• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    …and replaced with “Born & Raised” and “Thatcher and Rye” respectively. Both are still under the same ownership (Voltaggio). B&R even maintains a couple menu items from Family Meal, their fried chicken being one.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    A fellow Fred Fredneckian told me they did some shady crap with gift cards prior to going under. Something along the lines of "buy gift cards to help us stay open" and then "of course those gift cards aren't good at our new restaurants!"

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    A fellow Fred Fredneckian told me they did some shady crap with gift cards prior to going under. Something along the lines of "buy gift cards to help us stay open" and then "of course those gift cards aren't good at our new restaurants!"

That's on par with certain VFW's around here invalidating all drink chips after a certain date. They keep the money if you don't use you chips. But they won't give you a cash refund for the chips. No wonder why so many alcoholics haunt the VFW. :rolleyes:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    If I recall correctly, I was told there were a bunch of posts on facebook about it. I never cared for their brand of restaurants, so it wasn't worth looking into any further.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    That's on par with certain VFW's around here invalidating all drink chips after a certain date. They keep the money if you don't use you chips. But they won't give you a cash refund for the chips. No wonder why so many alcoholics haunt the VFW. :rolleyes:

Is there any reason they do this, other than to 'cheat' people out of money?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I ate at Volt awhile back. It was okay but not awesome, certainly not worth the price.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I enjoyed Family Meal now and again, didn't try Volt, no reason, just didn't seem to have available seating when we thought about it. Family Meal, was located at a nice spot, beside Rockwell brewery and Quartermasters Cigars. Enjoyed the Cigars and beer more though!

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I ate at Volt awhile back. It was okay but not awesome, certainly not worth the price.

That is what i have heard, even from my friends who like super fancy and expensive places. They said it was just obscenely expensive and not good enough to be worth that.

Family meal was pretty good but still a little pricey for what it was, just good regular food, nothing too crazy.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    That is what i have heard, even from my friends who like super fancy and expensive places. They said it was just obscenely expensive and not good enough to be worth that.

Family meal was pretty good but still a little pricey for what it was, just good regular food, nothing too crazy.

Pretty much my experience exactly. I went to Volt once, that was enough. Family Meal maybe 2-3 but it was nothing worth going out of my way for.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If it wasn't for "Top Chef" or whatever program the Voltaggio brothers were on they would be unknowns. They did bring a lot of people to Frederick who spent their money here...nothing wrong with that and for that I applaud them.

Their style of cuisine wasn't much to my liking...I'm more of good ol' American fare without having to pay for the ambiance. I did eat at Family Meal once...it was ok but nothing special. I wish them well with their new endeavors...they'll succeed or fail on their own which is the way it should be.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    We live about a 5 minute walk from Family Meal/Born and Raised. They made a good omelet and the fried chicken was really good. Have not been back since the re-opening. REALLY enjoy Rockwell Brewery and would rather eat at Oscar's.

There has been a lot of controversy regarding gift cards. The "new" restaurant will not accept Family Meal gift cards. The (apparent) explanation is that the property owner is now operating the restaurant and Voltaggio has nothing to do with it, so they have no way to redeem the gift cards. Seems like they could have figured something out. This is hurting their reputation right out of the box. They also had a Covid positive employee that caused a temporary shut down right after opening.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    A lot of these types of restaurants routinely shutdown, reimagine, rebrand and relaunch. It's part of the creative side intersecting with the business side.

Remember that for a lot of these celebrity type chefs/restaurateurs this is an art form in addition to a business and that the business is often a means to sustaining their artistic bent.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I've heard the same, they wouldn't honor them after changing names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom