New hunter here in MD, looking for advice..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    Hi, I am new to the site and excited to be here. I grew up in Alabama hunting small game, mostly rabbits and squirrels but never hunted Deer and Waterfowl. I grew up around deer hunters but didn't have a male figure in my life to actually take me. I am really excited to do both here in Maryland but basically have no knowledge of the best way to get into this. I am looking for any advice you might give as well as where I can begin to look for places to hunt.

I have been looking for leases but I am only gonna be hunting every couple weekends so the ones I have found have been very expensive for me. This seems to be my biggest hurdle. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

TIA

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It would help to identify the general location in Maryland that you are looking to hunt in.

Maryland has public lands you can hunt on, but private lands require written permission. Living in Maryland is expensive, get used to the sticker shock.

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    It would help to identify the general location in Maryland that you are looking to hunt in.

Maryland has public lands you can hunt on, but private lands require written permission. Living in Maryland is expensive, get used to the sticker shock.

I live in Annapolis so I guess the answer is the Eastern Shore but I am willing to drive a 2-3 hours any direction. Like I said I cant go every weekend or even every other weekend.

Lived here for a few years so used the the high prices just didn't expect it to be quite what I am seeing.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    For limited time your best bet is going to be an outfitter. Try Pintail Point or Schrader's. Not cheap, but if you're only able to hunt a couple of days, it's workable. Also, great way to learn from knowledgeable people.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    For limited time your best bet is going to be an outfitter. Try Pintail Point or Schrader's. Not cheap, but if you're only able to hunt a couple of days, it's workable. Also, great way to learn from knowledgeable people.

Thanks for the recommendation. These arent places that have feeder that the deer just walk up to right? Just making sure as that is not something I am into.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Thanks for the recommendation. These arent places that have feeder that the deer just walk up to right? Just making sure as that is not something I am into.
    Negative, both lease thousands of acres of quality hunting property and run quality outfits. Deer, waterfowl, upland game (ok, upland are pen raised). Both have quality Sporting Clays ranges too.
    Schrader's runs packages of half day hunts and Sporting Clays.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    For small game you can check out the WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) or State forest like Greenridge. I don't/won't hunt in Greenridge for deer as it is too crowded with inexperienced and sometimes dangerous hunters in numbers that aren't spread out enough (so-called pumpkin patch phenomenon where so much blaze can be seen around you it looks like a pumpkin patch). That is especially dangerous in rifle hunting areas where it may be difficult or even impossible to 'shoot in a safe direction'. Many on this site can likely tell you stories. However, small game hunting isn't nearly as widespread and popular. Sometimes an opening day can be crowded, but most other times you will see a few other hunters....or in late season, perhaps very few or none. Also, when people are hunting small game with shotguns, the dangerous range of the gun is very limited as opposed to the dangerous range of a rifle.

For deer, you would be best to be on a lease unless someone you know who hunts can put you onto a honey-hole that is lightly hunted. For waterfowl, you'll have to speak to someone who can either point you to a good lease (waterfowling is very fun, but leases are very, very expensive) or someone who can show you the ropes on how to gain use of public hunting areas.

Presuming you may have received Hunter's Safety training in Alabama, make sure you have a card handy when you get your license. However, if you have only hunted on your family's land without Hunter's Safety...or somehow have not had to take it in the past, now is the time to get your Hunter's Safety out of the way....before you get into Hunting Season. My club, Stoney Creek has a course coming up next week (starts on June 19th). 16 spots of 80 total are still available as off 2:30 today. To find a course, go out to Maryland DNR website ( http://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/default.aspx) , select the Hunting tab, then Hunter Education then Course offerings. You can take the Internet course which also requires scheduling a field day, or a traditional class. The traditional class usually happens over 2 or 3 or more days depending on where offered. (Stoney Creek is Mon, Thurs, and Saturday....all in the same week). You schedule your training online, but if you do the Internet course, you will need the voucher number for that course before scheduling the Field Day and written test.

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    For small game you can check out the WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) or State forest like Greenridge. I don't/won't hunt in Greenridge for deer as it is too crowded with inexperienced and sometimes dangerous hunters in numbers that aren't spread out enough (so-called pumpkin patch phenomenon where so much blaze can be seen around you it looks like a pumpkin patch). That is especially dangerous in rifle hunting areas where it may be difficult or even impossible to 'shoot in a safe direction'. Many on this site can likely tell you stories. However, small game hunting isn't nearly as widespread and popular. Sometimes an opening day can be crowded, but most other times you will see a few other hunters....or in late season, perhaps very few or none. Also, when people are hunting small game with shotguns, the dangerous range of the gun is very limited as opposed to the dangerous range of a rifle.

For deer, you would be best to be on a lease unless someone you know who hunts can put you onto a honey-hole that is lightly hunted. For waterfowl, you'll have to speak to someone who can either point you to a good lease (waterfowling is very fun, but leases are very, very expensive) or someone who can show you the ropes on how to gain use of public hunting areas.

Presuming you may have received Hunter's Safety training in Alabama, make sure you have a card handy when you get your license. However, if you have only hunted on your family's land without Hunter's Safety...or somehow have not had to take it in the past, now is the time to get your Hunter's Safety out of the way....before you get into Hunting Season. My club, Stoney Creek has a course coming up next week (starts on June 19th). 16 spots of 80 total are still available as off 2:30 today. To find a course, go out to Maryland DNR website ( http://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/default.aspx) , select the Hunting tab, then Hunter Education then Course offerings. You can take the Internet course which also requires scheduling a field day, or a traditional class. The traditional class usually happens over 2 or 3 or more days depending on where offered. (Stoney Creek is Mon, Thurs, and Saturday....all in the same week). You schedule your training online, but if you do the Internet course, you will need the voucher number for that course before scheduling the Field Day and written test.

Wow thanks for such an informative response, I have my field day scheduled for this Saturday so after that I will be ready to go less a spot to hunt. Waterfowl really looks fun, I may try one of the places listed above and see if I can get someone there to teach me the nuances of it. Thanks again

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 395

deerslayer

Dec 1, 2014
    Deerslayer

I have an unbelievable property (300 ac.) that is loaded with deer and turkey outside of Denton which is about 30 minutes from Annapolis. I lease this with three other guys who only hunt on occasion. I have never seen a property as rich in deer (many huge bucks) as this property. I do not run this as a hunt club but common sense rules do apply. I may be losing one guy due to financial problems but not sure yet. It's not cheap but not to expensive. Pm me for details.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depending on what your time looks like this fall I don't mind showing you some of the ropes on public land (all I hunt, except for a couple of invitations I've had to private land).

Two years in to hunting deer, two on public land one on private. I can't say I know everything there is to on deer hunting, but I've got all the basics down. I also know a big swath of Patuxent state park down (where I mostly hunt).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have an unbelievable property (300 ac.) that is loaded with deer and turkey outside of Denton which is about 30 minutes from Annapolis. I lease this with three other guys who only hunt on occasion. I have never seen a property as rich in deer (many huge bucks) as this property. I do not run this as a hunt club but common sense rules do apply. I may be losing one guy due to financial problems but not sure yet. It's not cheap but not to expensive. Pm me for details.

I'm seeing a maxed out in-box in your future...:D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm seeing a maxed out in-box in your future...:D

Yeah, I'm about to send him a PM too. lol

Would really like to find a place where I can shoot some ducks other than the occasional ducks that come into a goose spread in the middle of a field. Probably going to pick up a duck/jon boat here pretty soon and have been debating hitting the upper Potomac to see if I can figure something out. Also been looking at trying to buy some property in Cambridge, but that is a decent drive for me for just a day worth of hunting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Waterfowl is mainly pay to play .

Small game, any of the various public land.

Lots of the public land also offers Deer. As mentioned some ( many) of the better known/ easily accessable spots have heavy crowds for Modern Firearms season. Options include finding obscure pockets of property, long hiked through rugged terrain to escape crowds, or primarily hunting muzzleloader season or pointy things season. At risking ire of pointy thing traditionalists, I will point out the possibility of Crossbows for those not heavily engaged in the Pointy Thing lifestyle.

And I know this is a Maryland based Forum, but the vast reaches of Geo Washington Nat'l Forest in neighboring Va are within your travel criteria . ( And Va has more logical rules on allowable firearms fir hunting.) ( Sort of. They micromanage what can be used where, but what can be used within each catagory is more relaxed.)

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    What method at present do you plan for deer hunting? Archery, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader? All are possible, but some may involve further drives. Plenty of public land in Maryland, season sorta dictates how busy you will find the weekends. Bow, muzzleloader not so crazy, rifle/shotgun is packed especially on Saturdays.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Waterfowl is mainly pay to play .

Small game, any of the various public land.

Lots of the public land also offers Deer. As mentioned some ( many) of the better known/ easily accessable spots have heavy crowds for Modern Firearms season. Options include finding obscure pockets of property, long hiked through rugged terrain to escape crowds, or primarily hunting muzzleloader season or pointy things season. At risking ire of pointy thing traditionalists, I will point out the possibility of Crossbows for those not heavily engaged in the Pointy Thing lifestyle.

And I know this is a Maryland based Forum, but the vast reaches of Geo Washington Nat'l Forest in neighboring Va are within your travel criteria . ( And Va has more logical rules on allowable firearms fir hunting.) ( Sort of. They micromanage what can be used where, but what can be used within each catagory is more relaxed.)

George Washington National Forest has a lot of sparsely hunted areas as does Monongahela National Forest basically next to it. I used to hunt in West VA a few miles behind Cass....which is a town near Snowshoe Ski resort. This was around 30 years ago and was actually on what was then Myers Lumber Company land that was open to public hunting. 10's of thousands of acres with perhaps a few dozen hunters on that property.

Also, ask around. Sometimes a lease can be picked up for deer for a couple hundred a person. Don't be afraid to ask farmers for permission. Ask other hunters for leads and make your requests early (like NOW). Also, many deer hunting clubs renew their leases in May, June or July so they may have some opening if someone doesn't or can't pay their share.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Hi, I am new to the site and excited to be here. I grew up in Alabama hunting small game, mostly rabbits and squirrels but never hunted Deer and Waterfowl. I grew up around deer hunters but didn't have a male figure in my life to actually take me. I am really excited to do both here in Maryland but basically have no knowledge of the best way to get into this. I am looking for any advice you might give as well as where I can begin to look for places to hunt.

I have been looking for leases but I am only gonna be hunting every couple weekends so the ones I have found have been very expensive for me. This seems to be my biggest hurdle. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

TIA
    Look for an Izaak Walton League near you. Go in, join up, and trust me, you will meet some of the most giving and helpful people on the planet if you are slightly friendly and willing to help out just a little bit. Develop friendships there and it has the potential to open your world up to more amazing hunting experiences than you could ever imagine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    GWNF is closer than the areas of Western Maryland I would otherwise hunt . And I can use 4, 5, and 6.5in bbl pistols. ( And my #2 shooting and hunting partner lives adjacent to GWNF, so I have a place to stay.)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I'm about to send him a PM too. lol

Would really like to find a place where I can shoot some ducks other than the occasional ducks that come into a goose spread in the middle of a field. Probably going to pick up a duck/jon boat here pretty soon and have been debating hitting the upper Potomac to see if I can figure something out. Also been looking at trying to buy some property in Cambridge, but that is a decent drive for me for just a day worth of hunting.

If you do, let me know. I don't think I'd be able to swing it for this season, but I've been intrested in that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom