• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I've seen the "IP" abbreviation in a number of posts but don't know what it means. I tried searching but the term is too short or ambiguous for the search engine to handle. What does it mean?

Industry Partner. There are a number of dealers/businesses that are members of the forum.

diduljc

Jan 24, 2013
    Fort Washington MD
    Hi,

I have been occasionally checking the forums, but this is my first post.

I recently joined the Ft. Meade and Quantico Shooting clubs and my interest is in accurate and long range rifle shooting.

I have a Bergara LRP in 6.5 creedmoor, and I am looking for an AR15 type rifle in 223 wylde with as much accuracy as possible. I would really like to get a TX15 Designated Marksman Light Enhanced but don't know if it's MD compliant. Sent two messages and made a phone call to Lone Star Armory, which makes the TX15, but was ignored; presumably because it's not MD compliant and they just can't be bothered to reply.

If a TX15 purchase is not possible, my next choice is an Armalite M-15 18 inch 3 Gun Rifle in 5.56/223 wylde. Initial research suggests the Armalite is MD compliant.

The above is based on internet searches, forums etc, but I have not had the benefit of speaking to any experienced long range rifle shooters. Any advice and suggestions would be welcome.

John D.

70Sevens

Jun 4, 2013
    Decided to do a quick primer for you new folks on how this, and most, forums work. First off welcome! Help us help you and fill out your profile to include your location. This helps us give you better information when you ask questions regarding places to shoot etc. Please check this thread BEFORE you start asking questions to see if the answer is here. But first, for those of you that are LESS computer savvy here are a few quick tips:

POSTING PICTURES:

http://www.photobucket.com

-Register (it's free, registration is similar to registering here)
    -Upload (via the instructions on the home screen after registration) your photos from your computer, external harddrive, or even from the nether regions of the internet.
    -Copy then paste the [ img]url link of picture[/ img] code for the picture you want into your post. Make sure the picture isn't gigantic. You can change this from the "edit" option at the top of the picture in question, an ideal picture size for forum use is 800x600, DON'T post pictures much larger than this....it's bad forum etiquette and just looks like crap. PM me if you have further questions.

Alternatively, you can use the forum hosting option (uploading your pictures directly to the forum). I've used it once so I can't really help here.

One hard and fast rule the Mods WILL enforce, is NO PICTURES OF FAT CHICKS. This was an MDS meme that went a BIT too far and now has been cracked down on....so don' t do it.

That seems to be the biggest question for less experienced computer users. Now let's move on to some other questions.

CAN I BRAG ABOUT MY GUNS?

(writeup by member jjbduke2004)

Yes, you can brag about your new acquisitions on MDS. Many of our members live vicariously through other members' purchases. However, there is one hard and fast rule: you must always include a picture of a new gun. Please see the relevant FAQ section for directions. This policy is strictly and swiftly enforced by MDS member fivepointstar and others. Consequences can be severe.

When posting pictures on MDS, it is recommended that you authenticate the picture as anyone can use photoshop or grab a photo off of another website. One authenticates a photo by making sure at least one foot, socked or unsocked, appears in the photo. You should supply your own foot, however, other members have used the feet of their children or significant others.

WHEN I'M LOGGED IN FOR A LONG TIME, SOMETIMES IT AUTOMATICALLY LOGS ME OUT! HELP!

This IS irritating, but an easy fix. When you are logging in, there is a box next to your username/password entries that says "Remember Me". Check that box then login. You will now NOT be logged out until YOU want to log out.

HOW DO I POST IN THE CLASSIFIEDS?

We encourage new members to JOIN the community, become a part of it, get to know people and let us get to know YOU before you start posting in the classifieds, so there is a 50 post minimum before you can do so. Don't think you can just dash off 50 quick posts then start selling things, the mods will see this tactic a mile away and you will not succeed. Also, posting a thread to complain about this rule and to sneakily get in as many posts as possible will be caught.....and you will be punished and doomed to Craigslist.

HOW DO I POST VIDEOS?

Good question, my young Padawan.... a few rules first. DO NOT embed YouTube videos with coding to either auto play or loop.... You will see the reason for that shortly in the MDS Threads of Note section. Here's how you embed YouTube videos.

I'd like to post/reply in the water cooler threads. When I'm in one of those threads..,.it shows that its not available to me. Is that because I don't have 50 posts? If not, how can I "register" so I can post there? Thank you

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't understand how you're even reading Water Cooler threads. Once you have 50 posts, the Water Cooler opens up for you in the totality if it's glory. At the rate you're going, you'll be there in about 500 years.

If you want to get there sooner, you could post a little bit more frequently, perhaps every year. That will speed things up considerably.

You must resist the temptation to start posting brief little fluff posts, such as "I agree," "Nice gun," or "Is she hot?" Many people try that, and when they get up around 48 posts or so in a single day, the mods will delete the fluff posts and knock them back down to single digits. Everyone just laughs, and merriment abounds.

There is a second way to get into the Water Cooler. It is a new policy which began last year with the new software. I can't say I really approve.
    Just as people could buy titles of nobility or military commissions in days of yore, or purchase indulgences to gain instant admission to Heaven, it is now possible to buy Water Cooler access.

But no decent person would do such a thing, any more than a true Scotsman would eat porridge for breakfast. You are a decent person, aren't you?

70Sevens

Jun 4, 2013
    I don't understand how you're even reading Water Cooler threads. Once you have 50 posts, the Water Cooler opens up for you in the totality if it's glory. At the rate you're going, you'll be there in about 500 years.

If you want to get there sooner, you could post a little bit more frequently, perhaps every year. That will speed things up considerably.

You must resist the temptation to start posting brief little fluff posts, such as "I agree," "Nice gun," or "Is she hot?" Many people try that, and when they get up around 48 posts or so in a single day, the mods will delete the fluff posts and knock them back down to single digits. Everyone just laughs, and merriment abounds.

There is a second way to get into the Water Cooler. It is a new policy which began last year with the new software. I can't say I really approve.
    Just as people could buy titles of nobility or military commissions in days of yore, or purchase indulgences to gain instant admission to Heaven, it is now possible to buy Water Cooler access.

But no decent person would do such a thing, any more than a true Scotsman would eat porridge for breakfast. You are a decent person, aren't you?
    OK..so its the 50 posts thing. Got it. I am just a lurker and mostly happy to read. But I do wish to post in a few threads. Yeah I guess at my rate it will take 500 years. :)

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    OK..so its the 50 posts thing. Got it. I am just a lurker and mostly happy to read. But I do wish to post in a few threads. Yeah I guess at my rate it will take 500 years. :)
    Or you can become a site supporter. The train's already left the station with that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom