• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ksb6363

Dec 2, 2013
    Charles county, MD
    So I'm looking into getting a new gun. I am just in love with the MKA 1919. The AR-15 style is primarily my favorite interest. Aside from all that I'm curious about purchasing one. I figured here would be the place to go seeing as how you guys know your stuff. First off, let me state, I'm new to hunting and just guns in general. I'd like to point out that I live in Charles County,MD if that helps. So with that being said here are the questions I have.

What are the restrictions on magazine capacity for shotguns in Maryland?

Would you consider the MKA 1919 to be a good gun for deer hunting?

Whats your overall opinion of the gun?

Also for those who have used or own the MKA 1919...

Is it reliable? Does it jam easily?

Is it accurate?

How is the recoil?

All feed back is appreciated
    NOTICE:(This is my first day on MDshooters so my apologies for any errors)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Welcome! I actually have no idea or experience with these shotguns, but I must say that if Tony Rumore digs them enough to make parts for them-they can't be bad. Not a lot to go on, but if you're unsure of the overall weapon then that is a heck of an endorsement IMO.

Good luck with getting answers, I'm sure some guys here will be able to help you out.

So I'm looking into getting a new gun. I am just in love with the MKA 1919. The AR-15 style is primarily my favorite interest. Aside from all that I'm curious about purchasing one. I figured here would be the place to go seeing as how you guys know your stuff. First off, let me state, I'm new to hunting and just guns in general. I'd like to point out that I live in Charles County,MD if that helps. So with that being said here are the questions I have.

What are the restrictions on magazine capacity for shotguns in Maryland?

Would you consider the MKA 1919 to be a good gun for deer hunting?

Whats your overall opinion of the gun?

Also for those who have used or own the MKA 1919...

Is it reliable? Does it jam easily?

Is it accurate?

How is the recoil?

All feed back is appreciated
    NOTICE:(This is my first day on MDshooters so my apologies for any errors)

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    I have one and I love it. Just use high brass and you won't have any issues. I have never shot any slugs out of it, but I used #6 for squirrel and it was great. Barrel is a little shorter then the browning gold hunter but no complaints here. When I first started playing with it, it jammed a little with buckshot but the no 6 never gives me any issues. I will shoot a slug out of it tomorrow to see how it does.

Edit: I don't think the recoil is bad at all but my pop thinks it kicks a little. It is pretty accurate too. I don't have much numbers on it though

Ksb6363

Dec 2, 2013
    Charles county, MD
    Please keep me updated, seeing as how I'll be using it for deer hunting I'll be running slugs through it. Also do you have anything done to it or any attachments on it that improve performance that you would recommend?

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    No attachments yet but there is some stuff from tooth and nail that I want to try out. I recently put some money into an fnh so I'm short on cash for that project lol It's pretty accurate with buckshot so I assume slugs will group nice too. I may even take it out hunting tomorrow but I'm not sure. I will probably stick to my 35 Rem. since I hunt the thickets

Ksb6363

Dec 2, 2013
    Charles county, MD
    And a few more quick questions, when you're hunting with the MKA 1919, does Maryland limit the magazine capacity? And also how did you go about purchasing the gun? Did you order online, and if so did it come with the 10 round magazine?

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    I ordered it from buds because they had the best price for the others I was getting. Atlantic firearms has them, too. It came with 2 5 round mags and 3 choke tubes for like 680 or something like that. I saw some at gun shows for 800 which was a little high for me. MD limits for rifle deer hunting is 8 in the gun; the mag can hold more, but 8 is all you can hunt with in the gun. Every thing else you hunt, the shotgun can only hold 3 total. They sell 2 rd mags for it.

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    Yep that's pretty much it. That's what I've read, but you should call dnr and ask. I hunt on private property so I don't worry as much. Most of the time I'm just target practicing and I decide to walk through the woods to see what I can get lol

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I have a 1919. Wouldn't cycle the low shot at first, stovepiped every other round. Bought a couple boxes of the 3in mag shells to loosen everything up and she runs like a charm now with any grade and type of shell. Also I feel the factory mags are the cause for most feeding/ejecting issues. I have never had a problem with the 1919 after 2 boxes of heavy duty loads and switching to the 10rd stick mag. Its my favorite clay buster. Well its my only clay buster until I get an 870.

Edit: Can't give a report on slugs or hunting usage as I don't do either.

I do have a really cheap red dot sight on top mine. Looks decent and stays withing tolerance considering the recoil.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    TTD's info is pretty spot on.

I've got one from Firebird Precision. I love it. Running an Eotech on mine. I bought it to run open division in three gun and shotgun matches.

Seems like a lot of the issues are similar to the other mag fed shotguns. They need to be broken in. They need some mag tuning. I've run mine in a few comps and at the range a few times. Very few issues. And those were solved by tuning the mag follower and feed lips a bit. I ran slugs through mine last weekend. Low recoil federal slugs. Tossed them downrange just fine.

2A sales has a black one on the wall.

I don't think I would get it for hunting specifically though. Shorter barrel, mag guns are a little more difficult to shoot while prone, reliability will always be slightly more questionable than a good standard auto or pump.

I've shot clays with it for fun....but it's not a clay gun. An even longer barrel is preferred for that. Super soft shooting autos and over/under shotguns pretty much rule the sporting world on that end.

This is a great excuse to get two guns. Or three....... Or.....

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Like any other shotgun or rifle. Shot will spread out and lose velocity and slugs will lose velocity quickly out of a short barrel. Tooth and nail does have 22" barrels for them. I'm not saying don't get it. Get it and a 500/870 for hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom