• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone had any experience with it? It was significantly more expensive than the run-of the mill Winchester and Remington .22LR HPs. I grabbed a box of 100 just to give it a shot, but didn't know if it was any better at that price. Anyone had any experience with it?

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Anyone had any experience with it? It was significantly more expensive than the run-of the mill Winchester and Remington .22LR HPs. I grabbed a box of 100 just to give it a shot, but didn't know if it was any better at that price. Anyone had any experience with it?

IIRC it is just rebranded Winchester ammo. I think they are selling it with the buckmark for brand recognition. Don't see why it would cause any more/less issues than regular Winchester HPs.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    IIRC it is just rebranded Winchester ammo. I think they are selling it with the buckmark for brand recognition. Don't see why it would cause any more/less issues than regular Winchester HPs.

Looks a little better finished than the typical copper washed HPs from Winchester, I'll give it that. Will have to see how it goes with squirrels and whistle pigs this fall.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I have a friend that is using it. He reports some bullets are lose in the case. Lose crimping I guess. Those always impact 2+" low. Overall he's been happy with it. It's done the job on groundhogs for him.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Funny that when I do shoot my .22s, I always grab the CCI. The Win. and Rem. I have just sits. I have a lot of that bulk stuff and I never use it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks a little better finished than the typical copper washed HPs from Winchester, I'll give it that. Will have to see how it goes with squirrels and whistle pigs this fall.

I haven't tried the hunting ammo. Right after they released it I bought a box of their hypervelocity offering. Half the bullets were super loose in the casing. Like I could basically yank them out by hand. They grouped about 4-5" at 50yds compared to just over an inch of minimags and an inch and a half for velocitors.

Might have just been a box from an early bad batch, but absolutely the worst ammo I've tried so far.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Funny that when I do shoot my .22s, I always grab the CCI. The Win. and Rem. I have just sits. I have a lot of that bulk stuff and I never use it.

As prices have relaxed more I kind of feel that way too. I mean, I just don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like. A long range trip might be 300rnds of 22lr. $15 on cheap plinking of $20 for some minimags. $5 for something that shoots better just isn't going to break the bank for me 4-5 times a year.

That said, federal CPHP HV bulk ammo in the 325 and 550rnd boxes seems to shoot reasonably accurately and feeds well. So when I can find that stuff I'll buy it. Aguila shoots well out of my 10/22. Federal automatch is meh. Not bad, but just not as accurate with higher rate of stove pipes or failures to feed than minimags.

That said, I've only got about 900rnds of minimags, 1200rnds of aguila ESV and match, 300 of velocitor (which also shoots great), 800 or so of the federal HV CPHP bulk, about 2000rnds of miscellaneous SV and HV ammo and about 2500rnds of federal automatch.

My plan is to steadily focus on just CCI, Aguila super extra and match (shoot the best in my 10/22) and federal CPHP bulk.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I sight all my 22's in for Mini Mags so when accuracy counts...
    for practice I use whatever cycles the gun. I am burning through the Winchester stuff, misfire city with the 333, 555 and SuperX. From multiple hits around the rim no less and with multiple guns. I can't believe the SX is doing that. Winchester has been like this ever since the craze.

What I can't get over is the way my semi auto guns have been doing with the Thunderbolt. I swore that stuff off but had a choice of it or nothing during the 22 shortage. So I humble pie'd it and it was shooting grouos, reliable and decent accuracy - from different lots. A soft report once in awhile.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I've had terrible luck with Winchester (or it is just terrible). I've only been shooting s few years though. The two times I've bought it, a box of 555 and a box of super X about 1:50 was a complete dud and 1:20 would need a 2nd primer strike to set them off. Bad accuracy and higher levels of failure to feeds and stove pipes. That was out of my Mossberg plinkster. I used it up before I got a 10/22. It was the only ammo that failed to feed or stove piped in that gun.

Other ammo between that plinkster and the 10/22 I've had duds, but I've maybe had 3 complete duds in 2000 rounds of other stuff between the two guns. I've had maybe 3 or 4 other rounds that took a 2nd hammer strike. That Winchester stuff between about 650 rounds I had about a dozen complete duds and probably 20-30 needing a 2nd hammer strike.

Maybe I'll try it again in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom