woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    SLR is my preference for adjustable gas blocks, but I don't think they have a bleed off mode, just restriction. I'm testing a superlative arms gas block right now that has a restriction mode and a bleed off mode. Works well so far, but I've only put 200 or so rounds through it unsupressed.

Any problems with heat or gassing?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Any problems with heat or gassing?
    Not so far, but I should caveat that this is a large frame AR in .308. I expect that is a fairly different environment from 5.56/.223. I played with restriction vs bleed off mostly to see if it heated up the rail or changed my POI at 200 yards (16" barrel), and didn't notice any major difference for what I am doing with the gun so far (banging on steel plates with little regard for group size using iron sights). I'll try to remember to give a full report when one of my pending cans finally makes it out of NFA jail.

That said, I like it enough in theory that I am planning on using the Superlative Arms piston kit for a dedicated suppressed 10.5" 5.56 SBR. It's sort of a silly project, but being a lefty, I am not yuge on gas face from suppressed weapons. I figure a piston should minimize that to start with, and bleed off will keep yet more gas away from my delicate mug.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not so far, but I should caveat that this is a large frame AR in .308. I expect that is a fairly different environment from 5.56/.223. I played with restriction vs bleed off mostly to see if it heated up the rail or changed my POI at 200 yards (16" barrel), and didn't notice any major difference for what I am doing with the gun so far (banging on steel plates with little regard for group size using iron sights). I'll try to remember to give a full report when one of my pending cans finally makes it out of NFA jail.

That said, I like it enough in theory that I am planning on using the Superlative Arms piston kit for a dedicated suppressed 10.5" 5.56 SBR. It's sort of a silly project, but being a lefty, I am not yuge on gas face from suppressed weapons. I figure a piston should minimize that to start with, and bleed off will keep yet more gas away from my delicate mug.
    Thanks fbi_s_v.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks fbi_s_v.

No prob. I guess I should probably have led off with my evaluation of build quality. Overall the Superlative Arms gas block I bought seems to be roughly equivalent in quality to an SLR sentry adjustable. I hesitate to recommend it over an SLR because the people behind that company are amazing, and their product is great. But it does seem like a quality product. Maybe as good. Time will tell.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No prob. I guess I should probably have led off with my evaluation of build quality. Overall the Superlative Arms gas block I bought seems to be roughly equivalent in quality to an SLR sentry adjustable. I hesitate to recommend it over an SLR because the people behind that company are amazing, and their product is great. But it does seem like a quality product. Maybe as good. Time will tell.
    That's cool. Always looking for new alternatives and improvements on technology, in ARs especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom