• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So of course only part way in have I realized I don't have a "before" picture. However I think we've all seen plenty of plain basic beechwood stock 10/22s.

I am cutting off the barrel band nubbin, cutting back the stock to fit an actual butt pad, sanding it down, giving it some walnut stain and hitting it with tru oil. I also polished the chamber with some steel wool hoping to reduce stove pipes a little more and slapped in a JHM extended charging handle (a little wider, 1/4" longer and skeletonized. Just to give a tiny bit more purchase without digging in to me if I carry it charging handle towards me on a sling).

So far I've done all of the cuts. I'll have to measure LOP, but with the new butt pad on, I'd say about 1/2" shorter. Might be 3/4", but probably not. A little shorter is fine for me and great for my son. Ground down the rear of the stock so it isn't square along the top, but a nice smooth rounded rear of the stock. Sanded the butt pad to fit and sanded the whole thing.

I am just waiting for the wood filler that is filling the channel from the old butt plate (along the top) to finish drying the last little bit (final coat of that), sand it and I can stain the stock and then start with tru oil. I am hoping to have the first coat of tru oil on tonight. Then 3-4 coats later (as many days) and it'll be done.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpg
      IMG_2911.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 269

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Even beech looks a lot better with some walnut stain and tru oil. A finish coat and some light steel wooling along with some finisher and it is ready to go back together.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpg
      IMG_2914.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 229

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also if I can get a 3-way machine at some point I'll start making stocks from scratch. I've got a nice black walnut in my front yard that is choking my pine trees and also has a couple of very large branches that need to come off of it. Easily enough for several stocks (including some losses to trial and error).

Also need a checkering cutter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Done!

I swear, tru oil makes lie of the old saw you can't polish a turd!

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
      IMG_2928.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 216
    • IMG_2927.jpg
      IMG_2927.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 219
    • IMG_2929.jpg
      IMG_2929.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 211
    • IMG_2930.jpg
      IMG_2930.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 214

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I used tru oil on the first muzzloaders that I built. I found once I had sufficient coverage and it was completely dry I would wet sand with the oil cut back with some minerals spirits and it would get even better with more depth and less flash or shine if you will. I like it and there used to be a similar product called lin-speed but I'm not sure if its available anymore. Good to see one with the original barrel in place that's a nice rifle and work.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    At least pre-free float and removal of the barrel band it was shooting 5 shot groups of match ammo and minimags a little under 1.25" at 50yds.

50/50 I end up with a 16" threaded ER Shaw barrel so I can mount a linear comp to take sound down one more notch and so I can mount a suppressor some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom