• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    It'll have to be a hell of a lot of panic buying. The big guys have all finally increased production and so many of us have stocks to last a lifetime or more. Mine isn't that big, but I am pretty sure I am in the 6k round range. If/when life settles down a little I'll shoot more and my son is just starting out. Call it 1k a year maybe. Probably more like 600rnds a year right now. So 6 years maybe. Possibly 10. Unless I own a place I can shoot at I doubt even if I can get my wife and all 3 kids in to it we'd be shooting more than 3k a year. So that 6k could go fast then.

But realistically I could not buy a single round of 22lr, 7.62/.308 or 5.56/.223 and I'd have plinking stocks for at least 3-4 years of at least once a month range trips.

I might need a hunting ammo a little sooner than that if I was using it for plinking too.

It won't stop me from stocking up some more when I find some awesome deals. On the other hand prices seem to be coming down all across the market from rimfire to centerfire to shot shells. So since I've got a lot of stocks I'll hold off till prices get even better before I buy anything. Until then I'll try to avoid waking by the ammo counter at Walmart and impulse buying a few boxes of CCI SV

I recently sold 3/4 of my cci sv lol, it just bored me to shoot. I see what youre saying though, I continue to buy a brick here and there as well as centerfire when I see a good deal.

I don't shoot much anymore but I feel like ammo is always a decent investment and I will never be caught with my pants down like I was in 2013 with zero ammo to shoot at all.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    It'll have to be a hell of a lot of panic buying. The big guys have all finally increased production and so many of us have stocks to last a lifetime or more. Mine isn't that big, but I am pretty sure I am in the 6k round range. If/when life settles down a little I'll shoot more and my son is just starting out. Call it 1k a year maybe. Probably more like 600rnds a year right now. So 6 years maybe. Possibly 10. Unless I own a place I can shoot at I doubt even if I can get my wife and all 3 kids in to it we'd be shooting more than 3k a year. So that 6k could go fast then.

But realistically I could not buy a single round of 22lr, 7.62/.308 or 5.56/.223 and I'd have plinking stocks for at least 3-4 years of at least once a month range trips.

I might need a hunting ammo a little sooner than that if I was using it for plinking too.

It won't stop me from stocking up some more when I find some awesome deals. On the other hand prices seem to be coming down all across the market from rimfire to centerfire to shot shells. So since I've got a lot of stocks I'll hold off till prices get even better before I buy anything. Until then I'll try to avoid waking by the ammo counter at Walmart and impulse buying a few boxes of CCI SV

even if there is some kind of panic buying again all of the major manufacturers are caught up and ramped up again...there was too much backlash against empty shevles. I have some contacts at the major makers of stuff and they are ready to supply for a long time.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The Dick's in St Mary's county had a bunch of Eley Target on sale for $6 a box. Not sure if that's even a good price, cause I don't know Eley very well. It was sitting in a tub on a clearance table in the camo clothing section. Not behind the gun counter

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    The Dick's in St Mary's county had a bunch of Eley Target on sale for $6 a box. Not sure if that's even a good price, cause I don't know Eley very well. It was sitting in a tub on a clearance table in the camo clothing section. Not behind the gun counter

$6 for a box of 50 = $.12/round. My 10/22 loves the stuff and at 50 yards it is much more accurate than, for example, mini-mags.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

As mentioned, its accurate stuff.
    Reduced the groups by half (mostly be eliminating flyers) with my bolt 22.
    $6/box is about what I paid 4 years ago for what I still have in my inventory.
    It was slightly better than CCI SV Green Tag also.
    They have an orange version (match I think) which was no noticable difference in my gun than the yellow. It reduced group size in my friends 10/22 also compared to minimags or SV

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    They have an orange version (match I think) which was no noticable difference in my gun than the yellow. It reduced group size in my friends 10/22 also compared to minimags or SV
    Thanks for this. I'd seen the "match grade" but I was unsure of it's quality.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I guy at the club yesterday had 2 boxes of Eley club and Eley target. One box of each had the Remington label on them while the other must have been older and had no Remington markings. When did Remington acquire the label and did they screw with the ammo? I told him to shoot for groups with each and see what the results were. I could not stick around to watch though...

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011

I practice with Eley Target (yellow box) in an Anschutz M54 prone rifle. I usually pay $6/box plus shipping. For matches, I was using Eley Club (orange box) but practically, there not much difference in my match gun. For me, I have to go up to Eley Match Black ($10.50/box) before I see any difference. Realistically, I'm not that good of a shooter... I'm not going to the Olympics anytime soon... but, that said, some people just like to shoot the best.

FunInMD

Jul 18, 2015
    Forest Hill Walmart had plenty of CCI, goldenbullets, and auto match today. Maybe a few others. First time I saw that much there.

And prices seem to be falling too. Heard the guys behind the counter say the automatch dropped a few bucks. Was labeled as $17 something but they mentioned it was ringing up as $13 or $14 something.

I think the federal .223 came down too. From $37 to $34.

Interesting. Good time to stack it deep.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    even if there is some kind of panic buying again all of the major manufacturers are caught up and ramped up again...there was too much backlash against empty shevles. I have some contacts at the major makers of stuff and they are ready to supply for a long time.

This will not stop the scalpers from clearing the shelves at the first hint of ammo issues. They are as greedy as the freaking tax greedy entitlement liberal Democrats.

On a lighter note, I did manage to buy two boxes of the new 550 Federal packs. Load number 790. I did a search on it and didn't find anything out. Too new a package number, I guess. I'll email Federal eventually.

Has anyone tried the latest boxes of Winchester Super-X 22LR ammo and notice improvements in the misfire category?

FunInMD

Jul 18, 2015
    I used a recent box of 100 Win superx in my new Ruger mark4. Out of 100, there was one where the crimp was messed and jammed in the barrel and another FTF (even after rotating the rim and trying again). Not overly impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom