• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just how powerful are they? I know they are quite low velocity. Just second guessing myself now. Neighbor had a cornered coon that I only had a bead on for about 3 seconds before it hid and couldn't get to it. No real chance of a head shot so I didn't pull the trigger. Certainly could have gotten a body shot, but unsure it would have been a vitals hit. I don't have any love for raccoons, but I also don't really want to just wound an animal.

It was harassing his chickens.

Thought for next time? Range was close, less than 10 yards and certainly the biggest coon I've ever seen. Must have been a good 18-22lbs.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Never shot anything with it but at the range last week, I did notice about a 2 inch drop compared to standard velocity at 25 yards

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I doubt the coon is as concerned about wounding your neighbor's chickens as you are about wounding the coon.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    They will do the job but shot placement is more important than with a std .22. Std may be going 1100 or more and I think those are 800 or less. More power than most .22 air guns since its a heavier projectile but not a hammer either.

I stick to head shots when I use them.

Some now are sectioned bullets and break into 3 or 4 pieces upon impact (supposedly) and so may be more effective for a body shot but I prefer a known clean kill.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I think I posted some unscientific shots through various material. At 10yds I was surprised how some of the bullets deformed. I'm sure they become less effective much sooner than other velocity ammo as distance increases.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like the CCI quiets but they don't have enough power to cycle the slides on my semi auto pistols.

It is out of a 10/22, which definitely won't cycle the action. I was prepared for the straight pull to cycle it.

Also thanks everyone else for weighing in. Didn't help that it was in my neighbors shed, so I was a little nervous about accidently hitting something else. Like, his mower for example. So I wanted to be extra sure of my shot before taking it. Probably should have just gone for a body shot, which would have been pretty stupid hard to miss at that range on a slow moving coon.

I was also a little worried on wounding it and then having a 20lbs coon looking for blood.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    My semi auto rifle cycles them fine. They seem to be more quiet than my Daisy 1000 break action pellet rifle. The box claims 710fps...not sure what gun they measured the velocity with. Anyway, I shot two groundhogs at a distance of 20 yards with the CCI quiet 22lr ammo. The first one I shot through the neck and it managed to crawl under a woodpile that was right beside it. I moved away some of the wood and finished it off with another shot.
    The second one was a week later and in the same spot. This time it was walking away from me getting ready to enter under the wood pile, so I gave it six as fast as I could accurately place the rounds. It never made it under the woodpile. I'm impressed with them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have many thousands of these and they are great little shooters. I've been working on getting them to work out of my 10/22/suppressed. Not completely reliable yet.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    My youngest daughter shot a 5 shot 1 hole group offhand with that ammo last year with her Savage Lil rascal. Distance was around 10 yards. She was too short to lean off of the bench. I was so proud of her for that, I bought her and her sister ice cream cones to celebrate. It was her first or second time shooting that rifle

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My youngest daughter shot a 5 shot 1 hole group offhand with that ammo last year with her Savage Lil rascal. Distance was around 10 yards. She was too short to lean off of the bench. I was so proud of her for that, I bought her and her sister ice cream cones to celebrate. It was her first or second time shooting that rifle��

That's some mighty fine shooting. Keep it up. She'll be another Annie Oakley very soon.

Congrats!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've killed 2 groundhogs with them. Both head shots. Both clean kills.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Just shoot it out of a long gun. Use a scope if you can since shot placement will be critical. I shoot lots of it through single-shot rifles. No hearing protection necessary.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I've killed 2 groundhogs with them. Both head shots. Both clean kills.
    I have killed many groundhogs with a 22 rifle and Quiets. You need a head shot to drop em and a good head shot will roll them right over with an exit wound on the opposite side. We do some varmint control around livestock (horses and cattle) and they (especially the horses) don't like loud noises, so 223 are out of the question. I now have a suppressed 22, so I can use CCI std velocity and gain a little more range with very little report as compared to a quiet unsuppressed, so that will be my go to load in those situations.

They drop fast. I have a rifle sighted dead-on at 25yds, at 50 it has a 3.5" drop and I doubt I'd shoot more than 30-40yds with a quiet and expect a kill on a groundhog with a good head shot. I can cut a ragged hole with 10 shots on a 25yd target, they are surprisingly accurate at close ranges.

If you really pay attention when sighting them in on a target at 25yds, you can see the bullet hit the target (well, more likely the vapor trail, but it is very evident)... lol

Sirex