• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lets pretend you are brand new to shooting handguns but are interested in improving your shooting so you'd like to get into SOME competitive aspect of the sport.
    What are some of the things you'd recommend to someone completely new?
    Training? Gear? Practice? Good places to learn?
    Thank you;
    Lori

Take NRA Basic Pistol and go from there. You could also find a patient friend or relative who would be willing to teach you.
    I highly recommend learning basic shooting skills with a .22 pistol or revolver. If you start with a "big" gun, the flinch reaction will become instilled in your brain and will be hard to get rid of once it is there.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Lets pretend you are brand new to shooting handguns but are interested in improving your shooting so you'd like to get into SOME competitive aspect of the sport.
    What are some of the things you'd recommend to someone completely new?
    Training? Gear? Practice? Good places to learn?
    Thank you;
    Lori

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=221597

Try keeping an eye on this thread. There will be plenty of actual competition shooters along shortly to give you some advice. I plan to dip my toe in that pool this summer as well. Shot trap & pistol bowling pin shoots 20 or so years ago, not since. Looking to do some IDPA & 3-gun myself. Best of luck.

Welcome to the Forumn BTW.

Take NRA Basic Pistol and go from there. You could also find a patient friend or relative who would be willing to teach you.
    I highly recommend learning basic shooting skills with a .22 pistol or revolver. If you start with a "big" gun, the flinch reaction will become instilled in your brain and will be hard to get rid of once it is there.

Already done a basic pistol class and am taking (infrequent) basic pistol technique private lessons. Shooting a 9mm (own a Glock 19).
    Also have been getting significant range time- but trying not to pick up bad habits.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=221597

Try keeping an eye on this thread. There will be plenty of actual competition shooters along shortly to give you some advice. I plan to dip my toe in that pool this summer as well. Shot trap & pistol bowling pin shoots 20 or so years ago, not since. Looking to do some IDPA & 3-gun myself. Best of luck.

Welcome to the Forumn BTW.

Thanks! 3 gun looks like so much fun- but I currently only have a handgun so I'd need to pick up (and be able to proficiently operate) the other 2 :)

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I'm a big fan of getting new folks involved in practical shooting and would be happy to give you some tips at one of my open guided practice sessions free of charge. (not including range fee).

you could also schedule private lessons of course.

Best,
    Trevor

www.targetfocus.net

I'm a big fan of getting new folks involved in practical shooting and would be happy to give you some tips at one of my open guided practice sessions free of charge. (not including range fee).

Best,
    Trevor

www.targetfocus.net

Thanks Trevor-
    Unfortunately it looks like you only have weekday/daytime availability for practice and lessons. I work in Rockville and live in Washington Co- so that doesn't help much.. Maybe I could make a practice session if I take off work..hmm

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Its already been said but I don't think it can be said enough but training and practice are the best places to start.
    I normally tell new shooters to start with a 22lr because the habits transfer, its a great introductory experience and you can shoot a lot for not much money. Nothing wrong with 9mm, I just feel 22lr is better.
    Stick with 1 maybe 2 guns and become very proficient with them. Do not continually tweak and modify them because your results will change. You want the gun and its function to be second nature.
    Consistency is extremely important (grip, stance, ammo, distance and target). You want to be able to predict everything that will happen so that you know when something is "off"

If you can join a club that does official matches, you can not only see results of your practice but normally the other shooters will give you advice and pointers too. One club I know of in Frederick county is Monocacy Pistol Club. They do multiple types of pistol matches through out the year. They are normally close to the membership cap but they do get turnover. Here is their website.

Welcome to shooting and MDShooters

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I'm going to keep an eye on this thread too. I'd love to get into some competitions in the next year or so, eventually some 3-gun as well. Like VFRgrl, I only own a single handgun for now, but a shotgun and rifle are on my list once I can afford it later this year. Unfortunately the IRS took a much larger than expected share this year and virtually wiped out my savings. Good ol' tax man...

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I got started after taking some defensive shooting classes, including some with the BigT5g+ himself. Then found a local club that hosted matches, read up on what the hoops were (in my case, I had to attend an orientation/observation/safety class) and then jumped right in the following match. People were super-cool, and welcoming. From there, joined IDPA and created a PracticeScore account (to sign up for matches.)

As for equipment, training classes should tell you what you should bring. The various shooting sports will have equipment rules too, which are all online. Between those constraints, and the brain trust that is MDShooters, you should be able to get a good sense for what you need. And don't sweat the equipment too much - most people I know have gone through many iterations of what they use.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    If there is no outdoor range close to you, get an indoor range membership. Then look up some shooting drills and practice them at the range regularly (think weekly). You'll improve quickly.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Easiest pistol competition to get started is bowling pins. You're standing still, you might even start at the low ready position instead of holstered.

Next is probably steel challenge.

I would take bigt5g up on his offer.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Thanks Trevor-
    Unfortunately it looks like you only have weekday/daytime availability for practice and lessons. I work in Rockville and live in Washington Co- so that doesn't help much.. Maybe I could make a practice session if I take off work..hmm

Take that day off! I’ve done several days with Trevor and have walked away with a lot of improvements, knowledge, confidence, and awesome times!

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the kind words.

I will say if ur gonna take off work, schedule private training lessons rather than attend an open guided practice. You'll get a lot more out of it since I will be focused soley on you.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My late wife got me shooting a few Bullseye matches at Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick when we moved from Mt. Airy. From there I started shooting their steel matches and got a lot of help from some really good shooters (mainly Robby Orent). Did a lot of practice as my house was right down the road from the club. My first match outside the club was the 2008 PSA Shootout in PA. Then I started shooting Steel Challenge, USPSA, and IDPA. Starting in 2011 until 2017 I shot every Rimfire Challenge World Championship where ever in the US it was (still my favorite event). Shot 3-gun for 2 plus years until my knees started giving me problems (surgery on one next month). Only class I went to was in Steel Challenge for 3 days with multi-time world champ Max Michel.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its already been said but I don't think it can be said enough but training and practice are the best places to start.
    I normally tell new shooters to start with a 22lr because the habits transfer, its a great introductory experience and you can shoot a lot for not much money. Nothing wrong with 9mm, I just feel 22lr is better.
    Stick with 1 maybe 2 guns and become very proficient with them. Do not continually tweak and modify them because your results will change. You want the gun and its function to be second nature.
    Consistency is extremely important (grip, stance, ammo, distance and target). You want to be able to predict everything that will happen so that you know when something is "off"

If you can join a club that does official matches, you can not only see results of your practice but normally the other shooters will give you advice and pointers too. One club I know of in Frederick county is Monocacy Pistol Club. They do multiple types of pistol matches through out the year. They are normally close to the membership cap but they do get turnover. Here is their website.

Welcome to shooting and MDShooters

Best,
    Trevor

www.targetfocus.net

My late wife got me shooting a few Bullseye matches at Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick when we moved from Mt. Airy. From there I started shooting their steel matches and got a lot of help from some really good shooters (mainly Robby Orent). Did a lot of practice as my house was right down the road from the club. My first match outside the club was the 2008 PSA Shootout in PA. Then I started shooting Steel Challenge, USPSA, and IDPA. Starting in 2011 until 2017 I shot every Rimfire Challenge World Championship where ever in the US it was (still my favorite event). Shot 3-gun for 2 plus years until my knees started giving me problems (surgery on one next month). Only class I went to was in Steel Challenge for 3 days with multi-time world champ Max Michel.

The best advice!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i am shooting the morning steel match at shadow hawk this saturday (28th), it's above winchester and below hagerstown. this is a uspsa-style, run around and shoot stuff, match. most any handgun, and also pistol caliber carbines. you're (anyone on this thread) welcome to come and spectate and ask me all the questions you want and i will go over the basic stuff with you (mostly safety related, but also guns, gear and the like). starts around 9.

there is also a uspsa match (run around and shoot stuff, mostly paper/cardboard targets and some steel) sunday at thurmont above frederick. it's full and i am currently waitlisted, but if i get in, same deal there. starts around 10 i believe.

also, this thursday, 26th, i am doing an idpa (also run around and shoot stuff, but with concealed carry) match at thurmont. same deal there.

both of these are a great opportunity to see what is going on, see a ton of guns and gear, and talk with shooters to see what they like and don't and what may work for you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As a beginning shooter don't obsess over Competition Yet .

As a new shooter , focus on Fundamentals of Marksmanship . 98% of "advanced shooting" is fundamentals, done well .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you intend to start competitive shooting, pick up five or six good magazines, a good holster that is IDPA and USPSA legal, and a few good magazine holders. Practice dry fire and drawing and reloading on top of what you are doing now.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010

Best,
    Trevor

www.targetfocus.net

Hey Trevor,

I took a 2 day class with you last spring in the pouring rain. I had a great time and learned a lot. When/Where do you have the guided practice sessions?

Thanks,
    Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom