• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Recently on the MoCo scanner I heard an officer ask the dispatcher to put a subject's name in the "firearms registration search" after the guy didn't show up in other database searches. (He was drunk and supposedly had a handgun which he tossed away while being pursued.)

So, in Maryland, there's a database they can put your name in and see what guns you own?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Recently on the MoCo scanner I heard an officer ask the dispatcher to put a subject's name in the "firearms registration search" after the guy didn't show up in other database searches. (He was drunk and supposedly had a handgun which he tossed away while being pursued.)

So, in Maryland, there's a database they can put your name in and see what guns you own?

I believe they've been compiling and keeping a list of every handgun and regulated rifle purchased since 1996.

Then you have added benefit of FFLs keeping records for 20 years.

And regardless of what folks say, the feds have a list of every damn firearm we've ever purchased.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yes MSP has a special name for but its called GunTrace (IIRC) when ATF does it. Shows who bought, sold, and transferred said weapon.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I believe they've been compiling a keeping a list of every handgun and regulated rifle purchased since 1996.

And regardless of what folks say, the feds have a list of every damn firearm we've ever purchased.

That would mean they cheated.

but...but...OK, they cheated...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Md has relatively easy access to record of transactions by Regulated Weapon Dealers ( known as Pistol & Revolver Dealers 1966-94). Doesn't include dispositions or legal aquisitions by other methods.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Md has relatively easy access to record of transactions by Regulated Weapon Dealers ( known as Pistol & Revolver Dealers 1966-94). Doesn't include dispositions or legal aquisitions by other methods.

The point is that the databases exist. Stalin would be proud.

BTW, that's illegal at the Federal level, but it's just a little database... :innocent0

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP runs the Maryland Gun Center. Supposedly to assist LEO with recovered firearms ID but I suspect something else more nefarious is probably going on.

Attachments

• Memo_13-021_Recovered_Firearms_and_MD_Gun_Center.pdf
      504.6 KB · Views: 501

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I had a pistol confiscated and tried to claim it after everything was said and done. Long story short, when I tried to reclaim it, the Sherriffs department wouldn't release it to me since it was purchased out of state. Even though I had the receipt for it when I originally bought it, they wanted proof it was registered with the state where I lived during time of purchase (California). On top of that, the deputy rattled off the list of firearms I purchased after moving to Maryland years later. It was a little sobering to know that they kept record of my purchases in the state.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Maryland, and everywhere else knows where guns are "supposed to be". Last pistol transfer at a MSP Barracks, very nice young man went in the back typed on a keyboard and then told me "Yep, that Ruger was sold to you".
    Also, way back in the 80's it only took 16 minutes to Trace Hinckley's revolver to a Pawn shop in Texas, according to the NY times.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I believe they've been compiling and keeping a list of every handgun and regulated rifle purchased since 1996.

You think the Feds know of FTF sales?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    For the record:

For decades there has been a database in CJIS in MD on the state side called "MGUN."

Any officer with CJIS access and a login can search it. It contains a list of every regulated gun registered in MD. They can search by you name and get all REGULATED firearms registered to you in MD as well as a list of your gun permits, guard licenses and other permits issued by the Licensing Division.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Yes MSP has a special name for but its called GunTrace (IIRC) when ATF does it. Shows who bought, sold, and transferred said weapon.

The ATF traces crime and seized guns, as well as guns registered to persons who become felons.

Most major jurisdictions initiate traces on any gun they seize or recover.

We get requests form the ATF on a regular basis and have 24 hours to respond with a faxed copy of the 4473. In practice, the Tracing Center usually just calls and we read them the required info over the phone.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

Yes, but only REGULATED firearms, and also your gun permit and other Licensing Division issued permits and licenses.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Maryland State Police database is a disaster because every regulated firearm purchase you ever have made IS STILL LISTED IN YOUR NAME even if you have sold or transferred that firearm.

It's a joke.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The Maryland State Police database is a disaster because every regulated firearm purchase you ever have made IS STILL LISTED IN YOUR NAME even if you have sold or transferred that firearm.

It's a joke.
    So... 1000 people each with 5 handguns create a loop in ownership of 5 people for each handgun owned. The gun comes back to the original owner after being legally transferred 5 times.

The noise in the database would make it useless beyond hopeless.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    So... 1000 people each with 5 handguns create a loop in ownership of 5 people for each handgun owned. The gun comes back to the original owner after being legally transferred 5 times.

The noise in the database would make it useless beyond hopeless.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

They have to comb thru the owner's database looking for the serial number and transfer/sell date closest to TODAY, in order to come up with a current owner.

That doesn't count paperwork mistakes. The MSP called me once saying their paperwork was illegible as regards the serial number and asked me to tell them what the serial number was. They approached me identifying me as "the seller" of the gun.

Except I was....the buyer.

As for illegibility, it wasn't my fault or the seller's. Despite my requests to fill out the firearm make, model and serial number section with good penmanship, I am always refused.

I have often pointed out mistakes in the info in those sections because the MSP puts a part number in place of the serial number, and once identified an AR barrel as 8 inches in length because that's all the trooper saw coming out of the hand guard.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I believe they've been compiling and keeping a list of every handgun and regulated rifle purchased since 1996. Then you have added benefit of FFLs keeping records for 20 years. And regardless of what folks say, the feds have a list of every damn firearm we've ever purchased.

When I went in for my carry permit interview at MSP barracks in Frederick he had no records of any of my handguns. That was in 2012.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    MSP runs the Maryland Gun Center. Supposedly to assist LEO with recovered firearms ID but I suspect something else more nefarious is probably going on.

I hate that they use the term "recovered". Regardless of the circumstance, they didn't recover anything. They seized it. You cannot recover something that you never had possession of in the first place.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Remember what happened in 2002 when the Washington Beltway sniper was still active? MSP troopers knocked on the door of everyone registered as a buyer of an AR-type rifle in their data base, & requested that the person show them the rifle. Of course they had no right to demand that the person show their rifle, since, obviously, that would have been illegal.

It was ironic that they revealed their "secret" data base by doing that, especially since the murder weapon had been stolen from a gun shop on the West Coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom