• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    Hope this isn't a dup, but if it is someone will tell me.

Has anyone had any problems with shooting Rem Golden Bullets in their 10/22?

I'v read that some people think that they are "fatter" than other makes or that they are just "cheap" ammo with lots of FTF / FTE.

Thanks for any input.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    My 10/22 never worked with that. FTF every 5-7 shots from both Ruger 10rd and 25rd.

Automatch worked great though for the cheaper stuff, as did Wolf match for the pricy option, so I assume it's the ammo and not the gun or mags.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    My 10/22 loves them! Mines just a run of the mill basic 10/22 with the stock thin barrel. Stock 10 round mags and I use the HC high capacity mags with no problems.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Mine runs fine, but less accurate with them. It loves the Automatch.

I did have some old golden bullets that had some black goop on them. I shot them just to get rid of them and had a number of issues with that box. Cleaned the 10/22 and it has been fine since then.

I tested a bunch of brands out when I first got the rifle. It shoots automatch the best. I tried Eley but had tons of feeding and extraction issues. CCI was almost as good as automatch. Remington was just dirty as hell.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My 10/22 would jam up badly on them. Automatch was better but CCI AR Tac is by far the most reliable bulk ammo I've found.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    My 10/22 never worked with that. FTF every 5-7 shots from both Ruger 10rd and 25rd.

Automatch worked great though for the cheaper stuff, as did Wolf match for the pricy option, so I assume it's the ammo and not the gun or mags.

Just to be clear, Failure to Fire, like a dud round, or various types of jamming?

Stove pipes (empty case trapped sideways by the bolt) seem to be the biggest problem by far with all ammo.

GBs have been less accurate than most in my plinking experience.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Mine likes them well enough. Don't ever seem to get jams with the 10 round rotary mag. Not sure on absolute accuracy, but at ~50 yards I never miss what I'm aiming at.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Just to be clear, Failure to Fire, like a dud round, or various types of jamming?

Stove pipes (empty case trapped sideways by the bolt) seem to be the biggest problem by far with all ammo.

Sorry - meant failure to feed. Refused to chamber correctly.

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    Most experienced rimfire shooters will agree that Remington Golden Bullets and Thunder Bolts are the bottom of the 22 rimfire ammo barrel. A select few will say it runs good and love it but most will not. Earlier this year before 22lr became readily available again and I was still just picking up what ever I could find I actually ran some thunder bolts and some golden bullets and they ran pretty well, dirty as always but did go bang 99% of the time. One thing to remember with rimfires some are very picky and will not run the best most expensive ammo but will run the cheap stuff all day you just have to find out what ours like, generally Federal and CCI runs well.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Almost all of my 22s eat them up. Maybe one out of 200-250 will occasionally get jammed up on the feed ramp and squash the projectile. I've had similar issues with more expensive bullets so I don't particularly see a problem with them. This is what I've mostly been stockpiling since the drought days (and before). I'm prepared to live off of them for several years if need be.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Mine as well doctor_M. I do not have many 22L like others. but mine seem to not mind as much. My M&P 15/22 eats anything. Like my kids.. I have an old ass Savage 6a from my father that was built in the 30's or early 40's. It has the Utica, NY markings on the barrel. It even shoots them ok. I do get some jams once in a while. The Savage did NOT like a box of hollow points I purchased in VT. forgot the manufacturer.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I was shooting Remington rimfires I didn't feed them Remington ammo either. And neither did most of the other people on the RimfireCentral.com Remington forum. Some rifles shoot them fine but you have to clean your firearm more often if you do because its dirty ammo. I use CCI AR-Tactical for matches and AutoMatch for practice in my 10/22s because they have the same listed speed. My Remington 597 silhouette rifle gets either CCI SV or Norma Tac-22.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, I've gone through 2 extractors and now I am on a volquartsen extractor and it is better. Stock I ran 1 stovepipe in 10-15 rounds with everything except minimags (about 1 in 40 there). A power custom went to 1:7, but zero minimag stovepipes. With the Volquartsen it is to about 1:40 stovepipes and zero with minimags.

A suggestion I've gotten is to polish the chamber with steel wool. I am doing some work to remove the barrel band, cut off and smooth out the nub on the stock where it goes. I'll probably remove the barrel and polish it with a drill and steel wool.

DentonDog

May 18, 2017
    Caroline Co, MD
    Golden Bullets have worked fine in my S&W Victory. Only one FTF out of 100. I did have regular FTEs at first, but made a slight adjustment to the ejector and have had no issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom