• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Are the FMJ rifle ammunition still banned for deer hunting?
    I can't find such info on the current Hunting Guide, but did find it in the 2007 thread.
    Thanks.

Why use crap ammo when there are so many better choices for a humane kill ???? Would never use fmj ammo personaly.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Are the FMJ rifle ammunition still banned for deer hunting?
    I can't find such info on the current Hunting Guide, but did find it in the 2007 thread.
    Thanks.

Why would you/anyone ever want to use full metal jacketed rounds for deer hunting?

There are many bullets designed to kill deer efficiently and humanely.

FMJ does neither.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Soon of a....

Shot right over the back of a really nice doe. Was aiming for its vitals as it walked out from behind a tree and it hunched/ducked down just as it started to clear the tree and as I pulled the trigger. At 30 dang yards too!!!

Ugh. I should have gotten it or the other doe. I am pretty sure they came in on my call. They were wary as hell, not feeding or anything. Looking around a lot and kept staring right at me. Sling got in the way. Spent too much time staring at them through my binocs at 50 yds instead of getting my ML at the ready. So they walked out on me at 20yds from a thick patch and caught me with my wang hanging out basically.

If I’d had my crap together both were broadside and motionless for about 15 seconds trying to figure me out. Then they kept prancing around back and forth I think looking for where the sound came from and then I flubbed it (after taking a couple of minutes to slowly ease my ML in to a shooting position).

Live and learn. Bumped a decent sized buck walking my stand back to my car and a small doe I probably should have seen if I had been paying better attention.

Still hunting for the afternoon and going to grab my stand again and go up a tree around 3pm

Should I even bother setting up near where I was this morning? After the shot they didn’t run far at first, but then slowly walked off. I tried a call or two which got them to pause out of range about 100yds away through a tiny gap in the trees, but then they kept going a few seconds later.

Educated deer who won’t be back to that area for a few days/weeks? Or do you think I have a shot and those ladies inhabit right around there and will be back? I have a few other places I am thinking of checking out to hang a stand for the evening sit that I think are also promising.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Soon of a....

Shot right over the back of a really nice doe. Was aiming for its vitals as it walked out from behind a tree and it hunched/ducked down just as it started to clear the tree and as I pulled the trigger. At 30 dang yards too!!!

Ugh. I should have gotten it or the other doe. I am pretty sure they came in on my call. They were wary as hell, not feeding or anything. Looking around a lot and kept staring right at me. Sling got in the way. Spent too much time staring at them through my binocs at 50 yds instead of getting my ML at the ready. So they walked out on me at 20yds from a thick patch and caught me with my wang hanging out basically.

If I’d had my crap together both were broadside and motionless for about 15 seconds trying to figure me out. Then they kept prancing around back and forth I think looking for where the sound came from and then I flubbed it (after taking a couple of minutes to slowly ease my ML in to a shooting position).

Live and learn. Bumped a decent sized buck walking my stand back to my car and a small doe I probably should have seen if I had been paying better attention.

Still hunting for the afternoon and going to grab my stand again and go up a tree around 3pm

Should I even bother setting up near where I was this morning? After the shot they didn’t run far at first, but then slowly walked off. I tried a call or two which got them to pause out of range about 100yds away through a tiny gap in the trees, but then they kept going a few seconds later.

Educated deer who won’t be back to that area for a few days/weeks? Or do you think I have a shot and those ladies inhabit right around there and will be back? I have a few other places I am thinking of checking out to hang a stand for the evening sit that I think are also promising.

"slowly walked off" I'd give it another try. WTH :shrug:

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    "slowly walked off" I'd give it another try. WTH :shrug:

x2 if you didn't hit either of them then they only associate you with a loud boom and not pain/danger. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had follow up shots with my muzzleloader after I've dropped the first one (or missed).

I've skipped hunting the past few weeks and I'm itching to get out a lot in the next few days.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    x2 if you didn't hit either of them then they only associate you with a loud boom and not pain/danger. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had follow up shots with my muzzleloader after I've dropped the first one (or missed).

I've skipped hunting the past few weeks and I'm itching to get out a lot in the next few days.
    And I'll x2 on follow up shots with MLs. I think they think it's just a little thunder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    anybody use 300 blackout for deer? whats the legal limit of velocity and muzzle energy for hunting them? i thought i heard 5.56 was illegal

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If my head wasn’t 10 feet up my ass I probably could have managed a follow up shot. Except I had my ML kit in my bag. So I had to pull that out, pour a tube of powder in, pull the ram rod out, pull a bullet and sabot out of the other tube, jam it in, pull out the primer caps.

A confederate soldier with one arm blown off could probably have reloaded a ML faster. Other mental note. Keep a reload IN A POCKET WHERE I CAN GET AT IT FAST!

Still torn on setting back up slightly down that hill in the evening or a different spot. Leaning towards trying that hill tomorrow morning again, but a different spot this evening. Only seems to be 1 truck at Browns church and the spot I am thinking of setting up often seems to have guys in it when it gets busy. My morning spot, not so much.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    anybody use 300 blackout for deer? whats the legal limit of velocity and muzzle energy for hunting them? i thought i heard 5.56 was illegal

1200ft-lbs, no caliber limit with rifles. A 5.56 can be legally for a higher powered load. Technically you’d need a 20” or so Barrel is a REALLY hit 5.56 load as there isn’t much that’ll produce 1200 out of a 16” Barrel. Box info is generally for a 24” Barrel. Though DNR seems to pretty much say to just check the box.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If my head wasn’t 10 feet up my ass I probably could have managed a follow up shot. Except I had my ML kit in my bag. So I had to pull that out, pour a tube of powder in, pull the ram rod out, pull a bullet and sabot out of the other tube, jam it in, pull out the primer caps.

A confederate soldier with one arm blown off could probably have reloaded a ML faster. Other mental note. Keep a reload IN A POCKET WHERE I CAN GET AT IT FAST!

Still torn on setting back up slightly down that hill in the evening or a different spot. Leaning towards trying that hill tomorrow morning again, but a different spot this evening. Only seems to be 1 truck at Browns church and the spot I am thinking of setting up often seems to have guys in it when it gets busy. My morning spot, not so much.

Go with your gut.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I believe both are legal in Md where center fire rifles are legal for hunting deer. I don't know muz/velocity or energy though.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    1200ft-lbs, no caliber limit with rifles. A 5.56 can be legally for a higher powered load. Technically you’d need a 20” or so Barrel is a REALLY hit 5.56 load as there isn’t much that’ll produce 1200 out of a 16” Barrel. Box info is generally for a 24” Barrel. Though DNR seems to pretty much say to just check the box.

I believe both are legal in Md where center fire rifles are legal for hunting deer. I don't know muz/velocity or energy though.

Thanks guys. now the real question is if i can use my 300blk pistol that i converted to a "firearm" (>26in overall) for these creatures. i hate carrying my 12lb .308 a mile back to my stand

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks guys. now the real question is if i can use my 300blk pistol that i converted to a "firearm" (>26in overall) for these creatures. i hate carrying my 12lb .308 a mile back to my stand
    As long as you use supersonic ammo, you are GTG whether it's a pistol or rifle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You can hunt with a handgun as long as it has the energy. My friend takes a few deer every year with a classic Ruger in .45 long colt.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If MD considers them rifles, then 1200lb-ft. If pistols 700lb-ft and 6” barrel minimum. Probably GTG since I assume you are talking >10.5” Barrel.

As for where to go. I am thinking of setting up near Brown’s church in the spot I’ve been eyeing. Got back to my car. Two guys just headed in and the direction of Long Corner, but I don’t think they were headed where I was this morning from what they were mentioning. Other truck just left with a guy headed home. The two guys mentioned someone was gutting a decent buck by the side of the road this morning when they got in (they came late). One of the twosome had 3 caps fail in a ro2 trying to shoot a doe before it finally took off.

I feel bad for him (and a little better myself).

PS darn park is nearly deserted! Even for the Thursday of ML, there is about half the guys here there normally is.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just know that Handguns can not be used where Shotguns are required. Handguns ok where centerfire rifles are allowed only. Unless a muzzle loading pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom