HEY, LETS GET PRACTICING! Post videos/evidence of your practice HERE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Not great, I was shooting Minor so it's only a 10.24 HF for about 90% in Single stack. If I can pull those D's into the C zone I'm looking at 12 HF and over 100%. My goal was time, I was looking for a sub 4 with no Mike's. It didn't happen....Yet. After running several runs in the low 4's I think a 5 second run would feel really slow. I think that is progress.

I think the D's were mostly just getting on the trigger a fraction to soon, and pulling off the target a bit too soon. I didn't check my splits much, but I think I was running sub .20 splits and transitions. Basically I was trying to shoot as fast as I could pull the trigger for every shot. I need to get my draw and reload consistently under 1.0, and I think with a better grip I'll have more control. Then run some Blake drills at 10 yards to get used to the transitions at that speed. Put it all together and I'll get that sub 4 run.

gotcha. el prez is something I'm gonna focus on this off season as it hits all the classification skills. gonna push for GM in production next season.
    you're thinking push for a specific time goal and then as you repeat runs figure out what you need to do to get your hits? I like that strategy.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    gotcha. el prez is something I'm gonna focus on this off season as it hits all the classification skills. gonna push for GM in production next season.
    you're thinking push for a specific time goal and then as you repeat runs figure out what you need to do to get your hits? I like that strategy.

Basically yeah, I was trying to figure out my limit of speed. And at that limit look for mistakes that I need to work on to both get faster, and get better hits.

I also think getting used to this kind of pace will make my match pace faster too. When running this I ran several in the 4.1x-4.2 range.
    But, a few times I made a mistake or would just be off the pace. I'd shake my head and say "that was slow" to myself, look at the timer and it would be in 4.6 - 4.7 range with good hits. Those are better numbers then I got a couple months back when I was running this drill. And this time it felt slow.

I feel like I've made some progress this year. It gets hard to tell sometimes whether or not your just spinning your wheels or really gaining ground.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Basically yeah, I was trying to figure out my limit of speed. And at that limit look for mistakes that I need to work on to both get faster, and get better hits.

I also think getting used to this kind of pace will make my match pace faster too. When running this I ran several in the 4.1x-4.2 range.
    But, a few times I made a mistake or would just be off the pace. I'd shake my head and say "that was slow" to myself, look at the timer and it would be in 4.6 - 4.7 range with good hits. Those are better numbers then I got a couple months back when I was running this drill. And this time it felt slow.

I feel like I've made some progress this year. It gets hard to tell sometimes whether or not your just spinning your wheels or really gaining ground.

random question. Why is everyone in SS switching to minor? Does the extra round or 2 make it worth the scoring gap? I honestly don't know ANYTHING about that division.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    random question. Why is everyone in SS switching to minor? Does the extra round or 2 make it worth the scoring gap? I honestly don't know ANYTHING about that division.

I can't definitively say one is better, honestly it seems really close. If I assume I'd shoot the same time at a match, major gets about a 4-5% advantage. But in reality if I shoot minor the same speed I shoot major I'll drop more points. So the question becomes can I shoot a little slower and eliminate a reload here and there to get the same time with better hits? Those couple extra rounds can really help on array's with steel, and can open up some stage plan options. I think major probably has a slight advantage as long as you have solid reloads, and don't take many make up shots.

I've shot stages that clearly favored one or the other. Classifiers are almost all better shooting major. For me it partly came down to I wanted to shoot minor. I'm looking at the DMV Sectional match book, thinking major might be the smart play. But, I'll be shooting minor and hoping for the best. The nice thing with 40 is I can change my mind at any time and go back to major.

SS Minor becomes vary similar to Production but with cooler guns. :D

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I can't definitively say one is better, honestly it seems really close. If I assume I'd shoot the same time at a match, major gets about a 4-5% advantage. But in reality if I shoot minor the same speed I shoot major I'll drop more points. So the question becomes can I shoot a little slower and eliminate a reload here and there to get the same time with better hits? Those couple extra rounds can really help on array's with steel, and can open up some stage plan options. I think major probably has a slight advantage as long as you have solid reloads, and don't take many make up shots.

I've shot stages that clearly favored one or the other. Classifiers are almost all better shooting major. For me it partly came down to I wanted to shoot minor. I'm looking at the DMV Sectional match book, thinking major might be the smart play. But, I'll be shooting minor and hoping for the best. The nice thing with 40 is I can change my mind at any time and go back to major.

SS Minor becomes vary similar to Production but with cooler guns. :D

Interesting. Thanks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    32 days in a row of practice. Here is my practice log.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8mepGUz7L8QN_PAcgbCK025QV2c/edit?usp=drivesdk

I will keep this going as long as I can. It has worked wonders for my ease and consistency of manipulation.

Way to go Trevor. I’ve been trying to practice 20min a day and get to the range at least once a month. I’ve come a long way since your intro class but still a long way to go.

I’m looking forward to trying my hand at a future AGC match once they get the new range finished.

I was wondering if you ever use the Mantis or other electronic or laser training aids? Maybe at your level it’s not going to help but I think in my case I’m still working on fundamentals like consistency in my hold/grip and trigger pulls. It seems like it’s making a difference in live fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Way to go Trevor. I’ve been trying to practice 20min a day and get to the range at least once a month. I’ve come a long way since your intro class but still a long way to go.

I’m looking forward to trying my hand at a future AGC match once they get the new range finished.

I was wondering if you ever use the Mantis or other electronic or laser training aids? Maybe at your level it’s not going to help but I think in my case I’m still working on fundamentals like consistency in my hold/grip and trigger pulls. It seems like it’s making a difference in live fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a sport like USPSA or IDPA, I'm not sure the laser style training tools are the best. I think it may get folks in the bad habit of looking for the laser dot on the target rather than getting info from your sights and "calling your shots". The habit of looking for the dot on target can also cause you to look for bullet holes on targets in a match which will cost you massive amounts of time.
    If there are laser training tools that register IR laser hits (so you cant see them real time, only when scoring after the string) that would be pretty cool actually.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Really cool to see your dedication to the craft and what it takes to be on top. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I hope I can motivate shooters to put the work in to get better. There's no barrier to anyone making big improvement other than their level of participation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom