• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just bought a new Glock 17 Gen 3 that came with raised sights for $550. Tested it out and it works great. I was going to order a threaded barrel for my VP9 but they are after market and $250. Add in more for raised sights and the cost of this gun is sky rocketing.

I looked at Sig and really want a p226 but the threaded barrel models are way more expensive than non threaded models and I would still have to replace the expensive night sights they put on then. I considered getting a used police trade in and a 9mm conversion barrel but I really want a factory set up.

Not a big fan of the HK USP. I would get the threaded barrel for my VP9 since I really like it but apparently HK won't warranty suppessor usage on non designated models. And HK prices are way up there.

Since I like the Vp9 I was excited for the PPQ M2 Navy with threaded barrel but then I read that Walther never tested it with suppressors and is having a hard time getting a spring kit to market to fix this problem. WTF!

Also not that big a fan of FNX/FNS series of pistols. Don't like the jointed trigger on the S&W MP9.

Any other factory models I should be looking at, especially ones with raised sights? If I have to get something expensive I'll probably get a p226 and replace the sights. Any recommendations?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I just bought a new Glock 17 Gen 3 that came with raised sights for $550. Tested it out and it works great. I was going to order a threaded barrel for my VP9 but they are after market and $250. Add in more for raised sights and the cost of this gun is sky rocketing.

I looked at Sig and really want a p226 but the threaded barrel models are way more expensive than non threaded models and I would still have to replace the expensive night sights they put on then. I considered getting a used police trade in and a 9mm conversion barrel but I really want a factory set up.

Not a big fan of the HK USP. I would get the threaded barrel for my VP9 since I really like it but apparently HK won't warranty suppessor usage on non designated models. And HK prices are way up there.

Since I like the Vp9 I was excited for the PPQ M2 Navy with threaded barrel but then I read that Walther never tested it with suppressors and is having a hard time getting a spring kit to market to fix this problem. WTF!

Also not that big a fan of FNX/FNS series of pistols. Don't like the jointed trigger on the S&W MP9.

Any other factory models I should be looking at, especially ones with raised sights? If I have to get something expensive I'll probably get a p226 and replace the sights. Any recommendations?

Easily remedied with a trigger replacement.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Springer XD? Just a thought, I have no experience using one with a can, nor do I know whether threaded barrels are even available.

But youre prob on the right track with Glock if Sig is out of the price range.

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    I'm running a G17 GenIII with a Storm Lake threaded barrel as a host for an AWC suppressor. No issues with standard TruGlow sights.

Check Snipes Hide, occasionally you will find Storm Lake barrels for sale there for $125-150.

Shop around on the Internet, you should be able to find a good deal on a storm lake. Also, check Gun Broker.

Mark

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Struggling to find a good factory 9mm host

Not a big fan of the HK USP.

I bought an HK USP9SD so that I would NOT have that problem. Same thing with my HK USP45Tactical. Both work great suppressed.

But I understand you wanting to get a gun that better fits your hands. :)

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
      hqdefault.jpg
      13.8 KB · Views: 411

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought an HK USP9SD so that I would NOT have that problem. Same thing with my HK USP45Tactical. Both work great suppressed.

But I understand you wanting to get a gun that better fits your hands. :)

Would rather have a metal frame Sig at those prices.

And from what I read HK won't warranty the use of most suppressors, only certain obscure ones I'll never have.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm running a G17 GenIII with a Storm Lake threaded barrel as a host for an AWC suppressor. No issues with standard TruGlow sights.

Check Snipes Hide, occasionally you will find Storm Lake barrels for sale there for $125-150.

Shop around on the Internet, you should be able to find a good deal on a storm lake. Also, check Gun Broker.

Mark

Sorry first first post was confusing. I have a G17 with a threaded barrel. I like it. Looking for another factory set up like the Glock. Not really wanting to go after market route.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Springer XD? Just a thought, I have no experience using one with a can, nor do I know whether threaded barrels are even available.

But youre prob on the right track with Glock if Sig is out of the price range.

It isn't so much out of my price range, I'm just cheap and want a plain old Sig p226 with factory threaded barrel and raised sights for $1000. All the Sigs I see have low sights I'll have to upgrade after spending $1200.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Another gun with a threaded barrel and low sights. I guess most people who buy the threaded barrel never use it?

I have never used tall sights. I just look theough the suppressor. A lot of guys do and it is really very easy.

Supppressor sights are available for the P-07. After buying them you still have a host for about $600. A really good one at that.

http://czcustom.com/czp07suppressorsightset.aspx

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    See... should have bought a Osprey! Then you can get away without the larger sights... as they are about even with the top of the can.

However I agree... I hate looking through the can.

I think you need to just pony up and get the Sig! :)

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I prefer to look through the can but that is just me.

I'd second the suggestion to find a used aftermarket barrel unless you want to pay for the whole gun from the factory.

Or a beretta 92 and get the barrel threaded.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    See... should have bought a Osprey! Then you can get away without the larger sights... as they are about even with the top of the can.

However I agree... I hate looking through the can.

I think you need to just pony up and get the Sig! :)

Yea but you are Mr. My Purchases Are For the Long Term. In 20 years when new suppressors are illegal and the companies are bankrupt, how are you going to fix your can full of carbon?

Or fix a baffle strike?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yea but you are Mr. My Purchases Are For the Long Term. In 20 years when new suppressors are illegal and the companies are bankrupt, how are you going to fix your can full of carbon?

I have a suppressor for a Mac that was built before 1986... Still going fine. At the rate its going, it will never be an issue.

Also if they are illegal at that point, it will well be worth cleaning it, however much it costs or however much trouble it is. I don't see them being illegal in the future. I don't think the NFA will get revised and if it does, them becoming illegal will mean confiscation. I would rather get the can that works best for me now.

Frankly its not a huge concern for me. The can will likely outlast the gun before it really becomes an issue anyway. 22LR... I can see getting a suppressor I can take apart and clean. For 9mm... not real worried about it. I only clean my Mac about once a year... and thats just to make it look nice for the MG show.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a suppressor for a Mac that was built before 1986... Still going fine. At the rate its going, it will never be an issue.

Also if they are illegal at that point, it will well be worth cleaning it, however much it costs or however much trouble it is. I don't see them being illegal in the future. I don't think the NFA will get revised and if it does, them becoming illegal will mean confiscation. I would rather get the can that works best for me now.

Frankly its not a huge concern for me. The can will likely outlast the gun before it really becomes an issue anyway. 22LR... I can see getting a suppressor I can take apart and clean. For 9mm... not real worried about it. I only clean my Mac about once a year... and thats just to make it look nice for the MG show.

I mean illegal like the Hughes amendment. I could easily see a similar clause for suppressors passing in a AW ban we all expect will happen eventually. Silencerco has great customer service, but if they can't sell new cans to stay in business they aren't going to be able to stay in business and your warranty/customer service is useless.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I mean illegal like the Hughes amendment. I could easily see a similar clause for suppressors passing in a AW ban we all expect will happen eventually. Silencerco has great customer service, but if they can't sell new cans to stay in business they aren't going to be able to stay in business and your warranty/customer service is useless.

Na, liberals already think they are illegal. Plus an AWB will get them too... since they will be the evil feature pushing you over the limit. Either way, I am not to worried, I can figure out how to clean it. I would think the bigger problem would be the baffles wearing out.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Have you considered some type of laser sight system to supplement the lost front iron sight? I just installed a LaserMax guide rod laser in the 92F/Ti-Rant combo and it works great.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Na, liberals already think they are illegal. Plus an AWB will get them too... since they will be the evil feature pushing you over the limit. Either way, I am not to worried, I can figure out how to clean it. I would think the bigger problem would be the baffles wearing out.

They thought MGs were illegal, that didn't stop the Hughes amendment. Or MSP could realize they don't have to sign NFA forms and stop signing tomorrow. If 41P is phased in in December, I suspect a noticeable drop in NFA sales. People in major metropolitan areas will find it hard to buy NFA.

I was actually going to post baffles wearing out as well. Making new baffles wouldn't be the hard part, it would be getting them into the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom