a Commander length SIG 1911. Same same design, just by SIG.

Attachments

• no spring.JPG
      no spring.JPG
      65.3 KB · Views: 67
    • spring.JPG
      spring.JPG
      51 KB · Views: 65
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members