Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 24th, 2017, 11:02 PM #91

PTR32 (7.62x39) is legal. The others aren't.
Well, a proper PSG1 clone should be legal (BCG is different than G3)
A HK21/21E passes muster too
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:13 PM #92

DT MDR 308

TAVOR 7 (Sometime in the Future).

DRD Paratus.

So glad we moved to WV...

"My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the U.S. of A."

ďFollowing your convictions means you must be willing to face criticism from those who lack the same courage,Ē

ďin America we donít worship government, we worship God.Ē

GYSGT USMC Ret
TheGunnyRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:15 PM #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyllama View Post
Love my ace. Just replaced the hand guard with the Midwest industries 10Ē.

Sweet Rifle the Hand Guard looks nice, do you think it stabilizes the Rifle better?

"My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the U.S. of A."

ďFollowing your convictions means you must be willing to face criticism from those who lack the same courage,Ē

ďin America we donít worship government, we worship God.Ē

GYSGT USMC Ret
TheGunnyRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 07:31 PM #94
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyllama View Post
Love my ace. Just replaced the hand guard with the Midwest industries 10Ē.

I like!!

How does it shoot?
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 08:59 PM #95

The ace shoots wonderfully. I have not had a chance to shoot with the new rail on it, but it feels much better. Lighter and more stable than the factory rail.

The comp it comes with does a great job of minimizing recoil without being too obnoxious.

Recoil is surprisingly mild in general. I havenít shot for pure accuracy as I want to keep it light and maneuverable. With a red dot I have no problem repeatedly ringing an 8Ē gong at 100yds.

It feeds and ejects everything so far. Only issue I had was a zqi case ejected back into the action. Zqi is pretty lightly loaded and the gun was new at this point. Otherwise it has been utterly reliable.

It makes anyone who shoots it grin.
I havenít and probably wonít suppress it. I like it better than the ruger sr762 I had. I do wish it had an adjustable gas block. If it did I think it would be the clear choice for anyone contemplating this question.
Jollyllama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:59 PM #96

The Midwest hand guard looks great on there, I didn't know they were making them for the ace. Was the install pretty straight forward?
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 01:28 AM #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker View Post
The Midwest hand guard looks great on there, I didn't know they were making them for the ace. Was the install pretty straight forward?

Takes regular AK furniture up front I believe...
Xshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 06:44 AM #98

It does not take regular ak furniture.

There are three options for aftermarket hand guards RS Regulate which are never in stock and took a couple years to develop and is a whole saga you can easily find on the web, MI industries, and an altered magpul plastic one.

The RS Regulate one is pretty sweet too. A bit more expensive and the anticipation over 2-3 years for it will keep it hard to get from the small manufacturer. The magpul one isnít bad, but is plastic.

The MI one is in stock, lighter than the standard one that came with it, offers a much longer area (a longer one is available as well), and was very easy to install. Just a few screws. Took longer for the alcohol to dry after degreasing the screw holes than to actually install it.

It feels rock solid and is a huge improvement over the stubby and bulky plastic rail that can with it. I didnít opt for the longer one (obviously) as I donít need one any longer than what I have and wanted to keep weight down a little, especially towards the muzzle. The rail also offers qd attachment points for a sling, and endless configurations for gadget rail hangers.

This isnít a super heavy gun, but anyone that has handled an ar 308 knows that after optics and everything you can easily be pushing 10 lbs. This set up is lighter and way more balanced than the ruger sr762 which I found to be front heavy, and little more ammo finicky. I also became irritated at the inability to remove, clean and inspect the piston transfer rod on the ruger. It is pinned under the hand guard. Ruger says it is good for the life of the rifle and removing it shouldnít be done by mere end users as the spring is captured by the roll pins.

The sr762 was accurate and the adjustable gas block allows it to easily run suppressed. Some ammo (zqi) I tested through it requires the gas block to be opened to the widest position to function. Granted I didnít shoot it a ton and there was some breaking in yet to be done, but the proprietary parts, weight once scoped, and ammo related issues turned me off. It did come with a great stock trigger.

I have none of these issues with the ace. It is a different system all together so not the best comparison. The fact that it has already been tested as a combat arm, it has proven reliable through many rounds, is pretty accurate and well balanced won me over. The folding stock is a bonus. The trigger on the ace isnít great, but not bad either.
Old October 26th, 2017, 06:53 AM #99
Bear with Arms

Bear with Arms

I would go Galil ACE or VEPR. I LOVE my VEPR, but the mags suck.
chooks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 08:01 PM #100

When this question came up for me a couple years ago I did a lot of research, as I tend to overdo. Didnít want to spend Scar money, and scar mag money. Vepr/ m77 seemed ok but a little rough around the edges, and again the mags. Not impossible to find but tend to be expensive. Certainly not your magpul variety buy anywhere type mags.

Shot some ar 308s and they always felt too heavy once properly equipped, or didnít work completely. Plus the lack of commonality in parts.

Settled for a while on the sr762 as I really wanted an adjustable gas block and i have had good success with ruger and feel that they will be around for a while if I needed them.

To get the most out of the sr762 it really needs to be scoped, and becomes the weight of a benchrest gun. Plus (and i didnít really put it through all its paces) it was a little ammo sensitive even after a good cleaning and lube.

Had a c308 for a while but it was just cumbersome and I never trusted it. Just didnít speak to me.

Everything else is illegal or heavy.

I decided that a bolt gun would be better than an adjustable gas block and for distance shooting. And something else would satisfy the semi auto role. I was pretty close to the m77/vepr purchase since for the difference in cost for the galil I could buy a lot of mags. But then that is another specific mag to stock and source.

I held the galil and it was all the things the vepr/m77 wasnít. It felt a little more balanced, reportedly had a little better accuracy, smooth cycling, robust milled receiver, accepted sr25 mags, came from a company that will likely stand behind the product. I honestly donít know about molot and their CS, it might be great, who knows.

The galil isnít light, about the same as the sr762, but it feels lighter. It ejects brass with authority (not great for reloading), has proven reliable so far, is easy to clean, has tight tolerances where they count and the reliability of the long stroke piston. It feels perfectly equipped with a red dot, and the irons are great as well.

It is a little pricey, but no more so than a nice ar308. It is generally lighter. If you need more accuracy than it delivers, you need a bolt gun.

That was my thought process and story and how I came here.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles