Voting on Question 1 of ballot -Appointments to Fill Vacancies for AG and Comptroller

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://ballotpedia.org/Maryland_Ap...olitical_Party_Affiliation,_Question_1_(2016))

The Maryland Appointments to Fill Vacancies Required to Preserve Political Party Affiliation Amendment, Question 1 will be on the November 8, 2016, ballot in Maryland as a legislatively referred constitutional amendment.
    A "yes" vote supports requiring that political party affiliations be preserved when appointments are made to fill vacancies in the offices of attorney general and comptroller, as determined by the central committee of the relevant political party.
    A "no" vote opposes this political party affiliation preservation requirement for appointments to fill vacancies for the offices of attorney general and comptroller, leaving the governor with wide discretion over such appointments.
    Overview
    Amendment design

I put this in the Maryland 2A section, because Frosh, and because this section is open.

Someone should tell me why the answer to this is not: "hell no," against the constitutional amendment.

Last edited:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Presumably, as Republicans are rarely Governor, they would stand to benefit more from a "No" resolution, but in practice a Democrat will appoint a Democrat, and a Republican will appoint a Republican regardless of how this Question is resolved. It comes down to whether or not you want to strengthen the executive branch in largely meaningless measure. Strikes me as mostly irrelevant.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Presumably, as Republicans are rarely Governor, they would stand to benefit more from a "No" resolution, but in practice a Democrat will appoint a Democrat, and a Republican will appoint a Republican regardless of how this Question is resolved. It comes down to whether or not you want to strengthen the executive branch in largely meaningless measure. Strikes me as mostly irrelevant.

Not in a state with the rare republican governor. In the rare event of a retirement, this would give the Republicans a rare inroad.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Not in a state with the rare republican governor. In the rare event of a retirement, this would give the Republicans a rare inroad.

It would, but the Republican governor is already going to appoint a Republican replacement in such an event. Just like the Democrat governor would be appointing a Democrat replacement. :shrug:

makijo

May 31, 2013
    Catonsville
    You are not reading it right...if a democrat is the AG and the Gov is repub...the office would stay democrat if you vote for the amendment...you must vote no on this amendment....

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It would, but the Republican governor is already going to appoint a Republican replacement in such an event. Just like the Democrat governor would be appointing a Democrat replacement. :shrug:

See below:

You are not reading it right...if a democrat is the AG and the Gov is repub...the office would stay democrat if you vote for the amendment...you must vote no on this amendment....

^^^ this.

I fixed the link. If there is a vacancy, basically the Gov must appoint someone recommended by the state central committee of the same party as the outgoing AG/Comptroller.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Typical Maryland sleaze, rubbing our noses in the One-Party System, and slapping the sitting Governor in the face while forcing him to drop his trousers and bend over.

The Democrats running this state are beyond loathsome.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I saw the thread headline and my heart went aflutter: I thought there were vacancies for AG and Comptroller to fill.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I saw the thread headline and my heart went aflutter: I thought there were vacancies for AG and Comptroller to fill.

But why on earth would they push something like this at this time, unless something was afoot? Is Frosh thinking of stepping down, maybe for *cough* health reasons, or expecting an appointment in Clinton administration?

I hate to speculate (ok, no not really) but this stinks. It's not a pressing issue, unless it is.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    But why on earth would they push something like this at this time, unless something was afoot? Is Frosh thinking of stepping down, maybe for *cough* health reasons, or expecting an appointment in Clinton administration?

I hate to speculate (ok, no not really) but this stinks. It's not a pressing issue, unless it is.

Or they think Hogan will be governor for awhile and are just playing their normal games to put the "fix" in to protect their turf. And they've already done gerrymandering.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Frosh definitely wants to be governor once he's defiled as much of the law as possible as the AG. As for Franchot, I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to remain comptroller until they wheel him out feet first. Maryland's comptroller can be a formidable power behind the throne no matter who is the governor, judging from the precedent of Goldstein and Schaeffer. Power without the scrutiny.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    It never ceases to amaze me that with all the problems people have in this state that the politicians seem to focus on apparently meaningless shit just to secure power.

The sheep are bred blind in this ******** state and it enrages me because Maryland is a beautiful place if you take away the politics.

My vote will be "F NO!", along with the other voting members of my family.

Next year's vacation will be spent looking for a better place in America. I just don't know how much fight I have left for things like this. It is suffocating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom