• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The ft lb per magazine may not be crazy talk per se , but it is largely irrelevant. The First Hit is by far the most important hit, and may well be thw only hit. In between them moving, you moving, short time constraints, multiple bad guys, etc, don't hold your breath to expect more than one or two hits.

And as much as that would seem initially to argue for power per se to be overridding factor, there's more to this.

As Dbledoc pointed out what's really important is making hits, making good hits. (And adding myself, making buncha good hits, rapidly). So control counts too.

For people * With medium-ish chunk of initial training, who then shoot once or twice a year to maintain proficiency* ( is most LE most people who pack heat in exchange for paycheck generally) will have a steep decline in proficiency at a point on the power/ recoil/ controlability scale. At that level starts kicking in when you get much more than 9mm/ .38+P in full size -ish gun.

No , this doesn't extrapolate all the way down to .22lr duty/ defensive guns, a certain floor level of reasonably adequate power and effectiveness is needed, beyond which control and on target accuracy must be balanced vs more power.

Sure, 5-10 % will self motivate to increase and maintain proficiency. And ideally employers would double the frequency and round count of periodic practice/ in service training, vut don't hold your breath for that either.

Being anarchist inclined on such matters, I don't think there should be a standard issue calibre/ pistol. One answer does not fit all.

Yeah, yeah, usual arguments against that. But even if I grant 85% of the argument to the other side, there are still big improvements to be had.

Using example of FBI like hypothetical organization. Standarize on Glock fire control, operating systems, armorer skills and tools. Give individual peons their option of full size, midsize, compact, and a cpl additional cal choices. All the peons will still know how to handle each other's pistols. Same knowledge base for instructors. Same knowledge base and equipment for armorers. If they choose to standardize on frame size, largely standardize on leather gear. If they want to pinch pennies issue G19 by default, and allow private purchase, dept inspected 17 or 26, plus equiv of some combinations in .357S,.40, .45 (acp or GAP). Yeah , they would have to select and/ or stock multiple cals, but that's not insurmountable, and once they decide on a particular load for 9mm, not rocket science to exprapolate same product line over the othet cals. Ie ,if say 124 Gold Dot is the pick for 9mm , the easy pick is 125 GD for .357, 165 or 180 GD for .40 , 230 GD for either.45.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think I've finally got the problem solved. Carry pistol, duty pistol, and patrol carbine all in the same family. :D True, follow up shots are a little slower. But you probably will only need one.

obrez1.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Because 9mm comes out faster than .40 or .45 it expands more reliably. In fact using Hornady Critical Defense as an example the 9mm version expands to about .604 while neither the .40 or .45 can reach that size. 10mm and .357 Sig can do better but then you have the problem with some shooters not being able to handle guns at those faster velocities and power factors. Might as well go to the FN 57, recoils less, shoots flatter, and the right ammo can even penetrate IIIA body armor. That would be the ultimate .22 (5.7mm is about .23 actually) defensive gun.
    As it is if they use 9mm pistols they can then use Sig MPX subguns.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Because 9mm comes out faster than .40 or .45 it expands more reliably. In fact using Hornady Critical Defense as an example the 9mm version expands to about .604 while neither the .40 or .45 can reach that size. 10mm and .357 Sig can do better but then you have the problem with some shooters not being able to handle guns at those faster velocities and power factors. Might as well go to the FN 57, recoils less, shoots flatter, and the right ammo can even penetrate IIIA body armor. That would be the ultimate .22 (5.7mm is about .23 actually) defensive gun.

Hate to argue but that's not really accurate in my opinion. :) You may have seen that in one test but I would respectfully suggest going over some different ballistic charts. Hornady makes a quality product in manufacturing terms but from what I have seen their bullets, including Critical Duty rounds, are on the lower-end of 9mm expansion performance. Usually around .40-.50" give or take a little. A lot of the quality loads in .40 and .45 are going to expand up to around .70 or higher in a standard ballistic gel test. Most of the high end 9mm loads hang down around .50-.60". I'm talking about partial clothing ballistic gel tests here, because I think those are the most realistic.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Hate to argue but that's not really accurate in my opinion. :) You may have seen that in one test but I would respectfully suggest going over some different ballistic charts. Hornady makes a quality product in manufacturing terms but from what I have seen their bullets, including Critical Duty rounds, are on the lower-end of 9mm expansion performance. Usually around .40-.50" give or take a little. A lot of the quality loads in .40 and .45 are going to expand up to around .70 or higher in a standard ballistic gel test. Most of the high end 9mm loads hang down around .50-.60". I'm talking about partial clothing ballistic gel tests here, because I think those are the most realistic.

I agree but can only base my "knowledge" off of HOURS of watching youtube video's. When I was deciding my next carry round I literally spend two nights watching various videos before finally ending up with 124+P Gold Dots or 147 HST's.

From the video's it didn't seem to matter a heck of a lot if it was a 9mm, .357 Sig, 40 or .45. It varied A LOT on the particular round in that caliber.

While HST's expanded well in every line it appeared best in .45 and is very likely to expand to a larger round then HST in 9mm.

For instance a lower quality 9mm HP round is going to open less than a higher quality .45 (HST mainly). A higher quality 9mm (GD or HST) is going to expand at a better rate than a poor performing .45.

All being equal the BEST performing .45 is going to expand more than the BEST performing 9mm. There are plenty of 9mm rounds that will out perform a .45 with poor performance.

My personal choice was to go with 124+P Gold dots and pick up two more rounds per magazine in the same sized gun. Should be good enough expansion, it's easy to obtain most months, seems highly regarded by folks I consider to know more than I do, and like I said went from 10 to 12 rounds for performance that isn't much different than .40. I do not feel like I'm giving anything up besides some wind shield ballistics in arm length to 10 yard shooting.

I'm undecided if I'm going to continue to carry the 9mm or switch to .40, .45, or try the Sig. I'm not a fan of losing capacity in the .45 carry size guns. The extra rounds mean more to me than the size of the round.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

huh?

can you please direct me to the 9mm that out expands this while still reaching 12"?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I personally think all agencies should go with the new 8x19mm Black Widow round. It only weighs 15 grains but leaves the barrel at 7,000fps and contains a small venomous spider in the nose cone. The spider then bites the bad guy who falls instantly dead, as has been proven by many James Bond films. It does not make a large wound cavity, which has the added benefit of four out five dentists preferring it for preventing cavities. A rifle version is also planned, which will fire a heavier bullet transporting a pregnant venomous spider which will lay several hundred eggs with a three days gestation period before hatching and bursting forth through the skin. This will not only have the effect of instantly killing the bad guy, it will also add great hilarity to the scene of his viewing 72 hours later.

I know it's true. I read it on the internet.

What's the hydrostatic wound channel of the spider like? Does it expand reliably?

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Glock scored an $85,000,000 contract to supply the FBI with their new service pistols.

:party29:

What are they paying per pistol? Even at a rather steep $1k/gun including accessories 85 million handguns seems a bit high for FBI needs...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Length of contract appears to be over 10 years:
    https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=b572bfc31492380c0534465de4c674dc

B.4 PRICING/TEN (10) YEAR ESTIMATED CONTRACT COST
    Price proposals shall be submitted using the Pricing Matrix provided in this
    solicitation. Refer to Section J, List of Attachments, and Attachment 1 of the
    solicitation package.

F.2 PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
    The anticipated period of performance of this contract shall be a twelve month base, to
    begin upon the date of award, with nine (9) potential one-year option periods.

It also seems to be more than just the FBI:

From Amendment 1 to the RFP:
    https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=452184390b2ebba91cbe4039b3235714
    C. 7 AUTHORIZED BUYERS
    In addition to the FBI, the following U.S. Government entities may purchase pistols
    and/or parts under the contract:
    United States Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security
    United States Marshals Service
    Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
    United States Postal Service
    United States Treasury Department
    Drug Enforcement Agency
    United States Capitol Police
    United States Park Police
    United States Department of Energy
    Office of Inspector General (all Federal agencies)
    United States Department of Defense9
    Periodic adjustments may be made to the authorized buyer list throughout the life of
    the contract. Authorization will be provided on a case by case basis and require
    advance written approval by the FBI Contracting Officer.

Also, it appears the Glock will be making two new variants of the G19 and G17. Hopefully they make it to the civilian market.

Per the FBI's requirements:
    C.3.2 Class I & II pistols shall have the same operating system and control mechanisms
    with the only difference being the slide, barrel, frame, and grip dimensions.

C.4.15.a Finger grooves on the frame are not permitted.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I agree but can only base my "knowledge" off of HOURS of watching youtube video's. When I was deciding my next carry round I literally spend two nights watching various videos before finally ending up with 124+P Gold Dots or 147 HST's.

From the video's it didn't seem to matter a heck of a lot if it was a 9mm, .357 Sig, 40 or .45. It varied A LOT on the particular round in that caliber.

While HST's expanded well in every line it appeared best in .45 and is very likely to expand to a larger round then HST in 9mm.

For instance a lower quality 9mm HP round is going to open less than a higher quality .45 (HST mainly). A higher quality 9mm (GD or HST) is going to expand at a better rate than a poor performing .45.

All being equal the BEST performing .45 is going to expand more than the BEST performing 9mm. There are plenty of 9mm rounds that will out perform a .45 with poor performance.

My personal choice was to go with 124+P Gold dots and pick up two more rounds per magazine in the same sized gun. Should be good enough expansion, it's easy to obtain most months, seems highly regarded by folks I consider to know more than I do, and like I said went from 10 to 12 rounds for performance that isn't much different than .40. I do not feel like I'm giving anything up besides some wind shield ballistics in arm length to 10 yard shooting.

I'm undecided if I'm going to continue to carry the 9mm or switch to .40, .45, or try the Sig. I'm not a fan of losing capacity in the .45 carry size guns. The extra rounds mean more to me than the size of the round.
    Lol, but I do enjoy some of the videos.

I have no strong, evidence based argument but choose calibers based on the guns that I like to shoot that are also near 100% reliable. A Glock 32, S&W 686, and PPQ (in 9mm) are on this list. I'm badly jonesing for a 226 or 229 in 357 Sig, and have been eyeballing this guy ...

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/sauer-p229r-very-good-condition-p-35766.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What's the hydrostatic wound channel of the spider like? Does it expand reliably?

I don't know if you've seen my Youtube channel where I scientifically test ammunition by shooting rounds through used Pabst Blue Ribbon cans filled with milk shakes, but I have found with a confidence interval of 93% +/- .02 that most of the rounds consistently go in the same direction they were pointed.

As soon as I get more of my allowance saved up I'm going to buy another box of rounds to test out. But right now I need to go out around the neighborhood and look for some empty beer cans. While we're on the subject I'd like to thank my alcoholic neighbor down the street for making my channel possible by recycling.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    DC-W, that's an interesting list. I know for a fact that some of those agencies are not carrying G17/ G19 now. I wonder if they are all looking to test / switch or if this is essentially the Federal Government Glock contract for all agencies and all models.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    DC-W, that's an interesting list. I know for a fact that some of those agencies are not carrying G17/ G19 now. I wonder if they are all looking to test / switch or if this is essentially the Federal Government Glock contract for all agencies and all models.

Would love to know what the USPS needs pistols for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom