• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • async

May 5, 2013
    We all know magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds are now illegal to buy/sell/transfer in Maryland.

Here is my question: Would it be legal to buy a 10 round .50 Beowulf AR magazine in Maryland?

Last edited:

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    We all know magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds are now illegal to buy/sell/transfer in Maryland, however, I think there may be a loophole in the law (for AR magazines at least).

Here is my question: Would it be legal to buy a 10 round .50 Beowulf AR magazine in Maryland?

:innocent0:innocent0

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    don't push the envelope and make it worse for everyone............take a Saturday, take the youngsters on a mini trip to some awesome fun place in VA or PA and grab some standard mags on your way back.

The Phrase "Stay in your own lane" seems to come to my mind the more I view this website.

async

May 5, 2013
    DUMB QUESTION ALERT

I assume the op was trying to be "funny", but I don't get it. What am I missing ?

A .50 Beowulf AR uses standard AR magazines, but a 30 round standard magazine can only hold 10 .50 Beowulf rounds. If that magazine simply had 10x .50 Beowulf written on the side instead of 30x 5.56, would it be legal to buy in MD since it is technically a 10 round magazine?

How is that a stupid question?

async

May 5, 2013
    don't push the envelope and make it worse for everyone............take a Saturday, take the youngsters on a mini trip to some awesome fun place in VA or PA and grab some standard mags on your way back.

The Phrase "Stay in your own lane" seems to come to my mind the more I view this website.

Not sure how asking a question could "make it worse". Jesus are all 2a supporters in Maryland so spineless?

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Not sure how asking a question could "make it worse". Jesus are all 2a supporters in Maryland so willing to follow the laws to avoid a felony conviction that would cause them to lose their right to own firearms for the foreseeable future?

Yes.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Tromix sells 458 socom mags to md

Tromix changes the follower so that it will not work 223 and has a 458 baseplate. The magazine is modified so changing the follower back to 223 is difficult.

I'm assuming they got this back from their lawyers.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Alexander Arms has them for sale. See if they'll ship you one. They are sold as a 10 round magazine but I think the follower and feed lips are slightly different.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    A .50 Beowulf AR uses standard AR magazines, but a 30 round standard magazine can only hold 10 .50 Beowulf rounds. If that magazine simply had 10x .50 Beowulf written on the side instead of 30x 5.56, would it be legal to buy in MD since it is technically a 10 round magazine?

How is that a stupid question?

Thanks for the explanation.

Just trying to stay a step ahead of the trolls.

async

May 5, 2013

Why not try to answer the original question? I said nothing about running that 10 round .50 Beowulf magazine in a 5.56 rifle. If someone in Maryland owns a .50 Beowulf rifle in md, could they buy a 10 round .50 Beowulf magazine for that rifle in md. That is the question.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Why not try to answer the original question? I said nothing about running that 10 round .50 Beowulf magazine in a 5.56 rifle. If someone in Maryland owns a .50 Beowulf rifle in md, could they buy a 10 round .50 Beowulf magazine for that rifle in md. That is the question.

Yes, it's legal to buy a 10 round magazine for a .50 Beowulf if you own a rifle of the same caliber. What's to ask there?

The question being posed looks suspiciously like a way to skirt the law in case you don't own a .50 Beowulf weapon.

Does that answer the question to your satisfaction?

I'm skeptical, not stupid.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

All 10 round magazines are LEGAL to buy in MD. Why would you put a thread title such as "magazine loophole"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr H

Banana'd
    Not sure how asking a question could "make it worse". Jesus are all 2a supporters in Maryland so spineless?

Calling anything a [potential] "loophole" gets all sorts of antennae up around here.

We tend to like to improve our chances, rather than muck around with questionable actions and language... especially in the public space of the forum.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ef0f1168f09628476d55ecd0be9e3dc9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater