• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Looks like they sell a 10.5" pistol barrel, although it looks like it's missing the front sight. Is that the easiest way to go, or would it be better to chop the current barrel and keep the compensator? I want to file my form before the end of the year and am trying to figure out OAL and such...Thanks.

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Looks like they sell a 10.5" pistol barrel, although it looks like it's missing the front sight. Is that the easiest way to go, or would it be better to chop the current barrel and keep the compensator? I want to file my form before the end of the year and am trying to figure out OAL and such...Thanks.

Same boat here.

From what i've read its best to buy a barrel and have a smith install it after you get a stamp. It sounds like the barrel change out is a little tricky.

Sorry, but i haven't been keeping up. Whats the deal with the end of the year?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Same boat here.

From what i've read its best to buy a barrel and have a smith install it after you get a stamp. It sounds like the barrel change out is a little tricky.

Sorry, but i haven't been keeping up. Whats the deal with the end of the year?

Nothing per se...Just want to get things done sooner rather than later if you know what I mean. Planned to do this back in 2013 but it's still sitting in the box unfired.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Nothing per se...Just want to get things done sooner rather than later if you know what I mean. Planned to do this back in 2013 but it's still sitting in the box unfired.

I hear you. I have the 16" Auto Ordnance M1 and I cant stand taking it out to the range. I almost feel bad for the gun :sad20:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You wont have a front sight is you whack a barrel.

Replacing the barrel is the easiest.

BTW, Semi Auto Thompsons DO suck. You will also need to compensate for the suppressor with heavier springs or do something like drill the bolt and add tungsten weights in the bolt.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    You wont have a front sight is you whack a barrel.

Replacing the barrel is the easiest.

BTW, Semi Auto Thompsons DO suck. You will also need to compensate for the suppressor with heavier springs or do something like drill the bolt and add tungsten weights in the bolt.

So, if I follow correctly, I can use the pistol barrel (finned and threaded) add the compensator with a sight (or maybe reuse my existing one?) and order/have the barrel installed once the forms come in? I didn't follow your comment about heavier springs or adding weight...I'm not looking to suppress it, just cut 6" off the barrel :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So, if I follow correctly, I can use the pistol barrel (finned and threaded) add the compensator with a sight (or maybe reuse my existing one?) and order/have the barrel installed once the forms come in? I didn't follow your comment about heavier springs or adding weight...I'm not looking to suppress it, just cut 6" off the barrel :D

Yes after the form 1 clears you can go 2 ways.

A smith could cut the sight off the 16" barrel, and sleeve it on the existing barrel once its chopped. They could then press and pin the sight on the original barrel

You can also have the barrel replaced, I guarantee its just not something many smiths have done.

Replacing the barrel is less work as long as the smith isnt a hack.

They really are crappy guns though. You would be better off with a different .45 platform.

Nevermind the springing, I thought you were going to suppress it for some reason. My bad.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Yes after the form 1 clears you can go 2 ways.

A smith could cut the sight off the 16" barrel, and sleeve it on the existing barrel once its chopped. They could then press and pin the sight on the original barrel

You can also have the barrel replaced, I guarantee its just not something many smiths have done.

Replacing the barrel is less work as long as the smith isnt a hack.

They really are crappy guns though. You would be better off with a different .45 platform.

Nevermind the springing, I thought you were going to suppress it for some reason. My bad.

Thanks, yeah maybe I should shoot the thing first and make sure it's at least functional before spending even more money on it. It's just a fun-day gun after all with no defensive purpose so I'm OK with an occasional stoppage or hiccup. I'll never afford the real deal, so this will have to suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom