• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    UPDATE: Problem fixed, mystery solved and a tip for screwy things that're stuck.

The fix: We got the assembly apart by brushing the magic potion onto the stuck parts (see tip below) and found that the ASAP adapter was stuck inside the ASAP housing (the part that unscrews from the end cap). I mean it was literally jammed in there and wouldn't budge. Initially, we thought the parts had welded themselves together. But, as it turned out, there were (what appeared to be) droplets of small bits of metal that looked like they were soldered onto the inner sides of the ASAP housing, where the "teeth" of the ASAP adapter slide in-and-out along its sides. The adapter was stuck about half-way down into the housing and we had to heat it to 400 degrees and then bang on it with a wood dowel to set it free.

The mystery solved: Looking at the face of the adapter in the first photo, you'll see small bits of rough metal that look like solder. Well, that's what we found along the inner walls of the ASAP housing. Because they reduced the inside diameter of the housing, which I'm sure is supposed to be a fairly close tolerance, the "teeth" of the adapter had gotten stuck.

Once the adapter came out, we found that you could only insert the "teeth" into the adapter housing if you oriented the adapter to a certain position. If you rotated the adapter, say, from 12 to 2, you'd either have to force the "teeth" down into the housing or they wouldn't go at all. The second photo shows how far we were able to slide the adapter into the housing....or, more correctly, how, in most positions, we weren't able to slide it in at all.

Fortunately, my friend brought along his Ti-Rant, so we could compare the parts and their operation, which made it instantly clear that my ASAP housing was the culprit. On his Ti-Rant, the adapter (sans spring) dropped easily into the ASAP housing and would turn through a complete 360 degree circle without any roughness or inhibition. The inner sides of the housing were smooth, without all the solder-like bits that mine has. I'm not sure how or why those bits got adhered to the housing walls, but I guess that, at some point during the shoot, as the adapter/driving spring were doing their thing (absorbing some of the recoil), the "teeth" of the adapter got stuck against the bits and everything just jammed-up there.

We smoothed-out the ASAP housing's inner walls 'til the adapter's "teeth" fit down into the housing and the adapter could be smoothly turned a full 360 degrees within the ASAP housing. Once that was done, we returned the inner sleeve—the part that came out with the ASAP assembly—to its place in the tube, reassembled and tested the ASAP assembly to be sure the spring worked and the adapter could compress into the ASAP housing like it should (see photos). Also checked all the o-rings, which were fine.

I'd still like to know how those "bits" got into the ASAP housing in the first place? Considering how neurotic I am about keeping the silencer clean and following AAC's instructions, it just doesn't compute. Hopefully, AAC will be able to fill in that blank tomorrow.

Anyway, since this appears to be a fairly common problem, hopefully, the next person will find this, so they don't have to go through what I did.

The tip: Brushing a 50/50 mix of ATF/Acetone onto the stuck ASAP assembly allowed us to unscrew it by hand (actually, with fingers) in less than one minute! Amazing.

Attachments

• ti-rant9 stuck piston 001.jpg
      ti-rant9 stuck piston 001.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 432
    • ti-rant9 stuck piston 002.jpg
      ti-rant9 stuck piston 002.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 437
    • ti-rant9 stuck piston 003.jpg
      ti-rant9 stuck piston 003.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 520
    • ti-rant9 stuck piston 004.jpg
      ti-rant9 stuck piston 004.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 508
    • ti-rant9 stuck piston 005.jpg
      ti-rant9 stuck piston 005.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 505
    Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Glad to hear you got it apart without damage.

If I were a betting man, I would blame the solder like substance on the ammo you were using, specifically the projectiles.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    It could possibly be jacket fragments from the projectile. I've noticed similar build-up on my Octane 45 with cheaper Reman ammo, especially in my STG 1928\45 MG. Some of the worst was with LAX Reman. It got to the point where I was shaking out little pieces after every mag. I took the can apart many times and there were no signs of baffle strikes or any other damage. My only guess is that with increased muzzle pressure with a suppressor, that lesser quality jacketing sheds from the projectile. Tried different ammo (Wolf, American Eagle, Aguila, etc) with no problems.

Try some different ammo and see if the build-up continues. I now obviously stay away from LAX Reman when shooting suppressed. However, I've had good luck with Freedom Munitions Reman, so it's all on the manufacturer and the quality projectiles they use.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    It could possibly be jacket fragments from the projectile. I've noticed similar build-up on my Octane 45 with cheaper Reman ammo, especially in my STG 1928\45 MG. Some of the worst was with LAX Reman.

AAC had suggested it might be bullet fragments, too. But I've only shot S&B in this gun/silencer and never had a problem with it before. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since the original posting, but, hopefully, now that I've got the Ti-Rant back in proper working order, I'll take it out again within the next coupla weeks and report back.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Have you pulled a S&B FMJ? Is the base exposed lead or jacketed?

I think its the base of the projectile that s unjacketed. The heat can vaporize the exposed lead and deposit itself in the piston.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Have you pulled a S&B FMJ? Is the base exposed lead or jacketed?

The [indoor] range where I shot that day was Gilberts (Montgomery County), so I'm required to use their ammo and'm prohibited from carrying any of it off the premises. So I don't have any of it to check. But I reckon you're probably right. Trouble is, since I'm stuck with the ammo they have, what, if anything, can I do to reduce the likelihood of a repeat performance? (Tho', now that I know what the problem is and how to deal with it, it won't be the same nightmare it was the first time.)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The [indoor] range where I shot that day was Gilberts (Montgomery County), so I'm required to use their ammo and'm prohibited from carrying any of it off the premises. So I don't have any of it to check. But I reckon you're probably right. Trouble is, since I'm stuck with the ammo they have, what, if anything, can I do to reduce the likelihood of a repeat performance? (Tho', now that I know what the problem is and how to deal with it, it won't be the same nightmare it was the first time.)

I dont have a solution other than different ammo. I would use a different range if it were me.

That lead doing that can break loose and end up going down the bore of the suppressor destroying the baffles and possibly the tube if it spits the baffles out.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I dont have a solution other than different ammo. I would use a different range if it were me.

If there were a nearby alternative that'd let me BYO, I would. Sadly, not an option.

That lead doing that can break loose and end up going down the bore of the suppressor destroying the baffles and possibly the tube if it spits the baffles out.

I'm afraid you're right, which is why I made sure AAC's got a record of my complaint in case I've gotta make use of their lifetime warrantee.:)

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

underlined is pretty normal. Bolded is W...T...F.......

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

:nono:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's a Montgomery County requirement that shooters must purchase ammo at the range and cannot bring (or leave with) ammo. If anyone knows of another indoor range in Montgomery County that doesn't have this requirement, please let me know.

I understand you can't bring your own (even though it's moronic) but how the hell can they pass a law saying you can't leave the range with legally purchased ammo? WTF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's a Montgomery County requirement that shooters must purchase ammo at the range and cannot bring (or leave with) ammo. If anyone knows of another indoor range in Montgomery County that doesn't have this requirement, please let me know.

Btw, I'm shocked you can shoot suppressed at Gilbert's

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I understand you can't bring your own (even though it's moronic) but how the hell can they pass a law saying you can't leave the range with legally purchased ammo? WTF?

Idk, how can they pass a law saying you need a license to buy more of something you already own and must wait 7 days after paying for it to take possession? ;)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's a Montgomery County requirement that shooters must purchase ammo at the range and cannot bring (or leave with) ammo.

I know this doesn't actually practically matter, but is this a Montgomery County law? If so, it's illegal via state preemption.

Maryland code, section 4-209 states:
    §4-209.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

(b) (1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:

(i) with respect to minors;

(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and

(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

Is Gilbert's within 100 yards of a park, church, school, public building, or other place of public assembly? If not, that regulation is null and void. Of course, real world, we all know that's not the case, as Montgomery is going to keep doing what they want (witness the fact that some companies won't ship ammo there due to another illegal regulation), but still, it bears mentioning.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

You're trying to use logic and reason to decipher laws written by mental two year-olds (i.e., leftists)? Seriously?:lol2:

Btw, I'm shocked you can shoot suppressed at Gilbert's

Shush.

Idk, how can they pass a law saying you need a license to buy more of something you already own and must wait 7 days after paying for it to take possession? ;)

See above.

I know this doesn't actually practically matter, but is this a Montgomery County law? If so, it's illegal via state preemption.
    Maryland code, section 4-209 states:

I can't find the link just now, but there was an old article in the Washington Post or some local paper explaining that Montgomery County did not want a gun range in the county because they feared having citizens driving around with guns and ammo in their cars. The Horror!! So, to placate the nervous nellies, Gilberts had to require that all ammo be purchased on site and that all "leftovers" be left (i.e., "donated") there.
    Beyond that, see above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom