• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hey everyone... I've been looking at 10/22s again and want a heavy barreled target version. Preferably with a threaded barrel. Gunbroker has used ones in the $450-500 range, but I was considering just buying a stock 10/22 from WM ($210+tax) and then doing a Butler Creek or similar heavy barrel (~$100) and a Clark trigger (around another $100)...but, then I'd still need a stock... thoughts?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I've never looked into it, but is it possible to build a 10/22 from parts like you would an AR? You know, buy the receiver, stock, barrel, etc separately and build it yourself? Seems like that would be the most economical if it's an option.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I've never looked into it, but is it possible to build a 10/22 from parts like you would an AR? You know, buy the receiver, stock, barrel, etc separately and build it yourself? Seems like that would be the most economical if it's an option.

entirely possible to build a 10/22 from all parts... I did it last year. not cheaper tho, but you end up with a better product. OPs idea of starting with a basic rifle and adding upgrades is a great approach IMO.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The catch is everybody else wants to do the same thing, and the demand and price for bare recievers is high.

Flip side, is takeoff factory bbls and stocks are inexpensive.

The market is ripe for 10/22 recievers the price of AR recievers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I built a heavy barrel 10/22 wonder lotta years back. Fun to do, shot well. Like having a full size rifle. Ended up parting it out and selling the carbine in stock condition.
    I'd just buy the Ruger T model now. I look at them occasionally

Last edited:

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I built but, I wanted specific things. Light and accurate. Went with KIDD lightweight barrel, trigger, magpul stock. I am very happy with this setup.

I just bought another one since there are deals on the plane Jane synthetic ones right now. Future build. I test them though before building as you may find that unicorn stock barrel that shoots really well.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I had a friend who built an entire Volquartsen 10/22 about 15 years ago. It ended up being around $1500 after the optics and everything. Definitely a tack driver...but it was still just a 10/22.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I think I might take a drive up to the York show this weekend and see if I can find a stock 10/22 at a favorable price. I think I'm in the mood for another project that's not an AR or a Remington 700...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I built mine last year. Started with a basic 10/22 carbine I picked up for $180. Added a heavy barrel, target hammer, Magpul stock, and Nikon glass. It's now as accurate as I can ask a 10/22 to be short of doing any custom work. I think I spent about $500 all in.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have done it both ways. Built 1st one from scratch after winning a VQ carbon fiber barrel at a match. Actually bought a complete receiver, stripped and saved the parts, installed a Timney trigger I won at another match, bought a VQ CNC bolt from RSC in VA and bought a Magnum Research stock. 2nd one I bought a bare receiver, installed the parts I took from the first one after installing a VQ trigger kit in the trigger assembly, bought a TacSol alloy barrel and another MR stock, as this was my backup rifle. Then bought a complete rifle from DSG to built an iron sight rifle. Eventually replaced the bolt with a JWH CNC bolt, an aftermarket trigger, TacSol iron sight alloy barrel, and added a Blackhawk Axiom stock.
    To be honest I have had better and more reliable rifles starting from a receiver than starting with a complete rifle. Starting with a complete rifle as being cheaper is not actually the case UNLESS you plan on using a good bit of those factory parts. There is a glut of people selling stock parts so they are not worth a lot. A stripped receiver is still cheaper than a complete rifle. If you want to gradually get the rifle you want then start with a complete one. If you want it to be the best from day one, build it from scratch. YRMV

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Do it yourself. Warning: building these things is worse than crack. The second you're done your build you'll be thinking of what you want to do with the next one.......

May 13, 2005
    I bought a stock 10/22T, had the barrel shortened to 17" and recrowned, smoothed up the trigger a bit myself, put on a nice thumbhole stock I got from Ruger R&D as a gift, added a medium quality scope and bam. With Wolf match extra or Lapua ammo, it turned out to be a tack driver that kept up with everything else and placed tops at the 10X shoots. I bet I didn't have more than $525 into the whole thing, including scope and my time.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I bought a stock 10/22T, had the barrel shortened to 17" and recrowned, smoothed up the trigger a bit myself, put on a nice thumbhole stock I got from Ruger R&D as a gift, added a medium quality scope and bam. With Wolf match extra or Lapua ammo, it turned out to be a tack driver that kept up with everything else and placed tops at the 10X shoots. I bet I didn't have more than $525 into the whole thing, including scope and my time.

:needpics:
    :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do it yourself. Warning: building these things is worse than crack. The second you're done your build you'll be thinking of what you want to do with the next one.......

If that is true, what does that make AR-15s? Cause I've built 2.5 of them and I've only done minor work on my 10/22?

Granted I have mental plans for 2 different 10/22s, including a bare receiver and making a MP-5k "clone" from a 10/22.

But I think I've got about 8 different ideas for AR-15s (well, only if you include AR-10s)

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    If that is true, what does that make AR-15s? Cause I've built 2.5 of them and I've only done minor work on my 10/22?

Granted I have mental plans for 2 different 10/22s, including a bare receiver and making a MP-5k "clone" from a 10/22.

But I think I've got about 8 different ideas for AR-15s (well, only if you include AR-10s)

<shrug> I enjoy and build all of the above, but I thought this thread was about 10/22's?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Kalias brought up building a rifle from a bare reciever, so that cracked the door open.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I inherited my 10/22. It was a 90s model carbine with the wood stock. The only thing original on it now is the receiver.

I had a green mountain barrel on it for a bit but it was too heavy. I went with a whistle pig barrel, a kidd trigger kit, kid bolt, a boyds tacticool stock, and a PA 4-14X44. I can put 10 shots in a dime at 35yds.

I'd say go for a super cheap 10/22, strip it and build it back up into something more accurate.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I inherited my 10/22. It was a 90s model carbine with the wood stock. The only thing original on it now is the receiver.

I had a green mountain barrel on it for a bit but it was too heavy. I went with a whistle pig barrel, a kidd trigger kit, kid bolt, a boyds tacticool stock, and a PA 4-14X44. I can put 10 shots in a dime at 35yds.

I'd say go for a super cheap 10/22, strip it and build it back up into something more accurate.

What did you think of the whistle pig barrel? They're stuff certainly does *look* good, but I've never used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What did you think of the whistle pig barrel? They're stuff certainly does *look* good, but I've never used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's amazing. Reduces weight by over 1lb and is threaded 1/2X28.

install was a bit challenging and I don't think the barrel will be coming out ever. They make the shank slightly larger than the receiver. It comes with sandpaper so you can make it fit perfectly. Luckily for me the extractor cutout was aligned properly when I banged it in. I had to use a wood block and a hammer to coax it.

If I knew how to post pictures I'd show you my rig. My 10/22 is now more accurate than my Win 52 was. I can hit soda cans at 200yds easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom