• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Sounds like a story there :-)

A long, long time ago, in a state far away.
    A young lad of about 10 summers was target shoot with his family and friends. The lads older brother who was around 21 summers was passing his single six 22 revolver to the young lad and at the same time trying to show off a bit for a lovely lass. He cocked the hammer back and went to pass the revolver by the trigger guard, with his booger hook in the trigger guard, when the young lad saw this, he hesitated in his reach for the grip, the brothers booger hook moved on the trigger guard and the revolver fired striking the him in foot. Note the lad never touched the grip. The older brother spent 3 days in a Nogales hospital, and a few weeks on crutches.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Ahhh... as always...

img-thing

Thanks for sharing. From this description, you are absolved, my son... go in peace. Glad your brother was OK and hopefully learned something that day. Although from my experience, a woman is unusually a pain in the posterior not the foot :-)

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    My brother in law was shot in the abdomen with a 22lr out of a pistol. He died on the spot. Not sure what organ it hit but it was lower than center of chest. I've heard more people are killed with the .22 caliber than any other but not sure if that is a myth or if true. Defiantly true in my family.....

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    shot placement is a big factor. even a grenade through the hand can be non-lethal.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23438...-after-military-exercise-goes-horribly-wrong/

this would probably result in a bad time
    Hornets+nest+shell_9b5bba_6265963.jpg

Very cool. Saw a gun recently on Pinterest that appeared to be like an over/under shotgun pistol; and each tube was actually a nest that shot 6 .22LR shells simultaneously. So if you double blast it, that's 12 .22LR rounds at once. Pretty devastating.

22 Mag is a bad boy. Some of those rounds travel at 2,300 FPS and have ballistic tips. When I put the 22 Mag cylinder in my Heritage Rough Rider and send a few down range, it's pretty obvious this isn't your garden variety 22.
    /QUOTE]

Absolutely. This is why I say caliber isn't that important, and just generally default to recommending 9mm for most people in most defensive applications (mostly because of the selection and its generally least expensive (not counting .22))

Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png

My brother in law was shot in the abdomen with a 22lr out of a pistol. He died on the spot. Not sure what organ it hit but it was lower than center of chest. I've heard more people are killed with the .22 caliber than any other but not sure if that is a myth or if true. Defiantly true in my family.....

Most likely hit him in the liver, that organ is not so flexible and completely ruptures upon temporary cavity. A neighbor that I didn't know several years ago was shot in the liver, and he too died; not sure he even made it to the hospital. body armor

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    To your question about antidotes of .22 not working.

Many years ago there was an authoritative account of a police officer who was some how disarmed during an altercation with a perp; and the perp chased the cop around a car shooting him numerous times with a .22LR rifle. I can't remember, but want to say that I believe the officer was shot over 10 times while running dodging around the car by the perp and survived.

This is not to say that one well placed .22LR would not kill a man/beast instantly, it would. As a child, I've seen a huge hog killed with a single .22LR shot to the skull.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I chrono'd rim ammo several years back in handguns

22 LR, Federal Classic 40 grain, Rem GB 40 grain, 5.5" Ruger MkII: 900 - 925 fps

22 Mag, CCi Maxi Mag 40 grain, Old Model 6.5" Ruger Single Six: 1400 fps

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Aguila

.22 SUPERMAXIMUM / LONG RIFLE HYPER VELOCITY COPPER-PLATED SOLID POINT

The fastest .22 rimfire round on the market, this premium 30-grain round delivers a blazing 1,700 feet per second of muzzle velocity and provides impressive accuracy for small-game, varmint, or target shooting.

VELOCITY
    Muzzle ft/sec 1,700
    100 yds ft/sec 1,290

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well that settles it my main defense gun now is my MP5 in 22lr, 25 round mag and the perps chest will look like that carnival game where you have to shoot out the star. :D

Ever have a failure to feed, a due round, stove pipe or failure to eject? Maybe my sample size isn't good, but both 22lr semi auto rifles I've had at least have occasional failures. Might not be often, but if i have 1 failure in 100 or even 200, I don't want a 1% chance or even half a percent chance that my gun doesn't work. My centerfires, the ONLY gun I've ever had issues with is my 870. That is only hand placement or steel cup rounds. The former sometimes the spent hull hitting my gloved hand if I hold it wrong on the slide, the later that it doesn't like pulling steel cup shells out of the chamber in rapid fire. Brass, no issues racking as fast as I can.

My AR-15 I've only had one failure, a double feed when the magazine wasn't properly seated. Otherwise zero failures in about 500 rounds through it.

My .308, zero failures in a couple of hundred rounds, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom