• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I have on order a Ruger 10/22 Heavy Threaded barrel Takedown. This gun will primarily be shot suppressed and within 25-75yds. Looking for suggestions on an optic. I know my choices are Red Dot/Reflex or some sort of variable zoom. I am leaning towards a low power adjustable and just wanted some advice.

TIA

Adam M.

jwh2000

Jul 1, 2013
    Delaware
    Look at the Nikon prostaff rimfire on sale at Cabelas.
    I have heard that the take-down models don't go back to zero after they are put back together. (just what I have heard)

John

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The UTG Bug Buster is popular on the 10/22 Takedown, partly because it's decent quality that also fits in the 10/22 bag while still mounted.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bug+scope+10+22+takedown&*

I have one of these on my Takedown Target and I am quite happy with it. It's very nicely made for the price, and the body is short enough that it works well on the Takedown and fits in the bag when the rifle is disassembled, just like Jim said.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    And then a QD mount with 1" rings is the next decision.

If you go with the UTG Bugbuster, it actually comes with a set of fairly nice QD rings. I haven't ever needed to dismount mine, but if I did, throw two levers and that's it.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    FYI, I have both of the aforementioned optics potentially for sale soon, as I've just made a change on mine to a full sized glass - and a bigger case. Post on that to come. May keep the Bushnell TRS-25 for another rifle, but my UTG may be available. --JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    FYI, I have both of the aforementioned optics potentially for sale soon, as I've just made a change on mine to a full sized glass - and a bigger case. Post on that to come. May keep the Bushnell TRS-25 for another rifle, but my UTG may be available. --JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what 'bigger' case did you go with? I tried one aftermarket case and it was still too small for me to leave the scope attached. even with Leupold QD mounts it screws up my POI. Now I am looking at new magpul stock for the TD and it's even bigger.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    what 'bigger' case did you go with? I tried one aftermarket case and it was still too small for me to leave the scope attached. even with Leupold QD mounts it screws up my POI. Now I am looking at new magpul stock for the TD and it's even bigger.

Didn't wanna threadjack too much, so started a new thread on this with source here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=208473

Enjoy! --JB

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I ordered a UTG Bugbuster that will be here today. Next is the bolt release. What would you guys recommend? The stock one suuucks!!

I like KIDD for anything 10/22, but I have also used Volquartsen with success. there are probably others too but that's my limited experience. I built a 10/22 last year from only Kidd parts and it's awesome.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have a Kidd one on mine.

I ordered the Kidd bolt release, guide rod, mainspring, bolt handle, and bolt buffer and put them all in before I even shot it the first time. Good stuff for a good price.

CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Next is the bolt release. What would you guys recommend? The stock one suuucks!!

File the stock bolt release yourself for free. I wasn't a fan of the ergonomics of the Kidd one.

Here’s the home-file-mod for your annoying bolt release.

Not 10/22 related, but the guy's wife from the above video one may have been one reason I bought my 930:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Look at the Nikon prostaff rimfire on sale at Cabelas.
    I have heard that the take-down models don't go back to zero after they are put back together. (just what I have heard)

John

I used mine to shoot Rifleman at Appleseed. It was rock solid for at least 3 months of regular practice as well. The only thing I do is periodically tighten the tension collar a click or two, but I have never had a problem with it not returning to zero.

I ordered a UTG Bugbuster that will be here today. Next is the bolt release. What would you guys recommend? The stock one suuucks!!

I've seen many websites sell basically the same thing. You can file it yourself as well. I think I got mine for less than $10, but anyone could easily do it in 5 minutes with a file.

Lots of people talk about getting an extended mag release but I'm still baffled as to how someone could miss the stock release.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have never had a problem with it not returning to zero.

I've only had mine out four or five times, but it returns to zero just fine for me as well. I do wonder if maybe the people complaining about it don't have the tension collar tight enough. I do have mine tightened well past what Ruger says in the manual.

Lots of people talk about getting an extended mag release but I'm still baffled as to how someone could miss the stock release.

Me too. And some of those extended ones are so huge I'd actually worry about dropping the magazine by accident.

amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I finally got a chance to shoot my 10/22 TD Heavy Barrel. I shot it suppressed with both standard velocity and CCI Quiets. No appreciable difference in sound. The Quiets did not cycle the action but the Standards did. It is funny how loud the bolt slap is compared to the muzzle report, which is louder than my bolt gun, but is still quite discreet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom