• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ah, ok, that makes more sense than a blanket CCI long rifle statement. I haven't shot 22 in a while so I will have to Google it to find the difference. Thanks

Stingers have slightly longer brass and wont fit into a match chamber

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Correct. The Performance Center 15-22 has a tighter Bentz chamber than the regular model 15-22. Its not as forgiving about things like Stingers. If you want to shoot hotter rounds at longer distance you really want the Velocitors not the Stingers. Velocitors carry more energy past 100 yards than Stingers, plus even the HP round is a full 40g.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    I have a S&W 15-22 and it has been a simply fantastic rifle.

Accurate (enough), reliable, and a good practice gun for a "real" AR because the manual of arms is exactly the same. I've put several thousand rounds of mostly CCI Standards through it and it has never hiccuped once.

Exactly my experience as well. I modded mine with a better trigger and it works flawlessly. Red dot on mine and it's almost unfair how accurate it is. One of my favorite guns.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Stingers have slightly longer brass and wont fit into a match chamber

Oddly, I thought the camo 15-22 was a standard one, but all the stuff I Googled is saying it has a match grade barrel.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/715000697

Two-Position Receiver Mounted Safety Lever
    Functioning Charging Handle
    Bolt Catch
    Recessed Magazine Release
    Ambidextrous Load-Assist Button
    Match Grade Precision Barrel
    Lightweight, High Strength Polymer Upper and Lower Receiver with Integral Steel Inserts
    Lightweight, High-Strength Polymer Quad Rail Handguard

https://www.ammoland.com/2011/11/sm...available-in-realtree-apg-camo/#axzz4qcQGcfLj

http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/...el-m-p-15-22-realtree-apg-hd-camo-22lr-811046

https://www.impactguns.com/sw-mp15-22-22lr-realtree-apg-hd-camo-811046-022188145724.aspx

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Stopped by my buddy's place in Shrewsbury yesterday. Got 1 FDE mag. Waiting on the other 3 to arrive.

Attachments

• 20170825_180841.jpg
      20170825_180841.jpg
      105.2 KB · Views: 402

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I bought one several years back for my son... it's chewed through everything. Winchester Wildcat, Remington of several flavors, CCI mini mag and standard velocity... I think I even put Green Tag through it. No glitches...

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My wife got me a Dagger Defense matching red dot for it. Put the TruGlo on the other 15-22 my daughter uses. Not spending a fortune on these, but the dot looks good, and I hope can sustain the awesome power of 22 rimfire.

Attachments

• smith and wesson DD red dot.jpg
      smith and wesson DD red dot.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 376
    • green dot.jpg
      green dot.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 370
    • red dot.jpg
      red dot.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 371

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Blow out

I have been running my S & W 15-22 for years. Thousands of rounds, shoots anything. Gis. trigger. Two weeks ago I had a CCI Standard round blow out the side, blow the extractor clean out of the gun. Never found the parts. No injury. I e-mailed S & W, they assigned a case number and indicated that they would send replacement parts, but there was a 4-6 weeks back order for them. I thought that the extractor, which hinges on a detent/spring set up, had either fallen out or worked loose. maybe worn or broken spring on the detent. When I get the parts I will put it together and shoot it again. Very good little practice gun. I might suggest if one has heavy use, like mine, to replace the extractor parts occassionally, to head off the problem. The .22 case blew in two, so if anyone had been standing next to me they might gotten a piece of hot brass.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I have been running my S & W 15-22 for years. Thousands of rounds, shoots anything. Gis. trigger. Two weeks ago I had a CCI Standard round blow out the side, blow the extractor clean out of the gun. Never found the parts. No injury. I e-mailed S & W, they assigned a case number and indicated that they would send replacement parts, but there was a 4-6 weeks back order for them. I thought that the extractor, which hinges on a detent/spring set up, had either fallen out or worked loose. maybe worn or broken spring on the detent. When I get the parts I will put it together and shoot it again. Very good little practice gun. I might suggest if one has heavy use, like mine, to replace the extractor parts occassionally, to head off the problem. The .22 case blew in two, so if anyone had been standing next to me they might gotten a piece of hot brass.

Sounds like you had an Out Of Battery (OOB) discharge.

If you read the first post of this thread he mentions the Appleseed ban on 15-22s for these types of failures. Plenty of videos showing you can pull the CH back a little and it will still drop the hammer.

Not sure replacing extractors was your issue. I wonder if it was so dirty the bolt never completely closed and then BOOM! I guess bad ammo can cause it too if they don't fully seat either. Dunno, lots of people were upset that it was banned.

Glad you are ok. Reminds me I need to clean mine, its been a while since I took it apart.

mtbiker

Dec 31, 2016
    SoMd

Same thing just happened to mine. I found the Extractor and spring, but the detent is no where to be found.
    Do you still have the email you used to contact S&W? I've been looking all over their website but can't find the email for customer service. Their phone system just puts me in a loop as well. I believe they may be on vacation.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD

Not to be a pain, but what exact parts do you recommend ordering just to have in case. I’ve had a 15-22 for several years and put maybe 2k thru it with zero issues. I’d like to be prepared though as my kids love this little rifle

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sounds like you had an Out Of Battery (OOB) discharge.

If you read the first post of this thread he mentions the Appleseed ban on 15-22s for these types of failures. Plenty of videos showing you can pull the CH back a little and it will still drop the hammer.

Was there ever any resolution to this?

I mean it has been several years. Has anyone figured out why it is happening? And how to fix it?

Sirex