• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The recoil spring in my commander size Tisas 1911PCS is very heavy - about 23# according to the literature. It is also a captive two spring system that may be proprietary. I want to replace it with a 16# system. I tried the 1911forum, but received no response when I asked about a source for the spring and guide rod system. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 385

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Off the top of my head don't have a source for that specific system .

But I will observe the standard weight for 4.25in is 18lb . ( Presuming .45acp . Due to the physics of the shorter length , 18lb in 4.25in is equivalent to 16lb in 5in .)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    + 1. ^^^^

A standard Commander length recoil spring guide rod and plug should work to handle the spring. My CMD Ruger is softer shooting with a 24 pound spring but follow up shots are not as fast.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Standard is 18 lb . Just like 5.0in 1911 , Glocks, etc , lots of people prefer heavier .. Each side can hold forth at length why theirs is better , with near religious zeal .

One of the popular opinions for Commanders is 24 lb . Your current set up falls within the range of cômmon choices .

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Appreciate the feedback and suggestions. After more research it appears that this type of captive dual spring set-up has a much longer life than conventional single springs. At some point I'll still have to replace it. It is a bushingless system, so that probably means a full commander length two piece guide rod with the appropriate weight spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom