• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yeah, I actually agree with that. I've shot full auto and it's a lot of fun. I don't see the difference between using bump stocks and popping in a full auto sear.

I respect the intent of what you said, and probably the general public and a number of 2A proponents would agree with you. But the ATF disagrees, as does the letter of the law, and these things matter:

An automatic weapon fires more than 1 cartridge per trigger pull
    - NFA

Bump fires DO NOT violate this definition, at least not in its mechanical sense. If Congress decides that the spirit of the NFA has been violated, then they need to pass a new law clarifying that the use of any device--or even holding the gun in such a fashion--where recoil can be used to speed up the rate of fire in a semi-auto gun is illegal.

This is a dangerous line to cross. I've watched shooters (far better than me) who can put multiple rounds accurately and quickly on target without bump firing. See where this is going? How fast is illegally fast? Double-taps are now illegal, even in self-defense, unless you have a minimum of X number of seconds in between them.

If all Congress did was ban bump stocks--to avoid this slippery slope of rate of fire being the important measurement of a machine gun--then bump stocks aren't the only way to speed it up. There are other ways.

In either scenario the law fails at securing public safety. Criminals don't care--it was already illegal to shoot into a crowd of people and he could've been more lethal with aimed fire. It just further erodes the rights of those of us who own and shoot legally.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I respect the intent of what you said, and probably the general public and a number of 2A proponents would agree with you. But the ATF disagrees, as does the letter of the law, and these things matter:

Bump fires DO NOT violate this definition, at least not in its mechanical sense. If Congress decides that the spirit of the NFA has been violated, then they need to pass a new law clarifying that the use of any device--or even holding the gun in such a fashion--where recoil can be used to speed up the rate of fire in a semi-auto gun is illegal.

This is a dangerous line to cross. I've watched shooters (far better than me) who can put multiple rounds accurately and quickly on target without bump firing. See where this is going? How fast is illegally fast? Double-taps are now illegal, even in self-defense, unless you have a minimum of X number of seconds in between them.

If all Congress did was ban bump stocks--to avoid this slippery slope of rate of fire being the important measurement of a machine gun--then bump stocks aren't the only way to speed it up. There are other ways.

In either scenario the law fails at securing public safety. Criminals don't care--it was already illegal to shoot into a crowd of people and he could've been more lethal with aimed fire. It just further erodes the rights of those of us who own and shoot legally.

People are forgetting there are ways to slow semi auto as well. Wonder when that Bill comes. Just slow the reset of trigger with something like a dashpot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom