• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I was looking into the 15-22, and I have heard it was banned from Appleseed competition due to a couple incidents. I did Google it, and just come up with results discussing it's ban, and speculated causes. Does anyone know if Smith and Wesson have concluded what the issues were, and if they have been addressed on new rifles? I know the issues could be the rifle itself malfunctioning, due to a defect, or, in a competition setting, modifications made to the rifle by the user. I am debating on whether to get a 15-22, or just getting a dedicated 22 AR upper. The 15-22 is a nice, dedicated rifle, but the upper wouldn't require FFL hassle. Both are around the same price. Just wondering if anyone knows anything regarding the situation? Thanks in advance.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am not very happy with my M&P 15-22, its not very accurate, crappy trigger, and a jamomatic. I bought it for low cost AR practice and don't even take it out anymore.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Love mine for low cost practice. They seem to be having issues recently, but mine has been great since day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I am not very happy with my M&P 15-22, its not very accurate, crappy trigger, and a jamomatic. I bought it for low cost AR practice and don't even take it out anymore.

Contact Smith and Wesson. Open a case. They will suggest different ammo, try it, and report back. Mine was sent back, and was returned is 100% working order. It now runs everything I feed it.

Don't just moan and complain, do something about it..... :thumbsup:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So, I was looking into the 15-22, and I have heard it was banned from Appleseed competition due to a couple incidents. I did Google it, and just come up with results discussing it's ban, and speculated causes. Does anyone know if Smith and Wesson have concluded what the issues were, and if they have been addressed on new rifles? I know the issues could be the rifle itself malfunctioning, due to a defect, or, in a competition setting, modifications made to the rifle by the user. I am debating on whether to get a 15-22, or just getting a dedicated 22 AR upper. The 15-22 is a nice, dedicated rifle, but the upper wouldn't require FFL hassle. Both are around the same price. Just wondering if anyone knows anything regarding the situation? Thanks in advance.

Either will work. However, do NOT do the .22 conversion of an existing upper. You will just wear you barrel out. If you want my opinion, do the 15-22. Had some issues with mine at first, sent it back got it fixed now runs everything I feed it......

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Mine runs fine, ate all the federal, winchester, and cci I tried, all ammo was over 1000 fps though.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Either will work. However, do NOT do the .22 conversion of an existing upper. You will just wear you barrel out. If you want my opinion, do the 15-22. Had some issues with mine at first, sent it back got it fixed now runs everything I feed it......

No, I am not doing a drop in. I would do an entire .22lr upper, designed for .22 rimfire specifically. I real about the different twist rates, gunking up the gas port, and leading the barrels. It would save space in the safe as well, but I kinda thought the 15-22 was kinda neat. Most reviews were good, just commenting how light and how much plastic is used. I was also looking at the .22 Colt M4, but it looks like an airsoft/.22lr hybrid. Built by Walther/Umarex w/ Colt's license to use their name. Warranty would be my worry. S&W has a lifetime.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.

Many owners have had a problem with the ejector not lined up right. If that is what's causing the jams and you don't want to bend it upwards yourself, let S&W make it right.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is out of the manual.

Attachments

• smith.JPG
      smith.JPG
      119.8 KB · Views: 2,074

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am surprised I have not heard anything about an issue or fix based on the Appleseed prohibition.

Or even a denial of an issue.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have a S&W 15-22 and it has been a simply fantastic rifle.

Accurate (enough), reliable, and a good practice gun for a "real" AR because the manual of arms is exactly the same. I've put several thousand rounds of mostly CCI Standards through it and it has never hiccuped once.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Mine works fine. I have even run it (tho not recommended) with a bump stock.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    OP - What do you want to do with your 22 setup?

Although I have a 15-22 and it has been great, I bought it before my suppressor craze and before the pistol brace craze. Right now, if I had to do it all over again I would build a custom 22LR upper with the CMMG 22LR 4.5" barrel. Then I could use a normal AR pistol lower with the MP15-22 mag adapter ($40). And I could shoot bulk 22 ammo it would still be subsonic.

My 15-22 started off rocky, but my fault. I immediately installed a Rock River 2 stage trigger and had issues with light strikes. I went back to a stock hammer spring and it was good, except for Win 555 bulk that sucked. I am up to 600 rounds and no issues in the last 300 rounds (And again, not the guns fault, my mods and bad ammo).

If you want a factory supported 16" AR-style plinker, the 15-22 is a great option. If you want a suppressor down the road, then maybe build an AR pistol.

I just got my 15-22 back from barrel threading and shot 20 rounds of CCI SV. Worked like a charm! This thing is great in terms of cheap practice with the AR manual of arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom