• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Before anyone says "contact Smith and Wesson" I get it. Probably will need to do so. :)

I just wanted to see if anyone had problems with the 15-22 suddenly doing light strikes, and if there were any recommendations BEFORE I contact them.....

I have never had the bolt apart, so haven't taken it apart to completely clean it.

If this is something that is uncommon I am happy to contact them. It already went back once for being a jam machine.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's common if the bolt hasn't been thoroughly cleaned, especially if you've shot dirty bulk ammo through it. More than likely, the firing pin is gummed up.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    S&W will be pribably want you send it in. The 1522 bcg is super easy to completely disassemble. I'm sure there are plenty of how to videos on YouTube if your not familiar.

I would give it a very thorough cleaning and try shooting again before calling.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lots of things can cause this but in my experience it's the ramp/mouth shaving the projectile as it's fed. This means the bolt is to 100% in battery which can result in light strikes. Running the gun too dry can allow lead fouling to mess up proper movement of the firing pin and bolt.

It's also possible that the hammer, hammer pin, or hammer spring are a problem. Again a dry FCG can cause light strikes.

These are all speculation as I don't have the gun in front of me.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    no issues with mine at all. I clean and oil mine well..and use only copper jacketed ammo. Find any round nose lead tip will foul my 22lr's super fast.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Update - 15-22 issue "resolved"

This issue finally is resolved, or at least will be when Joe Bob's ship the part to me.....

I took the M&P 15-22 bolt apart, and yes the firing pin channel and spring were an oily carbon mess. Cleaned it out, re-assembled, and then took it back to the range.

Still light strikes. Then I look closer, and the hammer spring pin is partially out causing the hammer to cant.

Pushed it back, and after 10 shots it walked again. WTF! Took it apart and low and behold, there is a small spring clip at the bottom the trigger was missing.....:wtf:

So, after reading several threads here on MDS, (Search is your friend!) I was able to determine that S&W may or may not charge me for shipping to have it repaired. Plus all the effort of shipping even if they are paying for it, isn't worth it to me.

Some recommended KNS anti walk pins, but I found these on Joe Bob's and ordered. $15 with shipping, and a LOT less hassle then going through the manufacturer to ship, and fight about shipping.

CMC-91403 CMC Smith & Wesson M&P Anti-Walk Pin Kit 15-22 22LR $11.95

When I get them and install them, I will update this thread to let you know how they work. They have 5 stars on JBO website, we shall see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom