• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    I am wondering if it is ok to carry a xbow and a rifle, .22lr at the same time? I hadnt given this a second thought till a coworker tokd me they thought that was illegal.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think it would be illegal. Definitely if you did it during bow season. Plus you can't hunt with 22lr, not for deer. On private property you'd still be iffey, if not illegal. Why would you carry a 22lr?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This would be a great question for Maryland's Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

They've always been very helpful when I've called them.

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    I think it would be illegal. Definitely if you did it during bow season. Plus you can't hunt with 22lr, not for deer. On private property you'd still be iffey, if not illegal. Why would you carry a 22lr?

If I am going deep into public land to hunt deer and get skunked I want to hunt small game, rabbits, squirrels, etc on my way out. I prefer to small game hunt with a .22lr, martin 60. Also we were tginking on camping a couple of times. i would want to be able to take a .22lr for hunting then as well.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Serious deer hunters don't want to see and hear someone hunting squirrels while they're patiently and quietly waiting for Bambi to pass by.

Not to mention accidently getting shot by a stray .22.

Best time to hunt squirrels is outside of Bambi whacking season.

Yet another reason while I'll never step foot on public land to hunt.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Page 21 of the Hunting guide is pretty clear. So no you cannot have a firearm and bow together unless the firearm is for SD from bear in Region A. and you are over 21. More rules apply. Camping is fine, just decide are you deer hunting or small game hunting ahead of time.
    You could get a few judu points and have one or two arrows set up for small game, or you could use broadhead, but a miss and your BH will probably be toast.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/archery-deer-hunting-regulations/

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    Serious deer hunters don't want to see and hear someone hunting squirrels while they're patiently and quietly waiting for Bambi to pass by.

Not to mention accidently getting shot by a stray .22.

Best time to hunt squirrels is outside of Bambi whacking season.

Yet another reason while I'll never step foot on public land to hunt.

So even though rabbit and squirrel season are open I still shouldnt hunt public land during deer season?

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    Page 21 of the Hunting guide is pretty clear. So no you cannot have a firearm and bow together unless the firearm is for SD from bear in Region A. and you are over 21. More rules apply. Camping is fine, just decide are you deer hunting or small game hunting ahead of time.
    You could get a few judu points and have one or two arrows set up for small game, or you could use broadhead, but a miss and your BH will probably be toast.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/archery-deer-hunting-regulations/

So i guess this si different by state, i remember an episode of meat eater where he was carrying a .308 but had a .22lr back at his camp that he hunted rabbit with.

Does this only apply to an individual. If a few go camping but only i have a bow to deer hunt while they have firearms to hunt small game is that legal?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Definitely illegal.

Western MD allows for a SD handgun, but it is not allowed to hunt or dispatch game with.

If you want to shoot small game, get Judo points.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So i guess this si different by state, i remember an episode of meat eater where he was carrying a .308 but had a .22lr back at his camp that he hunted rabbit with.

Does this only apply to an individual. If a few go camping but only i have a bow to deer hunt while they have firearms to hunt small game is that legal?

That wouldn't be illegal. It is mixing a firearm and a bow. If it was outside of deer season you might MAYBE be okay. There isn't anything about it being illegal to carry a bow and a firearm when hunting small game.

Since that is illegal for deer hunting, I would NOT want to be caught carrying both and try to talk my way out of an encounter with a game warden.

Also carrying more than one firearm would not be a good idea if you had someone without a license with you.

If you want to hunt deer and small game at the same time, take a shotgun with slugs and shot with you. Shot isn't legal for deer, but I can't imagine any warden is going to think you are hunting a deer with some #6.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, to clarify in the group scenario, probably not illegal, but also probably not wise if you are all out actively hunting and obviously together. How many groups of hunters try to go for both? If it was in camp, I don't see a warden giving you a hard time.

Gee officer, I figured if I got lucky I'd clean up the deer, come back to camp and go out and drop some squirrels.

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    Oh, to clarify in the group scenario, probably not illegal, but also probably not wise if you are all out actively hunting and obviously together. How many groups of hunters try to go for both? If it was in camp, I don't see a warden giving you a hard time.

Gee officer, I figured if I got lucky I'd clean up the deer, come back to camp and go out and drop some squirrels.

Yea I actually have this type of situation, My 2 buddies only have .22s and are only interested in small game hunting and camping. So my thought was just having a central camp and hiking out in the mornings to different areas to hunt. I could hunt deer with a crossbow while they go and hunt small game with their rifles. If I get skunked could join them for the afternoon. I know there are those half rounds that sound like an air rifle so if we had to be close they would totally blow out the area.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you all decide to hunt different game near each other I suggest this arrangement. Excuse my crude drawing, but you'll get the gist. Keep the small game hunters up wind of you, and deer may head your way to avoid them otherwise you will have to keep your scent movement controlled really well.

Attachments

• hunt.jpg
      hunt.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 239

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

If you are hunting deer during firearms season, you can have a .308 and a couple other firearms on you too, as long as they are deer legal in Maryland (i.e., create the needed amount of muzzle energy). What you cannot do is carry a firearm into the woods with you during bow season. The reason for that is because it is only bow season. Had a client get busted for shooting a deer with a shogun during muzzleloader season. DNR couldn't really prove whether he used the shotgun or the muzzleloader, but he had the shotgun on him. He got off on a charging technicality.

Personally, I think the rule sucks. Been plenty of times I would have liked to shoot a squirrel or two while I was on the stand, but not doing that with a bow. Guess I could do it during firearms season when using a shotgun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So even though rabbit and squirrel season are open I still shouldnt hunt public land during deer season?

If I was you, I would hunt them during deer season. I killed one of my antlered bucks because he was beaded down and hiding real good. He was probably 200 yards from me, and I never would have known it, until another hunter got out of his stand early and pushed the buck out of the bed. Kaboom went the .300 Win Mag and down went the buck. It was the guy's first year hunting and he felt bad. He had gotten to the farm early and I was the last one to get there. So, I just hung out by the farm house.

During gun season, I don't worry too much about people coming through the woods. Probably wouldn't care that much during bow season either.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    [QUOTE
    During gun season, I don't worry too much about people coming through the woods. Probably wouldn't care that much during bow season either.

Thats right, let them do the work for you.[/QUOTE]

Yep. They move the deer around and I kill the deer. Unless you are on a path/trail where the deer regularly travel/funnel or on the edge of a field they are feeding in, driving the deer is the only way to get them to move around during the day. Heck, that might be the only way to kill deer in the middle of the day. Early in the morning and right before sundown, you catch them moving to and from the fields. Once they find a cozy spot to chew their cud, they have no reason to move.

Once upon a time, during firearm season, people said not to smoke, not to take a leak, not to pass gas. I just don't see that being the case nowadays. For bow season, yes. For firearm and muzzleloader, unless you are hunting in some really thick stuff or you need a 20 yard shot because you cannot hit anything beyond that, including the side of a barn, scent control isn't a big deal. The most deer I have ever killed in a day was while walking through the woods. The second most was when I was sitting in a thicket in the middle of the day and 12 spooked deer came running across the farm.

Got my first antlered buck because I was in my stand really early and then somebody spooked him. He was headed across the middle of a cut corn field trying to get to a patch of trees and bushes. He didn't make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom