• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In researching it was the same bs about modifying a carry gun, that if it was used for self defense a attorney would use it against you. I also read that some states would seize the weapon due to no serial # and that they shouldn’t be taken out of home state? Those are probably states that I’m not legal to carry anyways.

I often wonder what would happen if I was pulled over while transporting a firearm in MD on the way to VA where I’m legal to carry. The chances are slim as I’m a law abiding citizen and I typically have the loaded mag locked in the glove box until I reach the legal state.

Is the firearm also stowed per maryland handgun transportation law? IE in an enclosed case or holster?

Yes, I realize we are touching on FOPA here, but per FOPA the firearm cannot be easily accessible. So it needs to be in the trunk or in a locked container and the ammunition seperated from it if you want a prayer of FOPA covering you.

Maryland law you can only legally transport between your residences or your business. Of course the few other standard exceptions, and FOPA doesn’t really cover you in your originating and destination states. Other than MD probably can’t tell you, you can’t transport a handgun Out of the state even if you aren’t transporting it out for a non-MD approved reason. But you’d at a minimum still need to comply with MD transportation laws otherwise.

Just my 2 cents.

Only reason carrying an 80% out of state might be a bad idea is if the state you were carrying it in required all firearms to be serialized and registered. Not that I think you are getting an out of state permit in CA...but CA now requires registration and serializing of 80%s...I wouldn’t want to be the test case of being an out of state resident with one in CA.

Fortunately most states where it is constitutional carry, open carry of a handgun legal or you can get an out of state permit are just as relaxed as MD on guns you build yourself (no requirements).

PYR

Feb 17, 2018
    Is the firearm also stowed per maryland handgun transportation law? IE in an enclosed case or holster?

Yes, I realize we are touching on FOPA here, but per FOPA the firearm cannot be easily accessible. So it needs to be in the trunk or in a locked container and the ammunition seperated from it if you want a prayer of FOPA covering you.

Maryland law you can only legally transport between your residences or your business. Of course the few other standard exceptions, and FOPA doesn’t really cover you in your originating and destination states. Other than MD probably can’t tell you, you can’t transport a handgun Out of the state even if you aren’t transporting it out for a non-MD approved reason. But you’d at a minimum still need to comply with MD transportation laws otherwise.

Just my 2 cents.

Only reason carrying an 80% out of state might be a bad idea is if the state you were carrying it in required all firearms to be serialized and registered. Not that I think you are getting an out of state permit in CA...but CA now requires registration and serializing of 80%s...I wouldn’t want to be the test case of being an out of state resident with one in CA.

Fortunately most states where it is constitutional carry, open carry of a handgun legal or you can get an out of state permit are just as relaxed as MD on guns you build yourself (no requirements).

Good info, thanks, I drive a pickup, so I’ve always locked the mag up in glove department, gun in case in console locked up. In order for me to obtain I would need to park truck, key out of ignition, unlock console, unlock glove dept, pull gun out of case.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good info, thanks, I drive a pickup, so I’ve always locked the mag up in glove department, gun in case in console locked up. In order for me to obtain I would need to park truck, key out of ignition, unlock console, unlock glove dept, pull gun out of case.

That’s probably as good as it can get for a pickup. Absolutely complying with the spirit of the law (and probably the letter too)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...and I typically have the loaded mag locked in the glove box until I reach the legal state.

Don't keep your registration in the glove box, then.

If a LEO sees the magazine while you get the registration, it could complicate the traffic stop.

PYR

Feb 17, 2018
    That’s probably as good as it can get for a pickup. Absolutely complying with the spirit of the law (and probably the letter too)

Hopefully nothing ever goes down or I’ll be murder. Bright side then I’ll be able to get a ccw in md then.

If a LEO sees the magazine while you get the registration, it could complicate the traffic stop.

Good info, didn’t think about that all though the chances of a single officer on drivers side seeing it would be highly unlikely, if there are two then the heat is already being brought lol

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Kind of a side track...but I'll offer this up, as I think it's a pretty good idea:

I put one of these under the seat of my Jeep:

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-285-tuffy-tj-lj-conceal-carry-security-drawer-no-flip-seat.aspx

Despite what the picture shows, I do not put a firearm in it. Instead, that's where I keep my vehicle documentation, as well as a few non-threatening valuables.
    It's a pain in the butt get into, even with the key :o and I like that. :D I've had it in there for almost 10 years, and never had to go into it to show my papers to a LEO. Mostly, I just open it to update the documents. By securing them out of the way, I am free to cram whatever I want into more accessible compartments, like the console or glove box, without damaging the important documents or exposing anything else while presenting them.

Just a thought:innocent0

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The answer is in the posts above. No. To own a handgun you have to be 21 years old.

To own a handgun in Maryland. Just to be clear. Some states it is legal at 18, but federally you cant buy a handgun from a federal firearm licenses unless you are 21.

But under Maryland law you can’t own a handgun until you are 21.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Good info, didn’t think about that all though the chances of a single officer on drivers side seeing it would be highly unlikely, if there are two then the heat is already being brought lol

Believe me, when you reach into the glove box, the officer is observing very, very closely. If there is a pistol magazine, or a crack pipe, or a roach clip, you should count on it being seen.

According to one Deputy I talked to, that's a major reason they ask to see your registration.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A person 18-20yo could build a polymer80 , and use it with a Mectech unit to make a rifle .

But for a presumed handgun use, no .

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I believe the yoot saw he was to young to possess a pistol. And got paranoid about the po po finding out in a open forum. Just my thoughts!

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I believe the yoot saw he was to young to possess a pistol. And got paranoid about the po po finding out in a open forum. Just my thoughts!

It's odd that not one, but two, separate "yoots" join just to ask questions, in the same thread, specifically about so-called "ghost guns"...

Sad that we should even have to be suspicious of new members, but 100% necessary IMO...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A person 18-20yo could build a polymer80 , and use it with a Mectech unit to make a rifle .

But for a presumed handgun use, no .

I wouldn’t. You’d likely have to go through convolutions to ensure it couldn’t be legally considered a pistol at any step. An AR-15 80% is basically going to be a firearm until you attach whatever buffer tube you are using. On the other hand a Glock 80% once milled is basically going to be a pistol lower receiver.

Now it might be okay, but now it sounds way more like you need to be consulting the ATF technical division. I’d just go with “don’t do it” if you are under 21. A zillion and one other firearms you can own or build when you are 18-20 that don’t have a chance of landing you under indictment or in prison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom