Have you ever had to show your "papers"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I had my 7.5" AR pistol out one day and was asked for my tax stamp by a RSO. When I showed him that it was an AR pistol and he went along his way.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yeah, I'm an RSO and I don't consider it part of the scope of my responsibilities to check paperwork. Might as well ask to see the numbers on every gun at that point, it's just as presumptuous.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Yeah, I'm an RSO and I don't consider it part of the scope of my responsibilities to check paperwork. Might as well ask to see the numbers on every gun at that point, it's just as presumptuous.

Ditto. In fact, I'm not sure it's even legal for an RSO to demand to see your tax stamp.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Been asked by law enforcement twice.

Once was at a private machine gun shoot on a buddy's property. HCSD showed up and said that they had a report of people shooting machine guns. We told them that that report was true. They looked over the paperwork, drooled over the guns, ripped off a few mags and we're on their way.

Second time was by an off duty state trooper at Elk Neck some years ago. He saw my suppressor, identified himself and asked to see my paperwork. I showed him, and he was good with it.

Technically, neither of them have the right to demand to see my paperwork, but the 2 minutes it took kept them from screwing up my day or week or month with the headaches they can cause.

Anyone else that asks to see my private tax documents for any reason other than curiousity can quite frankly piss up a rope.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ditto. In fact, I'm not sure it's even legal for an RSO to demand to see your tax stamp.

He was not being a dick or demanding that I provide him a stamp. He more or less came over to my bench and asked, "You do have a stamp for that SBR, correct?" at which point I showed him that it was a pistol and he went back to his business. If I had a SBR with me that day, I would have just showed it to him anyway since it was a private range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Here ya go... (See waaaaay below.) Where it says "Secretary," read the Secretary or his Designee, (Agents.)

Just make a copy of your stamps and keep them with your NFA items at all times, just in case.

It just makes good sense.

(e) Proof of registration
    A person possessing a firearm registered as required by this section shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the Secretary upon request.

While I agree it makes sense to carry a copy with you, this only requires that you can make it available on request, not immediately or on the spot.

But I am sure the pain would not be worth it. :)

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Been asked by law enforcement twice.

Once was at a private machine gun shoot on a buddy's property. HCSD showed up and said that they had a report of people shooting machine guns. We told them that that report was true. They looked over the paperwork, drooled over the guns, ripped off a few mags and we're on their way.

Second time was by an off duty state trooper at Elk Neck some years ago. He saw my suppressor, identified himself and asked to see my paperwork. I showed him, and he was good with it.

Technically, neither of them have the right to demand to see my paperwork, but the 2 minutes it took kept them from screwing up my day or week or month with the headaches they can cause.

Anyone else that asks to see my private tax documents for any reason other than curiousity can quite frankly piss up a rope.

See now that's the kind of story I was looking for!

Any Badge asks to see my documents I'm gonna show them... As stated, it's not worth the hassle they can cause by you trying to teach them that the don't have the right to be asking... Just asking for trouble at that point

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Taking a pic with the cellphone is a great idea. I'd say you could just look them up on the BATF web site (if you e-filed) but I don't think I'd rely on that site being up 24x7.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have a color copy on my tax stamp folded up and stored with each SBR. Magpul pistol grips with storage compartments are a ideal for this purpose. This way I never leave home without them.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not by any LEO but at On Target. Got a can at the end of January and it was too freakin' cold to go to AGC. Went through exactly one magazine and the guy comes on the range and asks. I told him it was none of his business.

Back and forth about I would have to leave or remove the can from the range/store if I wanted to continue shooting.

Spoke to the manager when I was done but it was like talking to a brick wall....

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Totally weird. You could shoot hundreds of rounds with a handgun, the moment you screw on a sound suppressor the presumptuous over bearing worried people come out of the wood work.

Yeah, I get the logic, it's not normal to see and it takes more effort/money/time to get one, but seriously...

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Not by any LEO but at On Target. Got a can at the end of January and it was too freakin' cold to go to AGC. Went through exactly one magazine and the guy comes on the range and asks. I told him it was none of his business.

Back and forth about I would have to leave or remove the can from the range/store if I wanted to continue shooting.

Spoke to the manager when I was done but it was like talking to a brick wall....

Only place I've ever been asked is On-Target. I went through the same thing, I said they had no right to see it, they said they didn't care.

That, among other reasons, is why I won't go back to On-Target.

-Jim

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Totally weird. You could shoot hundreds of rounds with a handgun, the moment you screw on a sound suppressor the presumptuous over bearing worried people come out of the wood work.

Yeah, I get the logic, it's not normal to see and it takes more effort/money/time to get one, but seriously...

I actually don't even get the logic. Why are RSOs or ranges in general concerned with people's taxes? Sometimes the 2A "community" is its own enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Never been asked but I did offer to show them to the RSO at an out-of-state range the first time I went there. I figured making the offer before pulling fun toys out of the cases couldn't hurt. He said, "Nah, don't bother. I'll take your word for it."

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The only place that I've ever been asked is Continental. I've shot with cans at On Target but have never been asked to show my form 4s.

Now thats funny because when I got my first can I went to CA. I told the guy behind the counter I had a can asked if needed to see my F4 just because I didn't know any better. The young man told me that I was only required to show an ATF agent and have fun. I have been there a handful of times and never been asked. This was with cans, not MG's. I figure if a range asks to see my F4, I am just going to show them.
    Freestate has never asked me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom