Do I Really Need a Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Why do I suddenly want one of these: http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/16950.html ???

The only reasons I can come up with are:
    • I have a Ruger American Ranch chambered in 300 BLK. It's bedded in a Boyd's stock and I love its accuracy.
    • Lately I've been shooting my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in 45-70. That rifle and I have become a team. Many hand loading options and I'm casting boolits to feed it.
    • I'm thinking having a blend of 300 BLK and 45-70 might be a big bunch of fun!

On the other hand:
    • Reloading 450 Bushmaster rounds means ordering yet another die set, brass, bullets etc. etc. (Heck - I reload over 30 calibers already :banghead:)
    • Compared to loading 45-70 or 300 BLK, it looks like 450 Bushmaster components are pricey. I'd have to buy items I don't already have on hand.
    • I'd need to get a scope setup and would likely want to replace the factory stock with much better furniture.

So, please help me out:
    • Do any MDS members have a Ruger American 450 Bushmaster?
    • What's been your experiences?
    • Are you loading your own 450 BM ammo?
    • If so, what dies, bullets and powder are you using?

I'm wide open to your input and thoughts.

Is going down this path a good idea? If it's not, please talk me off the ledge...

:shrug:

Attachments

• Ruger Bushmaster Capture.JPG
      Ruger Bushmaster Capture.JPG
      10.2 KB · Views: 1,521
    • DSC07794 SNIP.jpg
      DSC07794 SNIP.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 2,230
    • DSC07773 SNIP.jpg
      DSC07773 SNIP.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 1,573

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can't help talk you down, as I seem to wander the path of the occasional 'oddball' cartridge in inventory.

Suppressed, that'd be a really fun rifle. (If I'm not going to talk you down, I may as well give you a nudge...)

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Not much help here. I just got an AR pistol in .223 Wylde and I'm already jonesing for an upper in 300 AAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes

You need a Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster.

It is a threaded barrel too, you can add a suppressor :)

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I will try to talk you down...sort of. A shooting buddy of mine was interested in the same rifle,but he has decided to wait citing among other things the high price of reloading components and their availability. He would also like to see if other manufacturers pick up on the caliber and then maybe the costs would improve. I tried to help him out by sending him this link https://www.gricegunshop.com/rug16950-ruger-american-ranch-450-bushmaster-16-12-fde.html $419 not too bad of a price,better than what I've seen locally.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That would be a kick ass little brush gun. It's a shame they didn't offer iron sights on it.

You only really *Need* one or two Guns....... but we don't need to go focusing on that. Buy away!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    1.). It seems like the 45-70 would cover the same application as the 450 BM, especially in a strong modern nontrapdoor rifle. You shoot your 45-70 well so that's a big factor there.

If hogs or bigger are your game perhaps a Ruger SRHK in 454 Casull would fill a niche in the armory.

2.). Flip side is one configeration gun in several calibers to fill specific power and ballistics needs...familiarity will always be there. Wallet will take a beating...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I can't help you with your questions, but I've always believed that if you want it, buy it. Life is too short to deny your wants and wishes. As long as you're not taking money from the household, I say go for it.

Just remember the Jim Smith Investment Plan. Put your money in the bank and you may make a little on it. Put your money into the purchase of a firearm, and you get to enjoy it, have fun and contemplate the meaning of life. After all of that and a few years, you can probably sell it for as much as you bought it for. Sometimes you can even make a little money.

I actually have the wife convinced in this and to be honest it has worked. I recently sold a bunch of guns for an average price of just less than $1300. I paid no more than $500 for each of them in the mid to late 90's.

Show me a savings account that can do that!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I hear Van Halen's song Jump playing in the background. So do as it says and jump off the ledge :)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've got Hornady dies for it, might need to work a deal, just saying. ;)

Seems to me my 45-70 journey began with a set of dies you no longer needed.
    I know I can count on my Hooligan friends to steer me in the right direction... :innocent0

:lol2:

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can't help you with your questions, but I've always believed that if you want it, buy it. Life is too short to deny your wants and wishes. As long as you're not taking money from the household, I say go for it.

Just remember the Jim Smith Investment Plan. Put your money in the bank and you may make a little on it. Put your money into the purchase of a firearm, and you get to enjoy it, have fun and contemplate the meaning of life. After all of that and a few years, you can probably sell it for as much as you bought it for. Sometimes you can even make a little money.

I actually have the wife convinced in this and to be honest it has worked. I recently sold a bunch of guns for an average price of just less than $1300. I paid no more than $500 for each of them in the mid to late 90's.

Show me a savings account that can do that!

Just think if you'd bought a dozen SKS 15 or 20 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom