• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBear

Jan 11, 2017
    So I just bought my first handgun within MD and the clerk said that I needed to register it with the county within the first 48 hours of ownership. I have not read anything that states this. Is this accurate or was the guy blowing smoke? I have already completed the 77R and picked up the handgun.

Can anyone shed some light?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Ha ha! What nonsense!

Don't sweat it.

The State enters your Form 77r in the Database of Transfers. That IS the registration.

That's what you waited 7 days for.

The courier takes the forms to Pikesville on horseback. There the Scrivener records the information on a parchment roll, using a quill pen. Then the courier returns the forms to the dealer, riding a fresh horse.

That's the reason for the 7 day wait.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I know you said you were military earlier, did he maybe mean you need to register it with the Provost Marshal or something like that? I know a lot of bases require their personnel to register private weapons with the PMO.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Maryland has preemption laws over regulated firearms...the counties can't pile on regulations beyond what the state provides as far as registration goes...not that Baltimore City hasn't wanted to do away with state preemption as well as Montgomery County.

TheBear

Jan 11, 2017
    What county is this? And what store?

The BX on Andrews. They just started selling. Kind of why I was figuring it was just smoke but wanted to be 100 percent certain.

I know you said you were military earlier, did he maybe mean you need to register it with the Provost Marshal or something like that? I know a lot of bases require their personnel to register private weapons with the PMO.

I thought this also. Like the guy had his wires crossed and was talking about registering the weapon with the base armory if I resided on base.

OP,
    Please tell us where this was.

The Andrews BX

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Ha ha! What nonsense!

Don't sweat it.

The State enters your Form 77r in the Database of Transfers. That IS the registration.

The courier takes the forms to Pikesville on horseback. There the Scrivener records the information on a parchment roll, using a quill pen. Then the courier returns the forms to the dealer, riding a fresh horse.

You forgot to mention, that we had to get the Lordships approval, before they send the courier back with the na or not na.
    :sad20:

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    If you live on the installation, you have to take it immediately to your house on base. If you live in the Dorms or barracks, then you must take it to the Security Forces Armory for storage. If you live off base you have to immediately take it off the installation. You can call the Security Forces Law Enforcement Desk and ask them what the installation's regulation states. I believe it pertains to Firearms only, they told be when I bought some ammo I had to take the ammo off the installation since I live in Waldorf. They have a manager there I don't think is re-experienced or familiar with the installation regulations.

Last edited:

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Ha ha! What nonsense!

Don't sweat it.

Now that's funny!

Just wait until we have to ask approval from the Lordship to buy ball and powder.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If you live on the installation, you have to take it immediately to your house on base. If you live in the Dorms or barracks, then you must take it to the Security Forces Armory for storage. If you live off base you have to immediately take it off the installation. You can call the Security Forces Law Enforcement Desk and ask them what the installation's regulation states. I believe it pertains to Firearms only...

That's the way it worked when I was active duty, back when dinosaurs walked the earth and the Cold War was raging. As soon as we arrived and were settled into base housing I registered my "arsenal" with the (then) SPs. Of course, there was a form for that, so it was quick and easy. :party29:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    That's the way it worked when I was active duty, back when dinosaurs walked the earth and the Cold War was raging. As soon as we arrived and were settled into base housing I registered my "arsenal" with the (then) SPs. Of course, there was a form for that, so it was quick and easy. :party29:

Except you had to hurry up and wait in line to get said form... :innocent0

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Funny, but remember, when the law was enacted, the forms went by mail. There were not even fax machines back then.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Funny, but remember, when the law was enacted, the forms went by mail. There were not even fax machines back then.

When was the law enacted?

The first commercial telefax Service was between Paris and Lyon in 1865...

First desktop fax machines were introduced in 1948

Introduction of fax over telephone was 1964 and by the late 1970s fax machines were pretty wide spread. Certainly among government agencies and large businesses.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1967-68

Faxes may have been invented, but were not in common use.

And remember, as shop you could buy a fax machine, but until MSP got one, it did not help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom